Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on selling a Kenwood TS-930SAT  (Read 5244 times)
KD7YVV

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

I have a Kenwood TS-930AT with the external SP-940 speaker.
This radio is huge, weighs about 40 pounds, and is bascally too much radio for me.
I've never sold a radio before and am unsure as to what to do. I'm not even sure what
to sell it for, but some research on the net shows between 600-800 to be the norm.
What would be the best way to sell this radio, and what would be the best way to
pack and ship it (if necessary) to be sure that the radio isn't damaged during shipping.
Is it best to sell it locally? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »

My vote is for a local demonstration and sale.  Be patient.  I used to ship with not much thought and had no problems.

Now, I only ship to those I know or have dealt with before.  Too many horror stories posted on our message boards.

Craigslist has been pretty good for me.

Good luck,

Ed WA4NJY
 Bradenton, Fl
KD7YVV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »

Thank you for your reply. I've never sold a radio before so it's new experience for me.
It's a beast. Too much for this old brain. Smiley
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 05:01:16 AM »

2nd local Craig's List, let the potential buyer see, touch, smell and play hand over the cash and carry away.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »

As an 'aside,' if you're uncomfortable with this rig you should probably sell it. 
The 930 was noted for having a marginal power supply.  The one that I was asked to look at had a blown power supply were the resistors overheated and destroyed part of the power supply PCB. 

The owner didn't want to gamble $100 for a new supply (From Kenwood - No longer available now) because we had no guarantee that anything else downstream of the supply wasn't damaged.  When he passed away another guy picked up the radio and added an outboard 28VDC supply and it works fine.

FAR Circuits makes a replacement PCB to go with an updated power supply circuit for the 930. Otherwise this is a fine radio, but as you pointed out, it's  huge and heavy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: