Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 45692 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2014, 03:48:48 AM »

Anybody remember Y2K?  Wink

Ah. Y2K....Orson Wells newest version of "The Day The World Almost Stood Still" Rated G.  Grin
I wonder just how much money was actually spent in that final hour.

Actually it was the billions spent getting ready for it that saved the day. If we did not live in a computer driven world there would have been no issue.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:21 AM »

Ah. Y2K....Orson Wells newest version of "The Day The World Almost Stood Still" Rated G.  Grin
I wonder just how much money was actually spent in that final hour.

Probably a lot, but the fiasco that was most remembered were the almost last minute warnings that we were going to have to tweak this and adjust that so all of our electronics wouldn't crash on us--and the realization after the fact that we really didn't have to do anything--even if the date reverted to 1900 on the devices--except reset them.  The doom and gloomers were fretting about the sky falling when what that change amounted to was a few clouds blowing by simply because the manufacturers had already, except in a few minor cases, taken care of the change from 1999 to 2000.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »

Has anyone seen the September 2014 QST? I see two interesting and pertinent things there.

1. Article XP to Linux: The "Why" for Hams on p. 33.
 "With Microsoft no longer supporting XP, is it time to consider Linux?".
 Nice article by WA6SAZ about dual-booting Linux/XP.

2. Classified ad: "Microsoft Abandons XP - XpXtend provides critical security updates for Windows XP systems. Stop exploits before malware eats your your machine! Visit http://xpextend.com" on p. 163.
 Sounds interesting, but I have not visited the site and I know nothing about it, good or bad.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2014, 03:56:14 AM »

Has anyone seen the September 2014 QST? I see two interesting and pertinent things there.

1. Article XP to Linux: The "Why" for Hams on p. 33.
 "With Microsoft no longer supporting XP, is it time to consider Linux?".
 Nice article by WA6SAZ about dual-booting Linux/XP.

2. Classified ad: "Microsoft Abandons XP - XpXtend provides critical security updates for Windows XP systems. Stop exploits before malware eats your your machine! Visit http://xpextend.com" on p. 163.
 Sounds interesting, but I have not visited the site and I know nothing about it, good or bad.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't seen the September 2014 QST yet.

Check out Issue # 189 of the 'Linux Journal' (January 2010). They had a feature story called "Amateur Radio and Linux"  http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/rolling-your-own-digital-amateur-radio

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:59:59 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2014, 05:47:00 AM »

Just thought about it Huh

As of today, HAVE NOT received Sept. 2014 QST, either.

Ken KC8Y
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »

Given that XP is not open source and MS is not likely to let someone modify code I would not trust this.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »

Given that XP is not open source and MS is not likely to let someone modify code I would not trust this.

You may very well be correct about the trust, etc. I just wondered if anyone knew anything about that, or used their services.

However, there was a place that provided security updates for Windows 98 several years ago, and I'm told they were very good updates. Maybe this web site will turn out to be the same.

In any case, I only have one XP machine left (two counting Virtualbox inside Linux on occasion), and I take other security precautions with it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:23:53 AM by W0BTU » Logged

KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »

My mistake, checked the mail MORE THOUGHLY.   QST did come, today.

Ken KC8Y
Pages: Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: