Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couldn't sleep....saw crazy scam on a buy/sell site  (Read 5262 times)
VE9AAE

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »

Couldn't sleep so I was surfing the net and saw this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/ham-radio-cb-radio-smallest-ht-in-the-world/583747661?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

(Don't know how long it will be available) but here's the description:

"14-Apr-14
Price   
$499.99
Address   Toronto, ON M3C, Canada
View map
I have the 1st prototype of the worlds smallest handie talkie!  I normally use it on Channel 19, but it covers from 24Mhz all the way to 50Mhz inclusive! No gaps, no guff, this is all CB and Ham stuff.

This tiny little power pack punches a whopping 75 watts output on a full charge.  Continuous transmit about 7 minutes, 4 days standby.

Be the first in your city to carry this miniature futuristic transceiver into your Tim Hortons to buy a double double.  They'll think you're Secret Service and the coffee will be on them!

Dont delay!
Price is firm.  Low ballers will be ignored."

The funny part is they even copied the photo from an ad for the real item (obviously a kids toy)
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=20237590

75 watts!  Pretty impressive, lol.

I realize it isn't ham radio, but then again it is the misc section.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:42:34 PM by VE9AAE » Logged
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »

Nice catch. Never ceases to amaze me what some try to do for money.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »

Give the guy credit for trying. 
If he gets his price, I will have no sympathy for the buyer

WB2EOD
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »

Does it come with a Nomex glove to hold onto it while it is transmitting at 75W?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »

Kijiji is owned by Ebay. What happened is that a former employee of Craigslist went to work for Ebay. The guy still owned something like a 20% stake in CL, which he handed to his new bosses. Ebay then decided to buy the rest of CL, presumably to shut it down. Newmark refused to sell. The lawyers got involved. Eventually, Ebay started Kijiji to compete with CL. Kijiji quickly became known as a haven for scammers. Kijiji is rarely used except by scam artists.
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:45 AM »

Couldn't sleep so I was surfing the net and saw this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/ham-radio-cb-radio-smallest-ht-in-the-world/583747661?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

(Don't know how long it will be available) but here's the description:

"14-Apr-14
Price   
$499.99
Address   Toronto, ON M3C, Canada
View map
I have the 1st prototype of the worlds smallest handie talkie!  I normally use it on Channel 19, but it covers from 24Mhz all the way to 50Mhz inclusive! No gaps, no guff, this is all CB and Ham stuff.

This tiny little power pack punches a whopping 75 watts output on a full charge.  Continuous transmit about 7 minutes, 4 days standby.

Be the first in your city to carry this miniature futuristic transceiver into your Tim Hortons to buy a double double.  They'll think you're Secret Service and the coffee will be on them!

Dont delay!
Price is firm.  Low ballers will be ignored."

The funny part is they even copied the photo from an ad for the real item (obviously a kids toy)
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=20237590

75 watts!  Pretty impressive, lol.

I realize it isn't ham radio, but then again it is the misc section.
It is funny and you never know what you will find surfing the net.
I am shocked at how much ham gear is over priced on ebay but still sells.
I was listening to a qso on ten meters a few days ago and a ham from Mexico was talking.
He said that the IC-7410 that sells at gigaparts web site for about $1,500 was selling for $3,500 in Mexico.
Sounds kinda crazy but maybe it is hard to get the radios into Mexico and other places.

Best 73,
Charles, KD4TVB,
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:28:23 AM »

It is funny and you never know what you will find surfing the net.
I am shocked at how much ham gear is over priced on ebay but still sells.
I was listening to a qso on ten meters a few days ago and a ham from Mexico was talking.
He said that the IC-7410 that sells at gigaparts web site for about $1,500 was selling for $3,500 in Mexico.
Sounds kinda crazy but maybe it is hard to get the radios into Mexico and other places.

Best 73,
Charles, KD4TVB,

It is indeed difficult to import items into Latinoamerica. A few countries, such as Argentina, have banned all imports in a move intended to boost "domestic industry". Problem is, these places don't HAVE any domestic industry. That means that most durable goods are impossible to find at any price, and there are chronic shortages of food and toilet paper. Mexico likely isn't that bad, but importing goods into anywhere south of the Rio Grande is a big hassle.
NV5E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »

Probably some kind of joke judging by his other ad:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/ham-radio-shortwave-amateur-radio-and-cb-radio/580161770

A cheap-o shortwave radio for $699.99, bought from a sweat shop in India, antenna made from scrap, no trades (unless for ice cream).
VE9AAE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »

NV5E,
Quite possible although I've seen a number of amateur transceivers (old HTs or HF sets) listed as scanners or CBs asking upwards of $1000.00 on occasion. I could see rare or collectors items but for some of the more common stuff it's quite a stretch.

My only experiences with Kijiji up here has been for things in the local area where the owners were willing to let you see the item and try it out. Picked up an older dual band Alinco HT that way.
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »

Last time I was at home, Colombia SA, which was in the early 90's I saw them selling they Yaesu FT-23R  for almost $700.00 which at the time I believe Yaesu had already discontinued this radio by then and when it did sell I believe it was between 200-300 dollars.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »

Based on one of the reviews, 5 feet would be DX with these!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »

I offer for sale, before putting this up for sale at a popular auction site local to me, one original "Realistic" Radio Shack 1W CB hand held, crystal-controlled 5-channel transceiver.

It is "real AM," and very stable due to its unique crystal control design.  Actual measured output was 1.1097W, greatly exceeding the specification.  It features a "universal" battery pack of 6 AA batteries, which can be old-fashioned carbon-zinc, or alkaline, or rechargeable nickel-cadmium, nickel metal-hydride, or even Li-Po types.  That's another unique feature which you won't always find!  The great minds who designed this state of the art product were thinking years ahead.

Only $999, and quantities are limited. Wink

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »

Hello.

The problem is that the radio must follow that countries rules for import.
For example, there is (was) a GEmex division of GE that produced 2 way radios.
Harris now owns that, and, you guessed it, badge says Harrismex.
But, a lot of electronics are assembled in Mexico, look at a lot of Motorola talkies.
So, import rules are there.
In the US, a refrigerator might be made in China, but in Mexico, the thing is made in Mexico.
It is really only final assembly of a knock down kit, but it meets the requirements.
So, yes, some things are more expensive.
In Cuba, want a ham rig? license? build the rig!
I have the plans for about 6 models the Cubans build.
International Crystal sold for years modules that could be assembled into a radio.
Now, there are IC units that do the same thing.
Almost everything comes from Europe.
So, there are all sorts of contrasts, from the guy who is selling stuff on the web, to places where the web is all but banned.
But, this is radio, and although we may not be able to email a Cuban, that QSO is always fun!
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »

Kijiji in the US is Ebay classifieds.
Yes, there was a problem with Craigslist in the US, and ebay went to court, and lost.
In fact, ebay had to change its business model, following that of a newspaper classifieds.
I have looked at ebay classifieds, and right now, Craigslist looks better.
But, be caution as your guide, unlike ebay, there is no scoring system, no warranty, no refunds, nothing.
There is no "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval/

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: