Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 55752 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »

Oh gee let's find another reason to not move forward and instead move backwards in computer world and still be using XP when there is Win 11 or 12 and maybe a bit of AI in it too. 

Except Metro is not "moving forward". It is more like a long fall off a cliff.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »

It is gaining momentum. For MS to stay with a 7 style GUI in smart phone and tablet world would be a death sentence.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »

Just because something is newer doesn't mean that it is better.
W4KYR I agree with what you say about Metro, definitely a backwards step, kind of reminds me of GEM.
Microsoft are already backpedaling on Metro, indeed all the people that were involved with Metro have either been sacked or left or shunted sideways (Ballmer, Sinofsky and a shed load of others)

The mistake was to shove a tablet GUI onto a desktop which hacked off a lot of computer users.
Also Windows 7 usage is increasing not decreasing which suggests there are people out there upgrading Win8 to Win7

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »

Funny this "End of Support" for XP. Microsoft has issued the update "Malicious Software Removal Tool June 2014"

Not only that, but if you change a single registry entry you can fool MS into giving your Windows XP upgrades until at least 2019, by telling Software Update that you are running Windows XP Point of Sale version.  MS really has no way to detect that you aren't, which is pretty funny.  So continue to run XP for at least 5 years and feel secure knowing that you will have the latest updates regardless of MS's FUD to the contrary.

Oh gee let's find another reason to not move forward and instead move backwards in computer world and still be using XP when there is Win 11 or 12 and maybe a bit of AI in it too. 

First, I don't know if there is anything a person can do with Windows 8 that they can't do with XP.  Second, Microsoft AI is a very scary concept, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who won't want any truck with it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »

There is a correlation between Windows and Linux. When Ubuntu came out with it's default GUI called "Unity" everyone hated it (and still do). (Sound familiar?)

Ubuntu started losing popularity (if it were possible) to Linux Mint which ironically is built from Ubuntu. But Linux Mint is a much more refined Ubuntu without Unity and seems more or less to "work out of the box" much better than Ubuntu does.

While it is true you can install another GUI with Ubuntu and tweak it all out. But Linux Mint does that pretty well already.

Again, if Microsoft really cared for their customers they would have given the user a choice between Metro or lets say "Classic Windows Desktop" .  All that would be needed is for the user to log out and choose a different desktop to his or her liking.

So Microsoft would never do something like that? Well they did in Control Panel, you have a choice between the "Category View" or "Classic View" . Just a click to your liking. Why did they not give the user the same choice to click between Metro and "Classic Windows Desktop" ? This is in my opinion utter stupidity.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »

First, I don't know if there is anything a person can do with Windows 8 that they can't do with XP.  Second, Microsoft AI is a very scary concept, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who won't want any truck with it.

Touch screen, (tablets and laptops with touch screen) live tiles, email while sleeping and many neat apps like Flipboard news app that will run on Driod, IOS, Win8x and RT but nothing else. this and many more things. Within about a year every desktop and laptop PC made will also have a touch screen. Go ahead ham string yourself with XP.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »

I will take up that Bet!
Although to be fair it's like taking candy from a baby.
All you need to do is look at the win8 updates, each one is making it more and more like win7.
Ver8.11 I am told is now almost identical to win7.

Apple is not making any moves in the touch screen direction at least none I am aware of and neither is Linux.  I can't say I follow those other OS's but I do know that in one year the market is not going to make that radical change, not after the beating MS got with win8.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »

Touch screen, (tablets and laptops with touch screen) live tiles, email while sleeping and many neat apps like Flipboard news app that will run on Driod, IOS, Win8x and RT but nothing else. this and many more things. Within about a year every desktop and laptop PC made will also have a touch screen. Go ahead ham string yourself with XP.

Live tiles?  We had that in Windows 98 with the Live! Desktop.  Email while sleeping is a non-starter - what am I doing with my computer when it sleeps?  As soon as it wakes up it fetches my email.  As far as news goes, isn't it true that some of the built in Metro news and weather apps have banner ads?  Seems like just another way to shove ads in my face.

I am sitting in front of a gigantic monitor that's 2' away - why would I want a touch screen for that?  My arm would fall off.

I'll stick with XP in a VirtualBox, and use my Mac the way that it was intended - with a mouse!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2014, 04:44:40 AM »

Live tiles?  We had that in Windows 98 with the Live! Desktop.  Email while sleeping is a non-starter - what am I doing with my computer when it sleeps?  As soon as it wakes up it fetches my email.  As far as news goes, isn't it true that some of the built in Metro news and weather apps have banner ads?  Seems like just another way to shove ads in my face.

Live tiles is nothing like old Win desktop. It is new from bottom up and is support by OS and programs coded to exploit it. Nice feature. None of my tiles show ads but some free apps have them when app is full open just like old windows. Again Flipboard is a awesome news app that does not run in old Windows world because GUI cannot support it.

I am sitting in front of a gigantic monitor that's 2' away - why would I want a touch screen for that?  My arm would fall off.

You must be in pretty poor shape if arm would fall off. There are times that touching is a natural jester and Win 8x supports both.

I'll stick with XP in a VirtualBox, and use my Mac the way that it was intended - with a mouse!

Yes stay firmly in past with XP as change marches on and hold on tight to that 30 year old well dated one button mouse and its limitations too

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2014, 05:31:58 AM »

I am sitting in front of a gigantic monitor that's 2' away - why would I want a touch screen for that?  My arm would fall off.

You must be in pretty poor shape if arm would fall off. There are times that touching is a natural jester and Win 8x supports both.

The LAST thing I would want to do is to have my monitor all smudged up with fingerprints. It makes the monitor look like total crap. I'll stick with the mouse and keyboard.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »

The LAST thing I would want to do is to have my monitor all smudged up with fingerprints. It makes the monitor look like total crap. I'll stick with the mouse and keyboard.

I like using both. Times change and soon it will be touch and voice control. You go ahead and stay in past.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2014, 06:52:05 AM »

There is a correlation between Windows and Linux. When Ubuntu came out with it's default GUI called "Unity" everyone hated it (and still do). (Sound familiar?)

Ubuntu started losing popularity (if it were possible) to Linux Mint which ironically is built from Ubuntu. But Linux Mint is a much more refined Ubuntu without Unity and seems more or less to "work out of the box" much better than Ubuntu does.

While it is true you can install another GUI with Ubuntu and tweak it all out. But Linux Mint does that pretty well already.

Again, if Microsoft really cared for their customers they would have given the user a choice between Metro or lets say "Classic Windows Desktop" .  All that would be needed is for the user to log out and choose a different desktop to his or her liking.

So Microsoft would never do something like that? Well they did in Control Panel, you have a choice between the "Category View" or "Classic View" . Just a click to your liking. Why did they not give the user the same choice to click between Metro and "Classic Windows Desktop" ? This is in my opinion utter stupidity.

That's the thing people that complain about Metro don't understand . . You DO have a choice to use Metro apps or the standard Desktop on win 8 and 8.1. I am running Win 8.1 and I never run a Metro app. I see the standard win desktop full time. Yea the start menu looks different that Win 7 and XP but it's faster and works just fine.

As far as Ubuntu/Linux Mint goes. There are a lot more differences than the desktop interface. I agree that Unity sucks. For my Linux VM I run Mint (Mate desktop) on work laptop.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »

Yes stay firmly in past with XP as change marches on and hold on tight to that 30 year old well dated one button mouse and its limitations too

Macs have been able to use multi-button mice for almost as long as there have been Macs.

There are interfaces that are appropriate for specific devices. The keyboard/mouse works well for desktop/laptop/netbook style computers.  The keyboard is flat and in front of you so that you can type. The display is facing you, usually at around a 90 degree angle to the surface on which our are typing.  Typing on a tablet is awkward, unless you have an external keyboard, at which time you now have a desktop/laptop/netbook style setup.  With this setup touch/tap is awkward. Why would you put a tablet interface on a keyboard based device without being able to easily move back and forth between a keyboard/mouse interface and touch interface?

And yes, I understand voice recognition is progressing. I often watch as friends my age have trouble texting and emailing on a phone or tablet, while I tend to use voice recognition. It is easier for me but still much harder than composing email on a physical keyboard.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:32 AM »

It is gaining momentum. For MS to stay with a 7 style GUI in smart phone and tablet world would be a death sentence.

I guess that's because they haven't been able to figure out how to make the  appropriate interface available on the appropriate device.

Rick KK4GGL
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »

9 pages and going. Will it ever end?
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: