Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI's)  (Read 171474 times)
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »

I emailed Mike Gruber and Ed Hare at the ARRL Lab yesterday with the results of the installation(s) here on my street on Tuesday. They wanted to know how everything went especially with the common mode choke installed.

I also spoke with Joe Fello of Eaton yesterday and let him know how things went and offered to let them try any improvements they make to their HAM breakers on my circuit that consistently trips with the HAM breakers.  I have  got to interact with Joe quite a bit during that last 5 months and I feel we have a good relationship so I look forward to testing any improvements they make to their CHFCAF115 style breaker.

There may be "light at the end of the tunnel" for the AFCI issue even though we all realize it is a work in progress with more evaluation and work needs to be done on these PITA devices. We don't want them, really don't need them, but are stuck with them like it or not.

Terry, W4TL
AK2L

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:42 AM »

My house was built in September of 2013.  It has 7 AFCIs for the bedrooms.  Yesterday I had a chat with the house builder's project manager (about an unrelated issue) and learned that had my house been built after January 1, 2014, it would have AFCIs on almost every circuit.

I do not share your optimism about this being solved soon.

73 de AK2L
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

Hope you let the ARRL know about your concerns.  They say they have had only a few complaints, most of them solved.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: August 29, 2014, 02:16:07 PM »

They haven't seen this thread then.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: August 30, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »

Fairly good reason for low number of AFCI complaints. Two factors must exist for a complaint, there must me a susceptible AFCI breaker (mainly new construction), there must be a nearby Amateur that operates on the frequencies that cause problems.

Since much of the new construction has anti-Amateur (anti-antenna) restrictions, the confluence of Amateur and AFCI is low at this time. It will become worse as things progress.

KF7CG
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »

I am just wondering if others are experiencing problems with the new Eaton AFCI's? I recently moved into a new home in a 55 and older Del Webb Community (which incidentally restricts antennas) and began to assemble a modest station (100 watts with a small vertical antenna). Well I got everything in place and began to check out the antenna, etc. and my wife advised me that some of the electrical circuits in the house went off. Well i went to the breaker box to reset the breakers and try again with power reduced to about 20 watts. They still tripped. At this point I realized I had EATON AFCI's,

Since this blog was started over three months ago there has been a lot learned about the Eaton AFCI's and their problems. There have been several individuals comment about their problems with these devices and I think the comments made both positive and negative have helped all of us gain more knowledge on this subject.

Going back to the root of my original question, "I am just wondering if others are experiencing problems with the new Eaton AFCI's?"  I honestly feel that there are others out there who are having the same problems and have not made comments here on the blog. We would like to hear from you too. Out of over 106K hits on tis blog there have to be others who have not spoken up and made any comments.

Most of the problems I had have been addressed and taken care of with the exception of one house. That house is immediately to my left and is not sold and is vacant. I have tried to get the builder (Pulte Homes) to let Eaton's electrical contractor come and change the AFCI's out and they have refused and offered up the excuse that they were not going to let a third party contractor come in and do work on an unsold house. Well, I guess that they can be that way if they want. After I get on the air the builder comes by in a day or so and resets the breakers. When I get on the air again the breakers trip and the cycle starts over. I'm sure if a prospective buyer is in the house when I get on the air and the breakers start tripping they may have second thoughts about buying that particular house. Not My Problem, I tried to point them in the right direction and they wanted no part of it.

Anyway, if there are others out there that are reading this blog that are having problems with AFCI's please let the blog hear from you.

Terry, W4TL
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: September 02, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »

Pulte doesn't want to even discuss AFCIs with me.  I have had to handle the whole process myself.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: September 02, 2014, 09:04:10 PM »

If you do a Google search on the terms 'arc fault circuit interrupter ham radio' this thread comes up as number three on the search results.  The high hits on this thread could be the result of non-hams (i.e. homeowners, electricians, etc.) visiting this site.  Non-hams won't bother to register in order to post.  The traffic on this thread is quite astounding compared to the number of active users on this site.

Jonathan W6GX
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: September 03, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »

I am not surprised about the homebuilder's attitude.  "brand new, nothing wrong, best materials possible, master tradesmen, I took a shower this morning, everything is wonderful and you're the best!"

sell it and run.  there is a reason all these developments have names.  builder X did this one as "Gateway Mastersuites Management, LLC," which will cease to exist 6 months after the last lot is sold.  after 6 units sold, they have the money to develop "Prarietails View Development Partners LTD."  the reason is... sell it and run.  if the management company has liquidated, you can't come tossing lawsuits at them.
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: September 03, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »

Pulte doesn't want to even discuss AFCIs with me.  I have had to handle the whole process myself.

Pulte's Field Manager(s) here at The Village At Deaton Creek are really not interested in resolving any issues on anything with one exception.  That exception is to get you to a closing on time and to get your check. When that is completed they will hardly speak to you.

I have basically handled all of the leg work on getting the AFCI issues handled here too.

We still would like to hear from others who are having or who have had with AFCI's tripping with HF transmissions.

Terry, W4TL
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »

To show you about some of our ARRL friends are thinking, my Division Director has decided my emails are spam.  Pathetic!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: September 04, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

YZ, their mail handler may be rejecting emails based on the history of some email providers.  use your ARRL mail to contact and ask that he whitelist your regular mail address.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »

To show you about some of our ARRL friends are thinking, my Division Director has decided my emails are spam.  Pathetic!

I think he's trying to say his plea for help is being ignored.

Jonathan W6GX
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: September 04, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »

My email to n5zgt (at)arrl (dot)org wasn't rejected before so I know he just doesn't want to hear about this problem.  Still pathetic!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: September 04, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »

To show you about some of our ARRL friends are thinking, my Division Director has decided my emails are spam.  Pathetic!

Don't feel bad.  Mine too.  Makes you wonder why some hams have a bone to pick with their ARRL division leadership.... NOT!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: