Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 54517 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »

Except Metro is not "moving forward". It is more like a long fall off a cliff.

It is gaining momentum. For MS to stay with a 7 style GUI in smart phone and tablet world would be a death sentence.

I guess that's because they haven't been able to figure out how to make the  appropriate interface available on the appropriate device.

No it because old interface logic is useless on touch screen devices. I will take more than one revision to get this right. It is a work in progress that many seem to forget.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:24 AM »

Except Metro is not "moving forward". It is more like a long fall off a cliff.

It is gaining momentum. For MS to stay with a 7 style GUI in smart phone and tablet world would be a death sentence.

I guess that's because they haven't been able to figure out how to make the  appropriate interface available on the appropriate device.

No it because old interface logic is useless on touch screen devices. I will take more than one revision to get this right. It is a work in progress that many seem to forget.

"Old interface logic"? I assume you mean keyboard/mouse input?

I agree that a keyboard/mouse interface  is awkward on touch based devices, just as the touch interface is awkward on keyboard/mouse based devices. There is no "one size fits all" device interface. That is what Microsoft can't seem to learn.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »

I agree that a keyboard/mouse interface  is awkward on touch based devices, just as the touch interface is awkward on keyboard/mouse based devices. There is no "one size fits all" device interface. That is what Microsoft can't seem to learn.

Actually it is something you need to learn. By next year ALL new laptops will have a touch screen too and you will have best of both worlds. Windows will then work and look same on tablets and laptops.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:05:12 AM by W8JX » Logged

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »

I agree that a keyboard/mouse interface  is awkward on touch based devices, just as the touch interface is awkward on keyboard/mouse based devices. There is no "one size fits all" device interface. That is what Microsoft can't seem to learn.

Actually it is something you need to learn. By next year ALL new laptops will have a touch screen too and you will have best of both worlds. Windows will then work and look same on tablets and laptops.  

... then they will suck. Of course, Microsoft has foisted sucky products on their consumers before :-)

This seems useless :-)

You may have the last word.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »

... then they will suck. Of course, Microsoft has foisted sucky products on their consumers before :-)

This seems useless :-)

You may have the last word.

Well Apple made billions off touch screen devices before others entered battle field so MS is not blazing trail but rather redefining it. Work in progress....   Good debate

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »

First, I don't know if there is anything a person can do with Windows 8 that they can't do with XP.  Second, Microsoft AI is a very scary concept, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who won't want any truck with it.

Touch screen, (tablets and laptops with touch screen) live tiles, email while sleeping and many neat apps like Flipboard news app that will run on Driod, IOS, Win8x and RT but nothing else. this and many more things. Within about a year every desktop and laptop PC made will also have a touch screen. Go ahead ham string yourself with XP.

Live tiles?  We had that in Windows 98 with the Live! Desktop.  Email while sleeping is a non-starter - what am I doing with my computer when it sleeps?  As soon as it wakes up it fetches my email.  As far as news goes, isn't it true that some of the built in Metro news and weather apps have banner ads?  Seems like just another way to shove ads in my face.

I am sitting in front of a gigantic monitor that's 2' away - why would I want a touch screen for that?  My arm would fall off.

I'll stick with XP in a VirtualBox, and use my Mac the way that it was intended - with a mouse!

"Active desktop: It's like being directly connected to Bill Gates' toilet" - DP 1997
That's how I felt about Active desktop in 1997.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Today is June 18, 2014
Twelve months will go fast.
Tic-toc tic-toc.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »

Today is June 18, 2014
Twelve months will go fast.
Tic-toc tic-toc.

Yep mark the date

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

I'll wager you $100 that by next year, there will still be new laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  I will wager you another $100 that in 5 years, there are still laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  Meet me at longbets.org and let's wager.  They proctor the bet and all winnings go to a charity of the winner's choice.  Money is deposited up front.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:26:01 PM by KE7TMA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

I'll wager you $100 that by next year, there will still be new laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  I will wager you another $100 that in 5 years, there are still laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  Meet me at longbets.org and let's wager.  They proctor the bet and all winnings go to a charity of the winner's choice.  Money is deposited up front.

Loaded bet because Apple and such will likely be in dark ages but if its Windows it will be a touch screen.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

Loaded bet because Apple and such will likely be in dark ages but if its Windows it will be a touch screen.

You're the one who claimed that ALL (and you even used caps) laptops would have touch screen by next year.  Now you're backpedaling.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »

I'll wager you $100 that by next year, there will still be new laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  I will wager you another $100 that in 5 years, there are still laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  

I agree with you and I will be shopping for a new laptop with Windows 9 with the traditional classic (normal) GUI and no touch screen. I'm not going to spend good money on a laptop (or a desktop & monitor for that matter) and have fingerprints and smudges all over the screen, it is not happening. It looks like crap in my opinion.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2014, 07:02:53 AM »

I bought a brand new laptop from ASUS just two months ago. No touch screen. I didn't want to pay the added expense.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2014, 07:11:48 AM »

I still don't think I would like a touch screen on a laptop. My sister has one with a touch screen. I don't find it any easier than a mouse and I don't like the finger prints . . .

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »

I'll wager you $100 that by next year, there will still be new laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  I will wager you another $100 that in 5 years, there are still laptops on the market that do not have touch screens.  

I agree with you and I will be shopping for a new laptop with Windows 9 with the traditional classic (normal) GUI and no touch screen. I'm not going to spend good money on a laptop (or a desktop & monitor for that matter) and have fingerprints and smudges all over the screen, it is not happening. It looks like crap in my opinion.

Good luck with that. Wishing for a backpedal will not make it so. Metro and is future refinements are here to stay. I love being able to go from tablet to laptop with same OS. I do not miss old GUI at all.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: