Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Questions About QRPp Contesting  (Read 4148 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

I may regret it, but yesterday I attempted to lower the output of my normally 5 watt OHR-100a 40-meter QRP kit transceiver to 100mW.

My Autek WM-1 power meter seems to be quite accurate down to 5 watts and perhaps even one watt. What I did was measure my output in dBm on my Flex-5000 receiver at 5 watts and reduce that by 17.0 dB which should be about 100 mW. I set the Flex to read in tenths of a dBm, although I don't normally have it that way.

A neat feature of the Oak Hills radio is a screwdriver adjustable pot on the back to set transmitter output. 100 mW didn't seem to be close to the minimum.  Anyone know how low an OHR-100a will go?

The first CQ I answered was a 579 W9 station. I called; he CQ'd again... Welcome to QRPp.  Next I replied to a 589 W4 and hit paydirt... sorta. He gave me a 439 but North Carolina was farther than I would have expected. 6500 Miles Per Watt from St Louis. We had a brief ragchew which was easy for me. He was running a KW.

Question: How do you send QRPp power levels? I used "100 mW," repeating "mw" a few times. I've also heard stations use "r" for decimal point. ie "r100."

Also, any suggestions for a good QRPp focused contest to play in? Eventual goal would be some long haul Qs in the CQWW CW this fall.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:12:23 AM by K0OD » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »

For QRPp mw is standard and most all QRPers use this for below 1 watt power.

For contest check out QRP ARCI, i.e. Spring QSO, Hoot Owl and Flight of the Bumble Bees although not strictly a QRPp contest you get multiplier points for using QRPp.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »

I always use "mw". For instance "700 mw", or "QRP 700 mw". I usually don't send "QRPp" just in case the op at the other end gets confused. I figure many times when operating at mW levels I'm probably not real loud anyway, so I try to keep it fairly simple unless the other op indicates a really good copy.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I want to make my QRPp exchanges as clear as possible. Can't wait to test it cranked way down in a QRPp contest.

A neat feature of the Oak Hills radio is a screwdriver adjustable pot on the back to set transmitter output. 100 mW didn't seem to be close to the minimum.  Anyone know how low an OHR-100a will go?

Zillions of OHR-100 kits have been sold over about 15 years. You'd think there'd be some online discussion of its MINIMUM output power but I can't find a thing.

I'm seeing about 33 dB drop on my Flex 5000's meter as I turn the OHR-100's pot down from max  (about 6 watts) to minimum. So very roughly the minimum output is around 5 mW. My radio seemed to key just fine at that level... which is pretty neat. 
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 11:03:03 PM »

Funny this should come up. About a month ago I was sitting on 14.060 at about 0200Z when I heard a VE6 in Calgary calling CQ a bit down freq and signing QRPP. I answered him running a massive 5 watts. Turned out he was running 150 mw (which is, incidentally how he sent it) and we had a very nice QSO. After we signed I listened to him calling CQ for another 15 minutes and he was a good, solid 579. I've been a QRPer for a long time but this kind of thing continues to amaze me!

So hang in there.

Doc WB0FDJ
ZS6DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »

I have competed in many contests running QRP, but not really specialized QRP contests, just the normal CQ WW CW/SSB DX and WPX contests. I never sign /qrp in a contests only when DX'ing and rag-chewing.

In the past I normally ran 2.5W or 4W depending on the radio I am using, my next challenge would be to drop below 1W for a major contest and not just when playing around.

I have had good results running QRP in the major contests, like making over 1000 contacts in 90 countries over a weekend. Also won a few certificates and set a continental record (Africa) in 2002 that still stands today.

When I do sign /qrp and need to send the power I use "4W", for power levels below 1W I use "200 mw"

I love QRP and contesting, they make a great combination!
73, Rudi de ZS6DX/V51VE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: