Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 54025 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »

Metro and is future refinements are here to stay. I love being able to go from tablet to laptop with same OS. I do not miss old GUI at all.

Yes it would be nice to get a new computer with Windows 9 with the normal classic GUI next year. But If Windows 7 is the most up to date Microsoft OS that I ever will use, I am fine with that.

Bottom line is, I really don't care what other Operating Systems people use.

What I do care about is that people (coming here to the 'Computers and Software' section on eham) aren't being misled into thinking that are stuck with Microsoft Windows 8 and it's unpopular Metro GUI if they just happen to need a new computer with Windows.

To reiterate, consumers can still obtain Windows 7 laptops and computers from Dell, and elsewhere  on the web, on Amazon, on ebay and from real computer stores.

And as for "living in the past and not moving forward", well ....support ends for Windows 7 ends in January 14 2020....That is Five and a Half Years From Now.

Again, use whatever you want.  But remember that Windows 8 with Metro is not the only game in town if you need a new Windows computer.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »

The thing is . . You have a classic windows desktop with Win 8 & 8.1 . . . You re not forced into Metro apps . . .

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »

Hello.

Windows is what made Micro$oft what it is.
But, can they keep the lead?
XP became wildly popular.
It gave the average user exactly what they want.
Now, the problem is giving the consumer what they want.
What if consumers were already satisfied?
Perhaps that is the problem?
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »

Hello.

If MS would to sit on XP thinking that's what people want, then they would go out of business quick. The world is moving forward, with or without them. OSX, Linux would take over if MS didn't move forward.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »

Hello.

If MS would to sit on XP thinking that's what people want, then they would go out of business quick. The world is moving forward, with or without them. OSX, Linux would take over if MS didn't move forward.

The birth of smart phone and tablet craze changed the rules. If they diid not change Windoze, it will soon no longer be a viable platform except for those still using 10 year old computers and not upgrading with technology. It took time for for old style windows to mature, it will take time for Metro too. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »

Hello.

I am not saying do not change.
What I am saying is this.
Find something the consumer Really wants.
Remember picture phone?
The Bell System pushed it and pushed it.
Now, does your computer have a webcam?
When was the last time you did video chat?
Right, nobody wants it!
I am not saying it is wrong, but most really new cellphones have 2 cameras, one nice one in back and a webcam grade in front.
They can do video chat.
Big wow.
Now, Micro$oft introduced Vista, and the first thing every one noticed was missing?
Space Cadet!
Micro$oft admitted they did a major rewrite of code, and some legacy things did not run.
Hell, 90% of micro$oft legacy software did not run!
Vista was "One of the best things Microsoft did for Apple!".
Vista could not even log onto Mico$oft for activation for the first few days!
Again, I am not saying change is bad.
What I am saying is change for the better.
When it was clear that legacy software was going to be a problem, they needed to address it.
My version of Windows 7 has a virtual XP machine.
I promptly copied the XP key and put a real copy of XP on the machine, dual boot.
But, what I am saying is, give the consumer what he wants!
If sex sells, have the machine vibrate, or send out emulated brain waves of the act.
Yes, that is extreme.
But, you get the idea.
People do not need 160 MPH cars, but they buy them.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »

Hello.
I am not saying do not change.
What I am saying is this.
Find something the consumer Really wants.
Remember picture phone?
The Bell System pushed it and pushed it.
Now, does your computer have a webcam?
When was the last time you did video chat?
Right, nobody wants it!
I am not saying it is wrong, but most really new cellphones have 2 cameras, one nice one in back and a webcam grade in front.
They can do video chat.
Big wow.
Now, Micro$oft introduced Vista, and the first thing every one noticed was missing?
Space Cadet!
Micro$oft admitted they did a major rewrite of code, and some legacy things did not run.
Hell, 90% of micro$oft legacy software did not run!
Vista was "One of the best things Microsoft did for Apple!".
Vista could not even log onto Mico$oft for activation for the first few days!
Again, I am not saying change is bad.
What I am saying is change for the better.
When it was clear that legacy software was going to be a problem, they needed to address it.
My version of Windows 7 has a virtual XP machine.
I promptly copied the XP key and put a real copy of XP on the machine, dual boot.
But, what I am saying is, give the consumer what he wants!
If sex sells, have the machine vibrate, or send out emulated brain waves of the act.
Yes, that is extreme.
But, you get the idea.
People do not need 160 MPH cars, but they buy them.

Actually I agree with you . . But the problems is this. If MS asked the consumer what they want, asked business what they want, there would not be two answers. One for business and one for consumers. There would be 1000's of answers. I know a couple in their 80's that uses video chat via Skype regularly. Their kids and grandkids are all over the world. They don't have cell phones, and only have basic home phone service. Skype make it "free" and easy to communicate with their family. I don't know many other people that do though but some love it. Where I work, we're moving to VOIP . . . Now I know the desk phones are already VOIP but I need to clarify. We are using soft phones on our laptops, with USB headsets. I can call all over the world. With MS Lync, we can video conference also but it's not widely used yet.

An operating system has to move on. Supporting 16 bit code these days just makes the operating system bigger and gives more opportunities for problems as an example. At some point they have to draw the line. Supporting every piece of possible software that was ever made, every piece of hardware ever made would would make the operating system bigger and slower than it already is.  Remember when DOS used to fit on a 360K floppy with room to spare? We got work done then, remember WordStar? I went through my graduate school with WordStar and a dot matrix printer. But moving forward is the right thing to do.

If people want to run XP, then fine. No problems there. But complaining about MS no longer supporting XP, get over it. Run an old OS on an old machine and live with the choices. I have no problem with people that want to use old things. A company that writes software for profit, has to be able to sell something. Keeping old stuff to sell does not lead to profit. It's simple.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »

This is probably one of the most pointless debates on the internet, I see it on so many forums and it keeps going and going.

People can debate it all they want but facts are facts and the fact is that Win8 has been a complete disaster for Microsoft, they have admitted it by their own actions and the sales of the OS have left no doubt that it's not what the public wants.

The only reason that people keep on debating Win8 is because it is NOT a flawed OS in design and structure like Vista, in fact it works very well and by all standards is a step up from Win7.  With that said even though it's a great OS from an engineering standpoint it was the ill conceived GUI design by management that made it a disaster and that's why most of the people who were involved in that decision making process got fired.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:56:30 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

Oh BTW while Mr. Ballmer was busy messing up Win8 he was doing the same thing to the XBox One.   If it was not for Rants of one Guy Microsoft would have had another complete disaster on their hands, luckily a Guy Named Angry Joe rallied the community into action with his video's and while it was too late to save the XBox one Launch and make it successful it did force Microsoft's hands and they did an about face on just about everything Ballmer had put in place which then resulted in sales finally going up.

You can watch the video here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

Warning he does use strong language at points, they don't call him Angry Joe for nothing Smiley

And no I am not a gamer, those days ended more than a decade ago Smiley

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:57:24 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »

The only reason that people keep on debating Win8 is because it is NOT a flawed OS in design and structure like Vista, in fact it works very well and by all standards is a step up from Win7.  With that said even though it's a great OS from an engineering standpoint it was the ill conceived GUI design by management that made it a disaster and that's why most of the people who were involved in that decision making process got fired.

100% Agree

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2014, 03:08:36 AM »

Hello.

Bill Gates stepped in, and called Win 8 "Not quite what I expected".
When probed further, he said that the original desktop, as envisioned by Xerox 50 years ago, was about as good as it gets.
Steve Ballmer quit after that.
Remember "Aero"? first introduced with Vista?
Well, rename it and put it in 8, and you have it.
Coke introduced "New Coke", and had paid staffers who were told that they HAD to slant the surveys towards the New Coke in  taste tests.
The same thing happened at microsoft.
Ever go into a Walmart? see the 30+ register lanes, same thing, a skewed survey.
At Six Flags, people were complaining about long lines, so a survey was done.
It asked if the people wanted shorter lines or longer lines that moved faster.
There was a write in section.
80% said they wanted a shorter period in line, period!
Although this was not an answer in the check boxes, it was a valid answer.
The solution was the "Flash Pass" and VIP Tours.
Now, the surveys only ask, "What can we do to make your visit better".
That is it, you can write in anything!
Some of the craziest ideas, are now reality, at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
A Dog kennel? Sure why not.
A tube, like the Jetsons, where a door rotates closed? in the water park, and it drops you into the pool below.
Or, how about a holodeck, like StarTrek, under development and being tested.
The big problem at this time is that people will try and sit into chairs, and fall on their ass!
The "Sonic Rat" is the sound of a "rat", that  wanders through the park, with the help of hundreds of speakers and dozens of computers.
Some ideas made it, some did not, and some are under development and review.
But, one thing is clear, you never know,,,,,,,unless you try!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2014, 04:29:36 AM »

Funny this "End of Support" for XP. Microsoft has issued the update "Malicious Software Removal Tool June 2014"

Not only that, but if you change a single registry entry you can fool MS into giving your Windows XP upgrades until at least 2019, by telling Software Update that you are running Windows XP Point of Sale version.  MS really has no way to detect that you aren't, which is pretty funny.  So continue to run XP for at least 5 years and feel secure knowing that you will have the latest updates regardless of MS's FUD to the contrary.

Oh gee let's find another reason to not move forward and instead move backwards in computer world and still be using XP when there is Win 11 or 12 and maybe a bit of AI in it too. 

AND, "AI" is a good thing in what way?
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »

Products with AI will render non AI procucts "obsolete" and create new consumer demand.
New consumer demand will produce more sales.

At the same time the required user skill level will decrease making some categories of workers "cheaper". Or even obsolete. (ie if the car can drive itself to a destination why have a human cab driver consuming oxygen and smelling up the place . Taxis would fit five passengers instead of four.)
Of course the money "saved" paying the driver will be spent towards the new taxis and the the software and hardware to operate them, and of course software upgrades down the road. So cab ride prices will go up by a little bit. But someone is going to rake in some bucks.
Not you.
How can you not see that products with AI are good for everyone?
Whata mata wit you?

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2014, 02:32:51 PM »

AI, Artificial Insemination?? Wink
Self driving cars?? What happens when you are on the side of a hill (Buxton > Maccesfield route for example if you are a Brit) and the program locks up?
I don't fancy a 1000ft fall when the car goes straight instead of making the turn. Shocked
Personally I want the machine to do what I want, not what it (or the programmer) wants.

KF6QEX, I presume you are "Having a giraffe"
Otherwise these AI products will render us obsolete (Shades of Skynet)

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »

Products with AI will render non AI procucts "obsolete" and create new consumer demand.
New consumer demand will produce more sales.

At the same time the required user skill level will decrease making some categories of workers "cheaper". Or even obsolete. (ie if the car can drive itself to a destination why have a human cab driver consuming oxygen and smelling up the place . Taxis would fit five passengers instead of four.)
Of course the money "saved" paying the driver will be spent towards the new taxis and the the software and hardware to operate them, and of course software upgrades down the road. So cab ride prices will go up by a little bit. But someone is going to rake in some bucks.
Not you.
How can you not see that products with AI are good for everyone?
Whata mata wit you?

The biggest boost for AI is for end user. Things like Siri just use canned responses and prediction are based on remote help. With AI a computer or smart phone will be able to be far more responsive to voice commands and user interaction. Grow CPU power will make the use of long complex algorithms to run it real time and provide some limited learning an AI on device in use.  

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: