Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Tcvr for 80  (Read 3403 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »

I am not a QRP person, have always been the other end of the scale.

But there are several ZL based contests that are really for the QRP station, these are mainly on 80 cw.

I suppose I could just turn the power down on the big rig and run sort of 5 Watts, but that is always open to temptation.

What is a nice rig for 80 QRP CW.

Any suggestions?  would a Flex1500 be overkill for this?

Would prefer an off the shelf rather than buil rig, got too many projects as it is.

Thanks  Gavin ZL1BBW

ps if it covered 40 as well that would be a bonus, but by no means essential.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:50:32 PM by ZL1BBW » Logged

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »

Hi, Gavin:

Here ya' go:

http://www.tentec.com/hb1b-four-band-cw-qrp-transceiver-80-40-30-20-meters/

Personally, I've owned, used, abused, and love my Ten-Tec R4020. It's a great radio for field use, but has been discontinued and replaced by the 4 band model. If the new model works as well as mine, I can attest to the durability and performance of the product line.

Besides, if TT is willing to put their name on it, it's gotta be good!

Karl
N7DMA
Tucson, AZ

WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »

Gavin

Karl's suggest is a good one, I've heard quite a few HB1B's on the air and their owners always seem to say good things about them.

You mention the Flex 1500. I have one and have to say, for the money you get a lot of radio. The receiver alone is worth the investment and has an unbelievable number of features, not the least of which is the filtering. If the radio has a drawback it's the latency present when you operate CW. I use an outboard keyer/paddle combination, bypassing use of the built in keyer and that solves the problem completely. I've run mine during QRP ARCI contests and found it to be very competent. I paid more money for my then new IC-703+ and FT-817ND and didn't get half the receiver in either of them so I don't see the 1500 as overkill at all.

Doc WB0FDJ
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »

Gavin

Karl's suggest is a good one, I've heard quite a few HB1B's on the air and their owners always seem to say good things about them.

You mention the Flex 1500. I have one and have to say, for the money you get a lot of radio. The receiver alone is worth the investment and has an unbelievable number of features, not the least of which is the filtering. If the radio has a drawback it's the latency present when you operate CW. I use an outboard keyer/paddle combination, bypassing use of the built in keyer and that solves the problem completely. I've run mine during QRP ARCI contests and found it to be very competent. I paid more money for my then new IC-703+ and FT-817ND and didn't get half the receiver in either of them so I don't see the 1500 as overkill at all.

Doc WB0FDJ

Thanks Doc, I was hoping to hear from a 1500 user re the latency issue.  I personally hate internal keyers, I love my old sit on the desk in a die cast box keyer, just upgraded with  Kent paddles.

The price of a 1500 is now pretty well down there at $659.

Is the Tx reasonably clean? do you get good reports? on keying quality.

The other thing I am thinking about is a simple little K1.

Thanks  Gavin

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »

Gavin

Re: the 1500's transmit quality. I've never had a negative report and when I first put it on the air I asked several times, got all "FB" answers, so quit asking. You can set the ramp time of the leading and trailing edge in the software. I use a softer keying and think the keying quality is very good.

You idea of a K1 sounds pretty good actually. While I can honestly extoll the virtues of the 1500 I don't use it on a daily basis. For simple, "I just wanna tune around and make a few contacts" I find myself using a Ten Tec Argonaut 509 which I found off ePay in pristine condition. I use a digital dial (Oak Hills Research DD-1) and a SCAF filter and have had a blast with it. Sometimes simpler is better.

Good luck. If you have any other questions about the 1500 drop me an email off list and I'll be glad to answer them.

Doc WB0FDJ
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 04:24:09 AM »

The MKARS80 is primarily a phone kit for 80m but a CW adapter is now available for it:
http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/mkars80page.html
http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/cw_adapter/

I've built two of these kits (though w/o the CW adapter) and have no problem recommending them.

John AE5X

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »

The MKARS80 is primarily a phone kit for 80m but a CW adapter is now available for it:
http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/mkars80page.html
http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/cw_adapter/

I've built two of these kits (though w/o the CW adapter) and have no problem recommending them.
John AE5X
X2, though the original poster said he already had enough "projects".  Cheesy

I have built the MKARS80 and have the CW Adaptor Kit but have
not yet built the CW adaptor.
NOTE: I *highly* recommend that if you go with the MKARS80 & CW Adaptor
that you add the Varactor with the 10 Turn Pot Tuning Mod.
(You can find it
on the Net, this mod is identical to the BITX20A Varactor & 10 Turn Pot Tuning Mod
This is an inexpensive, SIMPLE, no brainer mod that will immensly improve tuning abilities, especially for CW.

This is a really fun to build, high quality parts, great assembly instructions,
well performing inexpensive QRP kit rig.
Sure, 80m QRP, CW or SSB is a challenge! Smiley
But the challenge is doubly rewarded when you make the QSO
with a rig you built yourself....IMHO.
That's what I like about QRP......building my own rigs
and the resulting very rewarding QSO's.
Whatever way you go.....Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
73, Ken  AD6KA
PS: Another poster mentioned the Elecraft K1.
Can't get much better than that for a trail CW QRP rig,
though you are spending more money and effort (to build it,
but tat's 3/4 of the fun!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: