Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for job  (Read 3654 times)
KB0ZJD

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »

I am relocating to the Denver, CO area and have been a stay at home dad working part time in retail for the last seven years. I have a college degree in electronics and have previous work in the field. With the relocating and only working part time the last several years I haven't been able to get a job in electronics in the Denver area.
I decided what better networking tool then fellow hams that are in the area that might be able to get me in connection with a job in the electronics field. I am looking to get into the telecommunications field specifically, but am open to anything electronics related at the present time.

I am moving there in June.

I sincerely thank you for any leads you provide me.

Nels Peterson Jr.
KB0ZJD
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »

Check out technical temp help agencies. Many short term contracts available. And don't let that scare you. It will get you in doors you never would in a general job search for full time permanent work. I took a 6 month contract with ABB factory in Milwaukee. Almost 5 years later, I am still there. Plus if you don't go full time, you get another one in another company. With each one you widen your expertise, which will open more possibilities.

And the stigma of such job hunting is pretty much gone since contract jobs are very common now. In some companies, more common then full time hires. But some ask for contract employees, and hire them full time anyway because they made themselves an asset for the company while on a contract.

The down side is if you are not taken on, you need to work on another. Typically I knew at least a month in advance if my contract end was actually the end with a particular company. So you usually have time to let your agency and others that you will be available soon. Then you can possibly slide out of 1 company and slide into another.

But don't let a contract deter you from the prize. The fact that you are working shows you are willing to work. And that helps in the long run with permanent jobs. And it is common for contractors to leave a contract for full time work. Just keep every one informed and give plenty of notice. Turns a bad recommendation into a good one.
KB0ZJD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »

Thank you for the awesome tip.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »

how close are you to these folks... ?  might be an opening there, now and then >>>

RF Concepts
634 South Sunset St.
Longmont, Colorado  80501
KB0ZJD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

Thanks for the tip, will contact them.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »

IBM  in  boulder.  right next door..IBM  plant..
KB0ZJD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »

Thank you for the info will contact.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »

I don't know about Colorado but in Florida the unemployment office offers many job placement services. They maintain a website that you can 'filter' the job search results based on your particular knowledge and experience. They are willing to help even if you are not drawing unemployment.

Be wary of on line job search websites they open a veritable Pandora's box of issues from phone calls to incessant spam. I cant count the times I filled an application on line at some job placement website only to receive a persistant phone call minutes later trying to get me to sign up (pay) for training and job placement services. Some of the petitioners were extremely aggressive and when hung up on would call back minutes later.
KB0ZJD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »

Thanks for the tip, will do my best to keep from getting any more spam than I already have Smiley
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »

telephone companies are outsourcing most of their outside work, and the installs.  there is work to be had.  good luck in the search.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »

telephone companies are outsourcing most of their outside work, and the installs.  there is work to be had.  good luck in the search.

If one has their own truck and tools, and the right knowhow, they pay extremely well too.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »

Comcast has a very large presence in the Denver Metro and all over Colorado. A lot of the western operations are managed there.
KB0ZJD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »

Awesome, I will see what I scrounge up for contract work as well, thanks for all the help.
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »

I am relocating to the Denver, CO area and have been a stay at home dad working part time in retail for the last seven years. I have a college degree in electronics and have previous work in the field. With the relocating and only working part time the last several years I haven't been able to get a job in electronics in the Denver area.
I decided what better networking tool then fellow hams that are in the area that might be able to get me in connection with a job in the electronics field. I am looking to get into the telecommunications field specifically, but am open to anything electronics related at the present time.

I am moving there in June.

I sincerely thank you for any leads you provide me.

Nels Peterson Jr.
KB0ZJD

Nels, look up Air Methods. They are a strong company, always looking for good talent. Aircraft Electronics service and support, has been, and IS thriving. Aviation is a diverse and lucrative industry. The depth and opportunity available will impress you. Aviation has been very good to me for over 35 years. Give it some thought, and check them out. Contact me offline for more specific info.

Good luck and good fortune!

terry in texas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: