Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No outlook express in Windows 7  (Read 10853 times)
K0CBA

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »

Damned Microsoft!  I really miss not having Outlook Express with Win. 7.   Can't click on a "contact" to e-mail.

Any ideas for some way to get this to work without buying the over price Office, or maybe an add on little program? 

I am not wild about switching to Google Chrome but would that do what I want?

Tnx,
Bob 
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »

I used to use Thunder bird for email and liked it. It's made by the organization that makes Firefox, and totally free.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »

MS killed off outlook express. There are a lot of free solutions out there and better than Thunderbird with lacks flexibility. I use Sylpheed which has its roots in Linux world. It handles multiple accounts very nicely.

BTW, Thunderbird is no longer being actively developed or upgraded and has been that way for some time now. Its kinda a dead end of sorts.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:36:52 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »

I believe you, I know you keep up with computers and I think I've heard that it was not getting much work any more, but the latest version was released less than a month ago.

"v.24.5.0, released: April 29, 2014"

I used to like it but have not used it in years...was the first thing I thought of when OP asked for a free mail client.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »

I believe you, I know you keep up with computers and I think I've heard that it was not getting much work any more, but the latest version was released less than a month ago.

"v.24.5.0, released: April 29, 2014"

I used to like it but have not used it in years...was the first thing I thought of when OP asked for a free mail client.

They are just doing a occasional security fix but no program updates. 

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

Windows Live Mail from Microsoft is a lot like Outlook Express. Many of the configuration screens look exactly like the old Outlook Express ones. It's a free download - part of Windows Live Essentials - and you can carefully deselect all the elements you do not want. Take care that you download from a Microsoft site and not a third party one.

73, Paul G4IJE.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

Windows Live Mail from Microsoft is a lot like Outlook Express. Many of the configuration screens look exactly like the old Outlook Express ones. It's a free download - part of Windows Live Essentials - and you can carefully deselect all the elements you do not want. Take care that you download from a Microsoft site and not a third party one.

73, Paul G4IJE.

This is a form of web mail not a true stand alone client

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »

My Eudora has not been updated since  a looooong time ago and still works just fine.

As for thunderbird they still deliver security and maintenance release so as long as there are no features missing it's completely usable. I love being able to eradicate duplicate messages for example.

D

MS killed off outlook express. There are a lot of free solutions out there and better than Thunderbird with lacks flexibility. I use Sylpheed which has its roots in Linux world. It handles multiple accounts very nicely.

BTW, Thunderbird is no longer being actively developed or upgraded and has been that way for some time now. Its kinda a dead end of sorts.

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »

Damned Microsoft!  I really miss not having Outlook Express with Win. 7.   Can't click on a "contact" to e-mail.

Any ideas for some way to get this to work without buying the over price Office, or maybe an add on little program? 

I am not wild about switching to Google Chrome but would that do what I want?

Tnx,
Bob 

Take a look at Mailbird (getmailbird.com).  It is free (and easy to setup) for up to 3 email accounts and is pretty nice.  It takes all the good features of my favorite (Mac-only) email program, Sparrow, and moves them to the Windows world. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

Sylpheed can be found at link below and supports Windows and now Mac OS X. Very solid client that is very customizable too. Handles POP and IMAP email with ease. IMAP is way to go too if your E-mail provider supports it.

http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:20:30 AM »

73, Paul G4IJE.

Really? It uses POP/IMAP and SMTP and emails are stored locally on the user's PC (as .eml files). Many of the account configuration screens are identical to Outlook Express. Sounds like a client to me.

P.S. It also imports Outlook Express .dbx files.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:32:16 AM by G4IJE » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »

73, Paul G4IJE.

Really? It uses POP/IMAP and SMTP and emails are stored locally on the user's PC (as .eml files). Many of the account configuration screens are identical to Outlook Express. Sounds like a client to me.

P.S. It also imports Outlook Express .dbx files.

Curious but "Live" requires MS services and installs to support live so it is not really a true stand along. Also if you have a Outlook email account you can also route other email accounts thru it.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »

It sounds to me like a "hybrid" where e-mails are stored locally and can be viewed without an Internet connection. However, new e-mails appear to be processed via a Microsoft server rather than getting them directly from your local ISP's e-mail server.
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »

It sounds to me like a "hybrid" where e-mails are stored locally and can be viewed without an Internet connection. However, new e-mails appear to be processed via a Microsoft server rather than getting them directly from your local ISP's e-mail server.

As far as I can see nothing goes via a Microsoft server. You fill in your POP/IMAP/SMTP details just the same as other mail clients and you do NOT need a Microsoft account to download it or use it. I work in IT and we install Windows Live Mail for our customers who have moved from XP and Outlook Express to Windows 7. Are you guys getting muddled with Outlook.com?
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 05:20:03 PM »

Windows 7 Home Premium has one built in. From the start menu use the search at the bottom and type in  \Program Files\Windows Mail/ select the .exe file and it will install the in house mail client. It is very very similar to the old Outlook.

Rick ^i^
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: