Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using XP??  (Read 55756 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2014, 04:53:19 AM »

Is there something about the word "Bundled" that you don't understand?  My statement says that Linux bundles this software, and that Windows does not.  You appear to have gone off on a tangent here, and are responding to something no one said...

Here it is for free - for Windows -

https://www.openoffice.org/

All anyone has to do is download it for FREE. Who cares if it's bundled or not? Why bundle a package that some people might not want? YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE.

By suggesting a three year old closed product, (Open Office, closed in 2011),

What the hell are you talking about now? You better brush up on the topic since you don't know what you are talking about.

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

https://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html

I have no idea what you are really ranting about - you are so into your arguments you can't see the forest for the trees. You can get a decent office bundle for free for Windows by just downloading it, so to me your rantings about this and that is open or closed argument is worthless.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2014, 05:00:58 AM »

Open Office was originally written for Linux, it was ported to Windose late in its development. Open Office is not in active development and hasn't been for years, Libre office is a spin off of OO an is in active development....
You had better look again.  Open Office has been in development and currently is in version 4.0.1.  It's now called Apache Open Office.  Now maybe the name change is what threw you off, but you're mistaken about it not being updated.
Hi,
I think W9CLL is right, the project titled "Open Office" is dead, and has been replaced with a number of different projects, one being called "Apache Open Office", and another being called LibreOffichttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.orge.  LibreOffice, is a descendant of the original project "Open Office", thus W9CLL's statement that "pen Office is not in active development and hasn't been for years, Libre office (sic) is a spin off of OO an is in active development...." See this statement: "Apache OpenOffice (AOO) is an open-source office productivity software suite. It descends from OpenOffice.org and IBM Lotus Symphony,[6] and is a close cousin of LibreOffice." from the Apache Open office Wiki site, at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice, and the statement: "For the descendant Apache project, see Apache OpenOffice." on the old Open Office Wiki site located at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org.

Your Linux Airline analogy is pretty much dead on...  Although the latest Linux distros are amazingly simple to install, and unlike windows, they don't wipe a second OS off the HD, they actually work with the user.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »

^^^ Pedantic.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2014, 06:14:17 AM »

Is there something about the word "Bundled" that you don't understand?  My statement says that Linux bundles this software, and that Windows does not.  You appear to have gone off on a tangent here, and are responding to something no one said...

Here it is for free - for Windows -

All anyone has to do is download it for FREE. Who cares if it's bundled or not?
I care, that is why I included the word "bundled" in my comparison of the two products.  I guess you missed the giant, black, and bolded letters right above the table of what was included, which you commented on, which had the word: "Bundled", in bold print to avoid just this sort of tangent taking.  For future reference, the word looks much like this:  "Bundled".   As I said in the last two posts, you are responding to something not said...  Thank you yet again for proving my point.  

Why bundle a package that some people might not want? YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE.
Is there some reason you are again repeating yourself, and shouting while you are at it?  It does not make your point any more valid, nor does it make your point any more clear to me.  Our interchange is becoming more and more like two people who speak a different language, you are shouting to make yourself understood, when the problem is not one of not hearing, but one of understanding.  It appears that you have again missed the point, I hear you, the words you speak just does not make sense to me.  You appear to have in fact, now met the actual definition of ranting, (which you began accusing me of initially), which is; "speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.".

By suggesting a three year old closed product, (Open Office, closed in 2011),

What the hell are you talking about now? You better brush up on the topic since you don't know what you are talking about.
Just so we don't go astray here, lets remember you originally suggested OpenOffice as a viable option for a presentations suite.  OpenOffice is dead!  See the Wiki entry for Open office here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice, refer to the First sentence in the from the top: "OpenOffice.org (OOo), a discontinued open-source office software suite, originally based on StarOffice".  I am not sure how to get any more clear here...  The package you recommended, (OpenOffice, not Apache OpenOffice), as a viable option for people to use is dead, and has been for three years.  It appears to me that you are confused about the names of the two products being discussed here...  That is what I am talking about...    

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

https://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html
You are now calling it by the correct name...  We are making progress again!  This is good!

I have no idea what you are really ranting about - you are so into your arguments you can't see the forest for the trees.
Sigh...  It is you that appears to be confused, calling things by the wrong name, suggesting three year old packages replace current packages, and responding to points not said, shouting, etc...  I am just trying to make sense of what you are saying...

You can get a decent office bundle for free for Windows by just downloading it, so to me your rantings about this and that is open or closed argument is worthless.
This is going no place...  Thank you for your time in this matter...  You can have the last word sir...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:16:32 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »

This is going no place...  Thank you for your time in this matter...  You can have the last word sir...

I agree - until you wish to stop being pedantic (look it up) this is a waste of time.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »

On this I will agree.. this is a waste of time. If you like Windose use it, if you like Linux use it, if you like OSX(unix) use it.

Oh and I also agree that I might have overstated something, OpenOffice is not dead officially. There is Apache OpenOffice which only recently started development again. Most of the developers left the OO project and started Libre Office. Libre office is in open development and is far ahead of where the AOO project is.

Anyway enough is enough...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:58:22 AM by W9CLL » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »

Just to add some humor here, least we all take this seriously:

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off.  After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know, don't want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.

Linux Airlines

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

Microsoft Refrigerator

Husband : I bought a new refrigerator, made by Microsoft

Wife: Great, I'm making some things for the family reunion.
Four Hours Later....
Wife: Why is the refrigerator not working?
Husband: Let me see, hmm..Oh dear...looks like it failed WGA
Wife: My potato salad...it's ruined!

Still using Windows XP Pro.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »

Microsoft Refrigerator

Husband : I bought a new refrigerator, made by Microsoft

Wife: Great, I'm making some things for the family reunion.
Four Hours Later....
Wife: Why is the refrigerator not working?
Husband: Let me see, hmm..Oh dear...looks like it failed WGA
Wife: My potato salad...it's ruined!

Microsoft Announces New, Configurable Blue Screen of Death!

In a surprise announcement today, Microsoft President Steve Ballmer revealed that the Redmond-based company will allow computer resellers and end-users to customize the appearance of the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), the screen that displays when the Windows operating system crashes.
The move comes as the result of numerous focus groups and customer surveys done by Microsoft. Thousands of Microsoft customers were asked, "What do you spend the most time doing on your computer?"

A surprising number of respondents said, "Staring at a Blue Screen of Death." At 54 percent, it was the top answer, beating the second place answer "Downloading XXXScans" by an easy 12 points.

"We immediately recognized this as a great opportunity for ourselves, our channel partners, and especially our customers," explained the excited Ballmer to a room full of reporters.

Immense video displays were used to show images of the new customizable BSOD screen side-by-side with the older static version. Users can select from a collection of "BSOD Themes," allowing them to instead have a Mauve Screen of Death or even a Paisley Screen of Death. Graphics and multimedia content can now be incorporated into the screen, making the BSOD the perfect conduit for delivering product information and entertainment to Windows users.

The BSOD is by far the most recognized feature of the Windows operating system, and as a result, Microsoft has historically insisted on total control over its look and feel. This recent
departure from that policy reflects Microsoft's recognition of the Windows desktop itself as the "ultimate information portal." By default, the new BSOD will be configured to show a random selection of Microsoft product information whenever the system crashes. Microsoft channel partners can negotiate with Microsoft for the right to customize the BSOD on systems they ship.

Major computer resellers such as Compaq, Gateway, and Dell are already lining up for premier placement on the new and improved BSOD.

Ballmer concluded by getting a dig in against the Open Source community. "This just goes to show that Microsoft continues to innovate at a much faster pace than open source. I have yet to see any evidence that GNU/Linux even has a BSOD, let alone a customizable one."

Yes... I already know Ballmer is gone...

Thanks,
Dave
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »

Oh and I also agree that I might have overstated something, OpenOffice is not dead officially. There is Apache OpenOffice which only recently started development again. Most of the developers left the OO project and started Libre Office. Libre office is in open development and is far ahead of where the AOO project is.

This "Open Office" vs "Apache Open Office" argument is, like I said, just a silly pedantic point.

Person #1: " I recommend a Cobalt for your next car."

Person #2: "I looked and looked and I couldn't find any "Cobalts" for sale! They are all 'Chevy Cobalts!' "

Person #1: "Uh, yea,  Sad well Chevy makes them, it's still a Cobalt even with "Chevy" in front of the name."

Person #2: "Oh it really doesn't matter then?"

Perrson #2: "Gah"  Undecided

Oh by the way - does anyone see "Apache" in the domain name below?

Roll Eyes

Anyway enough is enough...

Quite.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »

Linux lacks a universal GUI and app support. Like it or not compared to MS software/app choices are very limited. When you leave windows for linux you will find out over time that you are cutting your hamstrings so to speak and limiting your options. Grass is not greener once you cross the fence.

Yes, LInux based distributions lack a standard GUI. There are several to choose from... a strength.

Tell us, how long have you used Linux based software, and what distribution have you used the longest?

Rick KK4GGL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

This "Open Office" vs "Apache Open Office" argument is, like I said, just a silly pedantic point.

Person #1: " I recommend a Cobalt for your next car."

Person #2: "I looked and looked and I couldn't find any "Cobalts" for sale! They are all 'Chevy Cobalts!' "

Person #1: "Uh, yea,  Sad well Chevy makes them, it's still a Cobalt even with "Chevy" in front of the name."

Person #2: "Oh it really doesn't matter then?"

Perrson #2: "Gah"  Undecided

Oh by the way - does anyone see "Apache" in the domain name below?

Roll Eyes

As a matter of fact, you just shoved your foot in your mouth and swallowed your leg too.  Never mind the domain name--open the page.  Right at the top of the webpage is this:

Apache Open Office
100,000,000+ downloads
The free and open productivity suite.

Which leads the supposed fact that Apache Open Office is the follower to Open Office.

But what else does anyone expect from a self proclaimed and self promoted idiot.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:55:21 PM by K1CJS » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:39 PM »

More Linux humor...

sudo chown -R us ./allyourbase

Thanks,
Dave
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »

As a matter of fact, you just shoved your foot in your mouth and swallowed your leg too.  Never mind the domain name--open the page.  Right at the top of the webpage is this:

Apache Open Office
100,000,000+ downloads
The free and open productivity suite.

Which leads the supposed fact that Apache Open Office is the follower to Open Office.

But what else does anyone expect from a self proclaimed and self promoted idiot.

LOL - you just proved my point. The exact name isn't that important. Open Office ... Apache Open Office ... it isn't nearly as big a deal as you are making it out to be. Any non-pedantic person can find it and would know what I mean by Open Office.

Oh, and if you are going to start throwing insults then I am sure to follow. But be aware - you started the insulting which I am reporting to the moderators as we speak.

Oh by the way - Hail to the UV-5R!!!!!!!
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »

Personally I fail to see/understand the lust some have to keep a 15 year old OS alive that does not even support modern hardware and concepts.

Because, like any other TOOL, it does what I need it to do and does it to my satisfaction.  To me, a computer is neither a toy nor does it define my self image (nor does a car or any other possession) so, just like my screwdrivers or socket sets or test equipment, as long as it does the job, I'm satisfied.
Tom
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

Oh, and if you are going to start throwing insults then I am sure to follow. But be aware - you started the insulting which I am reporting to the moderators as we speak.

Oh by the way - Hail to the UV-5R!!!!!!!

Speaking of CHILDISH!

Tom
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: