Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 54031 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »

Now that Windows XP is no longer supported-thanks Microsoft for putting your customers ahead of the almighty dollar$-I am sure that plenty of us don't want to/don't need to/can't afford to buy a new computer with Windows 7 or 8 on it.  So, given that plenty of us are still using XP, has anyone noticed any problems with still using XP now that it isn't supported?

73 John AF5CC
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »

Other than the cosmetic annoyance of the warning in red from Security essentials that OS Support has ended, no

I've been using Netscape and then Firefox so I never had to worry about Internet Explorer even when it was getting updated.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:27:15 AM »

Nope.  I've reloaded XP onto one older desktop and my laptop since the ending of support and both times Microsoft's website supplied the upgrades to the point (date) of support ending.  No problem activating XP either.

I agree with 'QEX--use Firefox or some other browser than IE along with a good security/anti-virus program and you should have no problems.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:57:55 AM »

I got the OEM W7 from Tiger direct for about $100.  All that means is I'm stuck with it on this computer.  Got 8GB ram for $50 and did a clean install to W7.  After it's all done and sorting a new 'look', hard to tell the diff.  Other thing is go to HP and find a cheap used W7 computer.  I wouldn't have done it except I had a decent HD and fast AMD dual core processor.  If you don't have at least 2-3GB fast processor, I'd go for a new cheap used.  I also bought a cheap $60 1TB HD and put all my old stuff on that for storage, still keeping all my stored stuff on there.  I put all my docs on the TB to keep the decent Raptor HD clean.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 06:47:06 AM »

Still using XP. Still able to access sites with no issues.

The only issue was Firefox forced update to #29 and the UI looks like crap and Forecast Fox is incompatible with FF#29. Looks like FF screwed up big time, perhaps FF is trying to pattern their OS after Windows 8...

Still using Windows XP Pro.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

Try Pale Moon, based on Firefox optimised for Windoze. I'm using it atm

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »

I upgraded my last XP machine to Win7 only because I wanted to make sure all my client systems are on the same OS.  Win XP should still be perfectly usable for at least another 2-3 years so long as your uses for it don't get too demanding.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »

XP users are in luck if they hated those pesky security updates: There won't be any more of them.

If you are connected to the Internet with a once popular but now unsupported OS, good luck to you.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »

If you are connected to the Internet with a once popular but now unsupported OS, good luck to you.

Yes it will be like playing Russian Roulette and starting with one bullet in cylinder and every few months adding another until one day it is sure to go off/fail.  

Personally I fail to see/understand the lust some have to keep a 15 year old OS alive that does not even support modern hardware and concepts.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:21:07 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »

I don't think its going to be that bad as long as you are not visiting questionable sites, downloading and installing software. The antivirus software mfgs are still supporting XP so you are only missing the Microsoft provided updates. Maybe XP will turn out to be like MAC - too small of a target for most hackers to mess with.  Wink

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »

No, that's why I reminded all that XP used to be huge, and it is still sort of big - and now that it is unsupported, it will be a very popular target for vulnerabilities. And once they are well known, the ever numerous script-kiddies will exploit them. This mentality of "we go to the Internet with the OS we have", is stupid.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »

Yes it will be like playing Russian Roulette and starting with one bullet in cylinder and every few months adding another until one day it is sure to go off/fail.  

Personally I fail to see/understand the lust some have to keep a 15 year old OS alive that does not even support modern hardware and concepts.

Well some people might be a bit adverse about tossing out perfectly running computers just because the software company decided to orphan the OS. And what would people replace the computers with ...Windows 8?  lmao

Go ahead continue to use XP, I really don't suggest doing any kind of financial stuff like online banking for another year. But for basic stuff like posting to forums, listening to tunes or anything else, go ahead. Remember it was April 2014 when Microsoft stopped supporting it, not April 2010.

My wife's employer in Cincinnati will be transitioning from XP to Windows 7 and Not Windows 8 over the next few weeks. If a major company that deals with health records and financials is still using XP. I guess the rest of us should be OK for just a bit longer.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:21:05 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 05:31:50 PM »

Yes, because a big company doesn't care more for it's bottom line than its customers security.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:48 PM »

Anybody remember Y2K?  Wink
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

Well some people might be a bit adverse about tossing out perfectly running computers just because the software company decided to orphan the OS. And what would people replace the computers with ...Windows 8?  lmao

If you like living in stone age maybe. I do not look on a old slow XP computer as a perfectly good machine to keep alive.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: