Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 54093 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:47 AM »

Anybody see this?  Grin

From http://www.businessinsider.com/hack-tricks-xp-into-security-updates-2014-5

Wayne Williams at Betanews showed people how to write a few lines of code and make Windows XP install updates anyway. This trick makes Windows Update think that the device is running a version of Windows XP that is still supported by Microsoft and will be for another five years. That's a version known as Windows Embedded POSReady.

All you have to do is following Williams' instructions below:

Create a text document, and call it XP.reg. You’ll need to make sure .reg is the proper extension -- so not "XP.reg.txt". If it’s not showing up as a registry file, open any folder, go to Tools > Folder Options, select View and uncheck 'Show hidden files and folders'. That should fix the problem.

Right-click the file, and select Edit. Paste in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Save it, and then double-click the file. That will make that change to the registry. That’s all you need to do. Windows will now automatically fetch updates designed for POSReady 2009, ensuring XP remains protected for the foreseeable future.

If you try this, whenever Microsoft fixes a security problem in XP embedded, your PC will get that update.

Of course, Microsoft is now aware of this hack so we'll see how long it lasts. The company isn't happy. It wants you to upgrade your Windows machine or buy a new one.

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 05:55:52 AM »

Anybody see this?  Grin

From http://www.businessinsider.com/hack-tricks-xp-into-security-updates-2014-5

Wayne Williams at Betanews showed people how to write a few lines of code and make Windows XP install updates anyway. This trick makes Windows Update think that the device is running a version of Windows XP that is still supported by Microsoft and will be for another five years. That's a version known as Windows Embedded POSReady.

All you have to do is following Williams' instructions below:

Create a text document, and call it XP.reg. You’ll need to make sure .reg is the proper extension -- so not "XP.reg.txt". If it’s not showing up as a registry file, open any folder, go to Tools > Folder Options, select View and uncheck 'Show hidden files and folders'. That should fix the problem.

Right-click the file, and select Edit. Paste in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Save it, and then double-click the file. That will make that change to the registry. That’s all you need to do. Windows will now automatically fetch updates designed for POSReady 2009, ensuring XP remains protected for the foreseeable future.

If you try this, whenever Microsoft fixes a security problem in XP embedded, your PC will get that update.

Of course, Microsoft is now aware of this hack so we'll see how long it lasts. The company isn't happy. It wants you to upgrade your Windows machine or buy a new one.

Remember, the updates you get, are not designed for XP, they are designed for XP POS.  They are designed for a different OS, that is very close to XP, bit NOT XP.  They will probably work for a while, until MS drops a poison pill into them.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:49 AM »

It won't be impossible, but it will be hard for Microsoft to "poison" those updates without taking a chance of affecting XP POS too.  In any event, those XP POS machines and systems are being replaced--and quite a lot of them do not use Microsoft OSes anymore!  

Added:  Microsoft may totally discontinue support before they try to poison a product which support has ended on and end up poisoning the product which is still under support.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:59:17 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:58 AM »

Remember, the updates you get, are not designed for XP, they are designed for XP POS.  They are designed for a different OS, that is very close to XP, bit NOT XP.  They will probably work for a while, until MS drops a poison pill into them.

Yup, this is temporary. And I'm not going to try it myself, because I don't want to take a chance with the two XP machines I have here.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »

It won't be impossible...

I'm not so sure about that. To stop XP Pro from getting the upgrades, all they have to do is an upgrade to XP POS that changes that registry key in XP POS; and after that XP Pro won't get the upgrades.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:02:50 AM by W0BTU » Logged

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »

It won't be impossible, but it will be hard for Microsoft to "poison" those updates without taking a chance of affecting XP POS too.  In any event, those XP POS machines and systems are being replaced--and quite a lot of them do not use Microsoft OSes anymore!  

Added:  Microsoft may totally discontinue support before they try to poison a product which support has ended on and end up poisoning the product which is still under support.

Here is some pseudo code to kill XP machine, while leaving XP POS alone"

If machine = XP then destroy
end
destroy
format disk, or remove OS, or remove ability to update, or destroy registery, etc.

Would trivial for Microsoft to do anything it wants to do...

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »

Yup, this is temporary. And I'm not going to try it myself, because I don't want to take a chance with the two XP machines I have here.
Smart man!  Same here.  I just use Clonezilla once I have the right install, and I am done...  If the machine gets toasted, I reclone it.

Thanks,
Dave
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »

Not that it will bother me ( I do not accept the FUD about Microsoft's end of support for XP) However here is a rather extensive thread about using POS

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/

What ever way you jump with this, read it thoroughly before trying anything.
Also remember. Back up the registry before starting

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »

Here is some pseudo code to kill XP machine, while leaving XP POS alone"

If machine = XP then destroy
end
destroy
format disk, or remove OS, or remove ability to update, or destroy registery, etc.

Would trivial for Microsoft to do anything it wants to do...

And if that code somehow got into a XP POS system and 'destroyed' it?  Or many of them and destroyed them all?  Don't say that it won't happen because stranger things have happened.  I doubt if Microsoft would take the chance and "destroy" a system that could put them on the hook for a lot more $$$ than they're collecting from those companies that are paying for that support.

Added:  BTW, don't say that they know what they're doing either--or they wouldn't have to issue bug fixes and updates in the first place!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:01:09 PM by K1CJS » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »

I have several computers running legal copies of XP software.  I have software that won't run on the latest versions of Windows. A few of the desktops in the shop are off-lease Dell Optiplex computers that more hardware than I'll ever need.

Regarding XP:  here's a simple question regarding security... I assume any of the flaws are accessed by viruses installed while visiting websites or opening mail with files attached. 

Would removing administrator privileges from the computer users eliminate the risk when surfing the web or using email?

Most hams don't need blazing fast machines or the latest hardware gadgets.

Pete
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »

I have several computers running legal copies of XP software.  I have software that won't run on the latest versions of Windows. A few of the desktops in the shop are off-lease Dell Optiplex computers that more hardware than I'll ever need.

Regarding XP:  here's a simple question regarding security... I assume any of the flaws are accessed by viruses installed while visiting websites or opening mail with files attached. 

Would removing administrator privileges from the computer users eliminate the risk when surfing the web or using email?

Most hams don't need blazing fast machines or the latest hardware gadgets.

Pete
Run Linux, and dual boot, that way you can get email, do your web thing, then boot to windows when yo need it.  If you need windows all the time, then you will need to stop checking mail and web sites with a machine that must be secure.

Thanks,
Dave
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »

Run Linux, and dual boot, that way you can get email, do your web thing, then boot to windows when yo need it.  If you need windows all the time, then you will need to stop checking mail and web sites with a machine that must be secure.

Or run Linux, and install XP in a virtual machine (VirtualBox or VMWare).  That's what I do at work.  No issues.

And if you are using an Exchange server, there is a plugin for Thunderbird that works well.  The bad news is that after 60 days, it costs $10 a year to keep using it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »

There is a product called "Deep Freeze". Supposedly it the keeps computers from getting hosed by infected sites and downloads.

http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/

I have never used it, but I see it referred to from time to time. Supposedly they use this in schools to keep the machine from being infected by students who click on questionable sites.

I guess it is like a sandbox virtual program. All one has to do is just restart the computer and the infection/malware is gone according to what I read. I have no idea how much it costs or what other products could do the same for less or for free.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »

There is a product called "Deep Freeze". Supposedly it the keeps computers from getting hosed by infected sites and downloads.

http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/

I have never used it, but I see it referred to from time to time. Supposedly they use this in schools to keep the machine from being infected by students who click on questionable sites.

I guess it is like a sandbox virtual program. All one has to do is just restart the computer and the infection/malware is gone according to what I read. I have no idea how much it costs or what other products could do the same for less or for free.

And so inexpensive too...

Thanks,
Dave
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2014, 04:25:49 AM »

Here is why I don't pay attention to "security updates":

Quoted from:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2932079
This update resolves a vulnerability in the Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow elevation of privilege if an unauthenticated attacker sends specially crafted data to an affected workstation or server that has the .NET Framework Remoting feature enabled.

If this type of "attack" can happen on a machine connected to the internet behind a NAT router via a web browser page or email....they deserve to get into my machine and wreck havoc.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: