Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleartone CM7000 and programming software  (Read 2759 times)
WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »

I picked up a CM7000 radio this morning at a car boot sale which I was assured operates from 137 to around 160Mhz.
Having reaserched the radio when I got home, I powered it up and the display came on. All it says is 'Club Radio CH 1 on the display, and this can't be changed. Having done some research I came across a couple of sites discussing it. The first one suggests that the radio can be programmed:

http://www.qsl.net/gm8aob/pages_2/CM7000_prog.htm

My radio has a slightly different button layout than the ones in the pictures. For example, it does not have an obvious [CH]annel button. Instead it has a FCH and up/down arrow keys. The 4 buttons under the display are unmarked. Mine does not have the square power on/off button, but the round one, so I presume it can only be programmed using the appropriate software and interface.

The second site appears to have some CM7000 programming software, but won't let me download it.

http://datasilo.co.uk/?p=49

I also can't see any way to sign up to the site.

Does anyone know whether this radio can be programmed? Does it need a hardware interface and if so, where can I get details of how to construct one? Where can I get the programming software?

Is it worth the effort?
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »

I take it this is a standard CM7000 radio body and head only? Its not an A/A4 repeater or any of the other dozen or so variations consisting of either one or two mobile radio bodies and/or one or two CH600 or CH650 Puma handhelds in a cabinet?

If its just the mobile radio (and leaving aside the change its an AM/FM conversion!), then you require the correct programming software, a RIB (interface box) and an old PC to run it on. Bear in mind that the software versions and the radio versions that are compatible were never properly documented, and there are lots of variations.

The 'good' news is that the interface is a simple MAX232 RS232 to TTL converter. The bad news is the radio end wiring is also very variable and documentation hard to come by (some radios will program from the head or the rear socket, some only one or the other!)

The online Pye Museum http://www.qsl.net/gm8aob/pages_2/CM7000.htm has some programming info, plus a wealth of pictures identifying different Cleartone radio and repeater varients. I serviced all types of Public Safety/Emergency Service Cleartone systems many years ago, and can assure you they were a pig to work on, and a nightmare to program.

Interestingly, if you look here

this is one that I worked on - Literally! The tested sticker in the corner is one of mine!  Roll Eyes Bench 40, MB (Martin Barfield), ntl Kippax maintenance center.

WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »

Its not the repeater, G7MRV, but just the standard(ish) head and body.The link you mentioned is the same one that I included in my original post. Unfortunately none of the pictures seem to match the model I have exactly (I might post an image later). I presume an old PC is required because of the RS232 port which most new ones don't have or the operating system that the software runs on. I have some USB to Serial converters to get around the serial port problem, but so far I have failed to locate any software. I gather one can use the command prompt, but if its a 'pig to work on' with software, then command prompt is probably a non starter. Additionally, the RIB box will cost me more than the radio did and I'm not sure I want to spend time/money on an AM/FM conversion.

Unfortunately I wasn't told any of this when I brought it, but that's where you sometimes take a risk at car boot sales. I basically paid for a doorstop which I will probably have to write off. Maybe I can salvage a few useful parts...
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:05:04 AM »

Even when they were in current use with most UK police forces, the documentation was diabolical! The handhelds need self contained 'fill-guns' that themselves had to be programmed by the computer. The mobiles, well im not sure I ever used the same software version twice!

The mobiles themselves are actually made by JRC. BUt I dont know if that will help in sourcing any info.

If you take the lid off, and theres an extra PCB inside with a few thin coax's going to it, then its an AM/FM conversion (most ex-police will be!). The 'CPU clock offset' command in the software was used by cleartone to set whether AM or FM was in use!

If nothing else, theres some good usable parts inside them, the conversion board has a Plessey SL6700 IC, which are pretty rare but very useful!

Have you tested it to see what the 'club channel' is? It might be a ham frequency, but its also possible its an Aviation channel!

WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »

I took the shielding off. Unfortunately there is no extra PCB inside. There is a space for one and a couple of holes for tweaking things but no board. As for testing it, I powered it up and got some beeps when buttons were pressed but nothing on the screen and no radio type static. Maybe there is a squalch somewhere or maybe its dead as a radio. I don't have a mic, so maybe that's the problem. I couldn't find any information on the pinout to determine which (if any) pins needs to be joined to activate it.

Here is what it looks like:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: