Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB loses connection  (Read 3937 times)
N4EDI

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »

I am using a new Dell XPS 8700 desktop with Windows 8.1 to connect to my Icom 7600 using a usb cable. Everything works well until I push the brake release button on my rotor box. It is a CDE HamIII. When I push the brake release I lose usb connection to my radio. I have tried a new usb cable and tried moving the box to different locations on my bench. Same result. I have a Davis weather station hooked by usb to the same computer and it is not affected. Would an RC snubber across the transformer help anything?
Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed
N4EDI
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »

My USB keyboard usually disconnects when I transmit on 17 meters. So, an RF issue affecting USB is not unheard of. That's all I got, good luck.
N4EDI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:01:52 AM »

This is not an rf problem. It does ok when I transmit it only loses connection when I press the brake release button on my rotor box.
Thanks,
Ed
N4EDI
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »

While the rotor box is the source of the disturbance it might be simpler to solve the problem at the USB link. Placing a USB 2.0 hub between the PC and the IC 7600 would be my first attempt at solving the problem. The next step up is a USB isolator.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:55:18 AM by WX7G » Logged
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »

Try an ACTICVE hub, one with a power supply.

I'll bet there's a huge ground hit when you touch the button on your rotor.
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »

USB ports will stop working from time to tmie, particularly after your computer patches. Just unplug the USB device from that port, and plug it into another one. Of copurse, if your cmoputer is an older machine, you may not have any spare/unused USB ports. In that case, N1DVJ's suggestion of an active hub will work.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »

USB ports will stop working from time to tmie, particularly after your computer patches. Just unplug the USB device from that port, and plug it into another one. Of copurse, if your cmoputer is an older machine, you may not have any spare/unused USB ports. In that case, N1DVJ's suggestion of an active hub will work.

They will not stop for no reason. If port becomes disabled it is because of a driver issue. I have never "lost" a port.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:49:50 PM »

I've seen it happen for the past number of years since USB was introduced. I've done computer tech support for 30 years.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »

I've seen it happen for the past number of years since USB was introduced. I've done computer tech support for 30 years.

I have only seen a issue when ports are unplugged and later reconnected or ports are swapped. When device is left plugged in all the time is has been fine. Been doing this since before Windoze. I do admit the XP is flakier about plug and play than newer versions and some hardware is flakey but again you are getting back to proper drivers.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »

I have only seen a issue when ports are unplugged and later reconnected or ports are swapped. When device is left plugged in all the time is has been fine. Been doing this since before Windoze. I do admit the XP is flakier about plug and play than newer versions and some hardware is flakey but again you are getting back to proper drivers.

I was in a corporate environment for the past 5 years... they may have pushed patches that disabled the USB ports. I got to maintain the computers, but the patches came from elsewhere. Right after a patch, I would get from 1-20 phone calls and emails about keyboards and mice no longer working. I had them plug them into another port, the keyboards and mice started working again. Plug them back into the previous port, they stopping working. Rebooting didn't solve it.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »

I was in a corporate environment for the past 5 years... they may have pushed patches that disabled the USB ports. I got to maintain the computers, but the patches came from elsewhere. Right after a patch, I would get from 1-20 phone calls and emails about keyboards and mice no longer working. I had them plug them into another port, the keyboards and mice started working again. Plug them back into the previous port, they stopping working. Rebooting didn't solve it.

I have no doubt it was a hardware or driver issue. In a corporate purchase the units are usually low quality for low price.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »

In days past, when USB modems and USB tape drives existed, having both connected to the same USB controller would cause the tape drive to stop working until the machine was restarted.

The solution back then was to have the tape drive connected to it's own USB controller
usually but not always, the front USB connectors use a different USB controller than the rear connections.
Current machines have a lot more than two controllers so try connecting the rotor to a different USB port.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

In days past, when USB modems and USB tape drives existed, having both connected to the same USB controller would cause the tape drive to stop working until the machine was restarted.

The solution back then was to have the tape drive connected to it's own USB controller
usually but not always, the front USB connectors use a different USB controller than the rear connections.
Current machines have a lot more than two controllers so try connecting the rotor to a different USB port.

In all fairness early USB was a bit flaky until 1.1 level helped and improved a lot at 2.0. I lot of XP machines are at 1.0 or 1.1.

N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »

The bottom line is that in the early days of USB most of the programmers were total idiots in how they thought was the right way in how to use it.  The only thing that brought out more idiots than USB was the 'previous expansion standard' of PCMCIA. 

Idiot programmers persisted in trying to use PCMCIA, and later USB, the say way they did hardware com ports. 

To be fair, the hardware com ports were braindamaged, so most of the idiocy of how software was written was an outgrowth from some of the people that hacked the ports till they sorta got it to work, without really understanding how it worked. 

The hardware idiocy followed along to PCMCIA, but was sorta under control.  Except that with PCMCIA the cards had a 'generic' directable interrupt.  Even the PCMCIA cards themselves we playing to the idiocy by defining 'COMx' when in reality PCMCIA was just as easy to use linear addresses and put them anywhere. 

OK,  want to know how I really feel?  Just get me riled up over ATA stuff!

But back to USB...  There are a few gotchas with USB, but it's not where most people think.  IF the USB is implemented cleanly, and the driver is written correctly, then there should be no problem. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: