Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to retrieve Web sites with only e-mail service?  (Read 3279 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »

Over 20 years ago, when the Internet was mostly text, I recall a service that would retrieve websites via e-mail.

Does anything like that still exist?  You would simply send an e-mail to this site with the URL you wanted, and it would e-mail the text back to you.

I am asking for a ham friend in a remote section of Colorado that only has e-mail and no Internet access. He cannot afford anything else.

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »

I know of nothing like that today, but beg the question - if he has E-Mail, how does he not have the Internet?  Unless he's posting via a RMS radio service (or similar), E-Mail uses the Internet for transport.  As does the World Wide Web (Web Pages).
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »

- if he has E-Mail, how does he not have the Internet? 

I don't understand that either. I asked him once, and I didn't really understand his answer. Something about the local ISP, IIRC. I'm not sure how computer-literate he is.

However, I did a different Google search a few minutes ago, and came up with some promising results. If anyone is interested, Google the following phrases:

How to retrieve Web sites with only e-mail service?
How to retrieve Web page with only email service?

I haven't tested any of the results to see how well any of it works.

K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »

Learned something new. :-)
This is what I found out of curiosity on this subject... http://www.faqs.org/faqs/internet-services/access-via-email/
I did not think it was possible.  Huh

Rick ^i^
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:33:30 PM »

That web page is way too long for me!  Smiley

There are a couple of other sites. And, a web site that those of us with Web access can use to e-mail a web page to someone.

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »

Then I hope he did do as my dad did years ago.  "No, I don't have the Internet, I only have E-Mail.   Here watch!" and proceeded to open a web browser to the E-Mail web page...
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »

We'll see, I just asked him "Please tell me again why you can get e-mail, but not Web pages?". But I think he has POP3 or IMAP e-mail service that's not web-based.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 04:10:20 PM by W0BTU » Logged

KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 08:47:48 AM »

He may have shell access, which doesn't include things like web sites.

edit:

For those who don't remember them, a shell access account is basically a command line/dos type window. No graphics, text only.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:55:54 AM by KF5VPK » Logged

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »

Hello.

I have JUNO, the free email service, and have to use a work around to do the web, but it can be done.
It is worse than dial up slow, but it does work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: