Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K1 vs. KX1  (Read 7519 times)
WE2F

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »

It's time for an Elecraft. I cannot decide between these two. I'm not interested in SSB or the price tag, so the KX3 is out. Which would you choose and why?
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »

Both rigs have strong points.  I have had a KX1 for about 10 years and chose it for its very small size and weight.  Also it has a DDS vfo which is stable at about any temperature.  I travel and backpack so size and weight are important.  However if you are looking for a desktop rig, the K1 has a somewhat better receiver and more power which some folks consider important.  The KX1 lacks 15 and 17 meters, which could be an important band if your interest is DX.  For example a 4 band board for the K1 could include 40, 30, 20, and 17(or 15) meters. The K1 probably is more comfortable to operate on a table at home and its larger controls and display may be appreciated.  I have personally been very happy with my KX1 both in a tent or at home with its 1.5 to 3.5 watts output.  Usually I can make good QSO's on either 20 or 40 meters from the lower 48 states and Europe.  Sometimes things are not so good from my home in Alaska or Northern Norway......but then even a KW often will not help.  If money is important, the two band (20 and 40 meters) version of either rig will yield thousands of QSO's and additional band(s) can be added later.  Although not Elecraft quality, the Hendricks PFR3A has many very good features and provides a full 5 Watts, DDS, built in tuner which can match even end fed half waves, and gives you 3 bands.  I have one of these also...it really works, but is a bit different.  Probably it gives you the most "bang for the buck".  However my KX1 is still my favorite, although I could live with any of these 3 rigs.
            Rick  KL7CW   Palmer,   Alaska
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 02:46:14 AM »

As above both excellent rigs, but beware the K1 is best suited for the shack or sedate picnic table portable and if you get the optional band modules they are not a quick change out. My K1 (main rig) stays at home where it belongs. The KX1 is great for casual portable but if your into backpacking or more rough and tumble ops they're relatively fragile. I sold my KX1 and built a Weber tri bander, and along with my MFJ Cubs will handle my type of portable ops.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:40:34 AM by W1JKA » Logged
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:03:24 AM »

I have a K3, K2, K1 plus a home made TX & RX. The K2 is on permanent holiday duty in Spain. The one that is hardly ever used is the K1...

My favourite tends to be the home made TX & RX.

It's time for an Elecraft. I'm not interested in SSB or the price tag, so the KX3 is out.
If I didn't already have the K2, I would pick a KX3 without hesitation as it's a far superior radio to the K2, K1 or KX1. You mentioned not being interested in SSB, the mic is an optional extra!
A K1 kit is a pleasure to build and works well, although there are some limitations:
A. You are limited for band choice
B. The receiver has only average dynamic range and image rejection
C. There is VFO drift, but can be tamed with an X-Lock or similar
D. The optional internal ATU is not as wide range as some and sometimes struggles with doublet and similar antennas.

73 Dave
WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »

Well the Dayton Ham gods helped me decide. I found a 4-band K1 for $250.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 06:02:34 AM »

Well the Dayton Ham gods helped me decide. I found a 4-band K1 for $250.

I think you will find the K1 is a "real radio."  Have fun!

K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:28:38 AM »

WA3SEE and I use his K1 in periodic hiking/operating efforts, like Summit on the Air. We also used it last year for a QRP Field Day effort from a local state park. Great CW rig, especially the receiver. Takes a while to get used to how you change parameters, but once you are on the right band and tuned up, it is a great little CW rig to take along when you will have a picnic table or some other usable place to set it on.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

I was making that same decision a couple of years ago.  I went with the KX1 because of the internal batteries.  Turns out that the internal batteries don't allow more than a watt or so output power.  Probably should have tried the K1.

My 2 cents.

73, JP, K8AG
WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 06:33:56 AM »

I hate to admit this, but I haven't powered the K1 on fore more than ten minutes yet. Work has been impossible! However, I can attest to the RX quality. I was able to clearly hear signals my Icom 7410 couldn't hear in that ten minute session. I also got parts to build a small 2200 mAh batery pack for quick getaways.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »

Re: WE2F:

FWIW, For the past 4 years I have run my home shack based K1 (main rig) from a $39.00 auto jump start battery with a cheap $19.00 solar/controller battery maintenance panel from HF that sits in a NE window. No problems and have never run out of juice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: