Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 47531 times)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2014, 03:35:39 AM »

Funny this "End of Support" for XP. Microsoft has issued the update "Malicious Software Removal Tool June 2014"

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2014, 04:51:14 AM »

Funny this "End of Support" for XP. Microsoft has issued the update "Malicious Software Removal Tool June 2014"

Dah..... It is a app that runs on all versions that is updating not OS.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »

It's a little bit funny....Smiley
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »

Dah..... It is a app that runs on all versions that is updating not OS.

A) An "app is what you download for free or for 2.99 on your phone or tablet
B) as for "Malicious Software Removal Tool" if MS had male reproductive glands, they would have just cut of XP from any kind of update for any reasons whatsoever.
Instead they depend on fear instilling tactics and the promise of a better life "after XP".
All that's missing from their tactic is twelve virgins and eternal happiness.

So....since you seem to know soooooo much about the importance  of a "supported" OS, perhaps you could point out an windows XP update  that made it more secure for the "everyday user" instead of those vague "an unauthenticated user could gain access to your  network and run code with elevated privileges" type of "updates".
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »

A) An app is an application and computers have been running applications for as long as I can remember (DOS).
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »

So....since you seem to know soooooo much about the importance  of a "supported" OS, perhaps you could point out an windows XP update  that made it more secure for the "everyday user" instead of those vague "an unauthenticated user could gain access to your  network and run code with elevated privileges" type of "updates".

If your XP machine is not connected to internet and you never add files from public sources you have no worries. But if you surf and download you are playing with fire. Too much to possibly loose and nothing to gain sticking with XP.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2014, 01:45:16 AM »

If your XP machine is not connected to internet and you never add files from public sources you have no worries. But if you surf and download you are playing with fire. Too much to possibly loose and nothing to gain sticking with XP.

What I have gained so far by continuing to use XP is exactly that.
I just keep doing "my thing" uninterrupted, without spending any time having to get use to or re-figure out anything..

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »

Quote from: KF6QEX on June 14, 2014, 03:04:35 PM

Why am I playing with fire?
I have my connection behind a router with its firewall. My AV is up to date. I also use Comodo firewall. I use Spybot and Malwarebytes. I dont use Internet Explorer.
As I have stated before, this machine also has Win7 and Kubuntu (Linux) but I prefer XP (Would be Win98se but it doesn't work on this setup) and I dont hold with this FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) that is being spread about Microsoft's attempts to kill off XP

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »

Quote from: KF6QEX on June 14, 2014, 03:04:35 PM

Why am I playing with fire?
I have my connection behind a router with its firewall. My AV is up to date. I also use Comodo firewall. I use Spybot and Malwarebytes. I dont use Internet Explorer.
As I have stated before, this machine also has Win7 and Kubuntu (Linux) but I prefer XP (Would be Win98se but it doesn't work on this setup) and I dont hold with this FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) that is being spread about Microsoft's attempts to kill off XP

Your efforts are noble but you are not safe as you think. Security flaws in OS are not protected with add on software or router firewall. I do not miss XP at all.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »

Earlier this year, wasn't there all kinds of dire, panicky predictions of financial doom because of all the ATM machines that supposedly run on WIndows XP and were going to be wide open to attack by all the computer crooks out there because MS was "ending support"?

What ever happened to that?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »

Earlier this year, wasn't there all kinds of dire, panicky predictions of financial doom because of all the ATM machines that supposedly run on WIndows XP and were going to be wide open to attack by all the computer crooks out there because MS was "ending support"?

What ever happened to that?

They are clients in a closed network protected by secure servers and VPN's. Nothing like a home Internet client. Any fear mongering was by those that do not understand this setup and love to insight fear. 

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »

Any fear mongering was by those that do not understand this setup and love to insight fear. 

You don't say!

Kinda makes you wonder if this network you speak of was any more open or closed, more or less protected than the Target or the Adobe network.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »

Any fear mongering was by those that do not understand this setup and love to insight fear. 

You don't say!

Kinda makes you wonder if this network you speak of was any more open or closed, more or less protected than the Target or the Adobe network.

They hacked into servers that were running a flavor of Unix. It was not on client side per say. There are people out there that spend 24/7 trying to hack systems. Full time job keeping them out.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

Not only that, but if you change a single registry entry you can fool MS into giving your Windows XP upgrades until at least 2019, by telling Software Update that you are running Windows XP Point of Sale version.  MS really has no way to detect that you aren't, which is pretty funny.  So continue to run XP for at least 5 years and feel secure knowing that you will have the latest updates regardless of MS's FUD to the contrary.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »

Not only that, but if you change a single registry entry you can fool MS into giving your Windows XP upgrades until at least 2019, by telling Software Update that you are running Windows XP Point of Sale version.  MS really has no way to detect that you aren't, which is pretty funny.  So continue to run XP for at least 5 years and feel secure knowing that you will have the latest updates regardless of MS's FUD to the contrary.

Oh gee let's find another reason to not move forward and instead move backwards in computer world and still be using XP when there is Win 11 or 12 and maybe a bit of AI in it too. 

Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: