Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 55943 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2014, 06:04:16 AM »

Here is why I don't pay attention to "security updates":

Quoted from:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2932079
This update resolves a vulnerability in the Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow elevation of privilege if an unauthenticated attacker sends specially crafted data to an affected workstation or server that has the .NET Framework Remoting feature enabled.

If this type of "attack" can happen on a machine connected to the internet behind a NAT router via a web browser page or email....they deserve to get into my machine and wreck havoc.

Here ya go:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2011/12/08/what-you-should-know-about-drive-by-download-attacks-part-1.aspx

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2014, 06:48:54 AM »

If MS was smart, they'd offer paid subscriptions for critical updates. They are supporting XP in European countries.  So, the updates are going to be available.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/07/uk-government-microsoft-windows-xp-public-sector

Pete
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2014, 06:53:38 AM »

If MS was smart, they'd offer paid subscriptions for critical updates. They are supporting XP in European countries.  So, the updates are going to be available.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/07/uk-government-microsoft-windows-xp-public-sector

Pete

If Microsoft were really smart they would never have never released Windows in the first place.

Thanks,
Dave
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »

If MS was smart, they'd offer paid subscriptions for critical updates. They are supporting XP in European countries.  So, the updates are going to be available.

Pete

If Microsoft were really smart they would never have never released Windows in the first place.

Oh that's smart, then we might live is a closed source Apple Mac world. MS is not perfect but at least the hardware is open source leading to innovation. This closed shop never really change OS will one day strangle Iphone and Ipad as they are no longer top of tablet market and phones will follow this path. Most people like change and different things, not same old same old in a new package. Apple philosophy cannot compete long term in a open market as too many are competing and innovating.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:03:06 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »

If MS was smart, they'd offer paid subscriptions for critical updates. They are supporting XP in European countries.  So, the updates are going to be available.

Pete

Oh that's smart, then we might live is a closed source Apple Mac world. MS is not perfect but at least the hardware is open source leading to innovation. This closed shop never really change OS will one day strangle Iphone and Ipad as they are no longer top of tablet market and phones will follow this path. Most people like change and different things, not same old same old in a new package. Apple philosophy cannot compete long term in a open market as too many are competing and innovating.

Hi,
Wake up and smell the poo, you already live in a closed source world.  Windows is closed source, Microsoft wants the Hardware to be closed source as well, (i.e. hardware not allowed to boot anything but Windows), so as a matter of fact, yes it would be a good thing if M$ had not released Windows. 

Perhaps you might consider increasing your available OS's from just M$, and Apple to something which is truly open source.  Look into Linux, a real Open source product, (you can get the source code to Linux, try that with Windows), and free.  Also MUCH more safe than either Windows, or Apple OS's.

Thanks,
Dave
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

Here is why I don't pay attention to "security updates":

Quoted from:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2932079
This update resolves a vulnerability in the Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow elevation of privilege if an unauthenticated attacker sends specially crafted data to an affected workstation or server that has the .NET Framework Remoting feature enabled.

If this type of "attack" can happen on a machine connected to the internet behind a NAT router via a web browser page or email....they deserve to get into my machine and wreck havoc.

Here ya go:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2011/12/08/what-you-should-know-about-drive-by-download-attacks-part-1.aspx

In the graph for top 10 browser-based exploits, by percentage of all exploits each month, in the second half of 2009
I see adobe reader, ( I stopped using it after version 6.x hen they started bloating it)
I see Microsoft Internet explorer,
Microsoft DSO , microsoft VM, realplayer, aol superbuddy and Microsoft MSVidCtrl

What I don't see is windows XP vs any version of windows ......

sometimes the important data is not all about what is there but what is missing...

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »

Wake up and smell the poo, you already live in a closed source world.  Windows is closed source, Microsoft wants the Hardware to be closed source as well, (i.e. hardware not allowed to boot anything but Windows), so as a matter of fact, yes it would be a good thing if M$ had not released Windows.

MS code is not in public domain and MS is not only one that want certified hardware to only boot windows. Google does not like dual boot tablets either.  Besides market is free to innovate on hardware on windows on on driod too. Apple is closed shop and still clinging to one button mouse of 80's.

Perhaps you might consider increasing your available OS's from just M$, and Apple to something which is truly open source.  Look into Linux, a real Open source product, (you can get the source code to Linux, try that with Windows), and free.  Also MUCH more safe than either Windows, or Apple OS's.

Linux lacks a universal GUI and app support. Like it or not compared to MS software/app choices are very limited. When you leave windows for linux you will find out over time that you are cutting your hamstrings so to speak and limiting your options. Grass is not greener once you cross the fence.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »

MS code is not in public domain...
Why are you repeating what I just said?  You prove my initial point, thank you!.  In your initial post you implied that the M$ OS was a better choice over the Mac OS, because the Mac OS was closed source.  Thus your implication is that the M$ OS is Open Source, is incorrect.  Again, thank you for agreeing with my position on this.

...and MS is not only one that want certified hardware to only boot windows. Google does not like dual boot tablets either. 
Again you are agreeing with my initial post, and again I say, M$ is pushing for closed hardware, and again, thank you for agreeing.  The fact that others are also pushing for closed hardware is not germane to this discussion at this time, that is why I did include them in this discussion.  I am unsure why you did.

Besides market is free to innovate on hardware on windows on on driod too. Apple is closed shop and still clinging to one button mouse of 80's.
If you are saying that the market is free to innovate, then yes, it is now, and always has been, that is why both Mac and Apple still exist, the market is in charge, although I see no connection to our current discussion.

Linux lacks a universal GUI and app support.
There is no such thing as a "universal GUI".  If you are saying that the various flavors of Linux have different GUI's, then yes, just as the various flavors of Windows have different GUI's.  Look at Windows 8, then look at Windows XP, they are not even close.  It is insane to say that the user having the ability to change their GUI, (if they want to), is not a good thing.  Unfortunately for Windows users, they only get one choice, what ever M$ assigns them that day.  With Linux, the user can select his OS GUI between boots, should they wish too.  Ie. Today I like XFCE, tomorrow I like KDE, etc. 

The only company that has even come close to keeping the user GUI close to original GUI is Apple.

Like it or not compared to MS software/app choices are very limited. When you leave windows for linux you will find out over time that you are cutting your hamstrings so to speak and limiting your options.
Again, you are generalizing...  Lets do a bit of comparison, looking at what comes with the OS for free...

Bundled Software
Linux comes with the following:
1.  Decent Word Processor
2.  Decent presentation software
3.  Decent Spreadsheet

Windows comes with:
1.  None of the above.
2.  You can buy the above software for Windows for many hundreds of dollars.
3.  You can upgrade to the latest version of the above software for many hundreds of dollars.
4.  BTW If you just have to spend money for these, M$ will be releasing a version of Office for Linux this year.  Smiley

Drivers:
99% of the drivers needed for Linux are built in.  Most drivers for windows must be downloaded.

3rd Party Software Installation:
Linux:
The overall user experience is much better under Linux than any version of windows.

Security:
I don't even need to go there, suffice to say, Windows looks like Swiss Cheese, and Linux does not.  The basic model is wrong for Windows.  Linux will always beat Windows for security, Linux is OPEN SOURCE, while windows is CLOSED SOURCE, thus EVERYONE can look at Linux source code, while no one can look at Windows source code...  Google, "Microsoft runs Linux", Microsoft itself has a history of running Linux for it's web servers because they would like to keep them running... 

Speed:
Install the both OS's on the same hardware, you will then understand...

Cost:
Linux is free...  Windows is not...

Grass is not greener once you cross the fence.

Suffice to say, that for the normal user, Linux has come of age...  Given the above it sure looks greener to me...  Hence why I run Linux. 

Thanks,
Dave
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »

Bundled Software
1.  Decent Word Processor
2.  Decent presentation software
3.  Decent Spreadsheet

Windows comes with:
1.  None of the above.

So what? You can get Open Office for free.
2.  You can buy the above software for Windows for many hundreds of dollars.

BS. Down load Open Office for free.

3.  You can upgrade to the latest version of the above software for many hundreds of dollars.

More BS.

4.  BTW If you just have to spend money for these, M$ will be releasing a version of Office for Linux this year.  Smiley

You can get Open Office for free, plus other flavors too. All that ranting you just did is BS.

Drivers:
99% of the drivers needed for Linux are built in.  Most drivers for windows must be downloaded.

So? It's not a big deal.

Linux:
The overall user experience is much better under Linux than any version of windows.

Cough cough ... You must be joking!
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »

Apple is closed shop and still clinging to one button mouse of 80's.

It definitely looks like something (someone) is still clinging to the 80's, but it isn't Apple with the one-button mouse.  Looks like you need to get out and about a bit more before you speak. 

Apple has supported two-buttons (and 3, and 4, and 8 and ...) for some time now.  Now true, they were late to the game with that, but that's because of the way the OS worked.  Windows required two buttons, Apple didn't, so why build two-button mice when one does everything you need.  Of course, now Apple is way ahead in the multi-touch, all-function trackpad solutions being copied by everyone and their brother for everything from Windows to Android. 

I love having my multi-touch trackpad available via Bluetooth with my Mac and being able to do about 15 distinct functions with it; or I can skip the 8 button gaming mouse AND the Apple Magic Trackpad and use my Leap motion controller to control the Mac with hand gestures a la Minority Report.

Of course, all of that functionality is available in Windows as well, but it has never seemed as elegantly executed as it is on a Mac.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2014, 08:51:18 PM »

Open Office was originally written for Linux, it was ported to Windose late in its development. Open Office is not in active development and hasn't been for years, Libre office is a spin off of OO an is in active development.

The Linux desktop experience is the best out there because its not locked to what the publisher wants. Load KDE, MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE, Unity, Gnome, LXDE, Enlightenment, Openbox, ETC and choose which one you like the best that day. Try that with Windose... oh wait.. sorry you can't.

Micro$oft is at a cross roads in its existence, the business community is NOT adopting Windose 8, it has real challenges to their dominance in the desktop market from Linux and Apple.

Linux is a viable desktop alternative, case in point, I removed XP off my Father in laws pc and loaded Linux (lubuntu). He was ready to get rid of the computer because it was running so slow. He is very happy now, the computer is fast and does everything he needs. BTW he is 84.

Linux is here to stay and it will continue to get better and better. I will never use a Micro$oft product again for my personal work and I will miss out on nothing. Long live the GNU and opensource!

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2014, 11:00:04 PM »

Bundled Software
1.  Decent Word Processor
2.  Decent presentation software
3.  Decent Spreadsheet

Windows comes with:
1.  None of the above.

So what? You can get Open Office for free.
2.  You can buy the above software for Windows for many hundreds of dollars.

BS. Down load Open Office for free.

3.  You can upgrade to the latest version of the above software for many hundreds of dollars.

More BS.

4.  BTW If you just have to spend money for these, M$ will be releasing a version of Office for Linux this year.  Smiley

You can get Open Office for free, plus other flavors too. All that ranting you just did is BS.
Is there something about the word "Bundled" that you don't understand?  My statement says that Linux bundles this software, and that Windows does not.  You appear to have gone off on a tangent here, and are responding to something no one said...

Let me help you understand my position-- I was, and am now, speaking of M$ Office, which, as I said, costs hundred of dollars to obtain, and more hundreds of dollars to upgrade, and is not bundled with M$ Windows.

As an aside, why would you suggest that any Linux, or Windows user uninstall the current version of LibreOffice, (which is BUNDLED with Linux BTW, and was derived from Open Office, which is now a closed project and has been for the past 3 years.), and replace it with the older closed Open Office project?  

By suggesting a three year old closed product, (Open Office, closed in 2011),  as something the user should download today, in order to replace a current supported project, (LibreOffice, still a running and supported project), it would appear to me that you have shown everyone here that you are at least three years behind the curve.  

So to recap your position: you are suggesting a person running Linux, uninstall the currently supported LibreOffice presentations Suite, which comes bundled with all versions of Linux, and replace it with a three year old suite, which is not even an open project, and was closed in 2011.  While the Windows person should not purchase M$ Office, and not install the current LibreOffice, but instead choose to install a three year old non open project as a presentation manager suit.  

Unlike you, I will not say what you are posting is BS, I will answer with facts, and with actual data, I will however say I believe you are wrong, and that you are at least three years behind the curve.

Drivers:
99% of the drivers needed for Linux are built in.  Most drivers for windows must be downloaded.

So? It's not a big deal.
Until you get an un-vetted 3rd party driver, and your Windows system implodes, destroying all of your data, and forcing a total re-install from scratch...  Oh wait, Windows users are used to the install from scratch thing, M$ failed to provide an upgrade path from XP to 7, so you wiped your data and started fresh, then 7 to 8, where you did the same thing...  So this should be nothing new to Windows users.

Linux:
Cough cough ... You must be joking!
It is probably good that you are not running Linux...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:07:25 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »

Linux is a viable desktop alternative, case in point, I removed XP off my Father in laws pc and loaded Linux (lubuntu). He was ready to get rid of the computer because it was running so slow. He is very happy now, the computer is fast and does everything he needs. BTW he is 84.

Linux is here to stay and it will continue to get better and better. I will never use a Micro$oft product again for my personal work and I will miss out on nothing. Long live the GNU and opensource!

I must agree wholeheartedly with you.  I did exactly the same for my wife, she has ZERO computer experience, and was carping about Windows in general...  I too installed Ubuntu, (I myself run Debian), and she now has zero issues with her laptop, in fact it is quite a bit faster...  So as you said, Linux is here to stay, and the user experience is by far better than Windows.

Thanks,
Dave
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »

Just to add some humor here, least we all take this seriously:

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off.  After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know, don't want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.

Linux Airlines

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

Thanks,
Dave
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:10 AM »

Open Office was originally written for Linux, it was ported to Windose late in its development. Open Office is not in active development and hasn't been for years, Libre office is a spin off of OO an is in active development....

You had better look again.  Open Office has been in development and currently is in version 4.0.1.  It's now called Apache Open Office.  Now maybe the name change is what threw you off, but you're mistaken about it not being updated.

You certainly are right about Linux, however.  It isn't like it was even a few years ago when you had to put together and tweak the system before you could reliably use it.  I'd even say your humor about the Linux Airlines seats is about as old as that.  Now it's come to the point that they have the seat bolted in, but you've got to put the seatcover on yourself!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:28:46 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: