Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4nec2 in W7  (Read 1520 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »

Installed the latest 4nec2 and it won't work right unless I open it as administrator.  It's kind of a pain.  Is there any other way to work around this.  I think it's because the program is making new files as you go along in the program and W7 won't let it do that unless its running in admin mode.  I did set the Properties of the exe as run as admin, but it's still a pain.

Other thing is I installed it right under C:\ and when I try to associate an extension (.nec) it won't do that.  I think I need to install 4nec2 in 'Program Files'??
WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »

It really ought to be in a folder rather then just C:\. It could go in C:\Program Files, but under W7 applications usually do not have rights to create files in there. Instead they need to write to C:\ProgramData. Since we don't know whether 4nec2 is designed to do that, it might be better to create a folder such as c:\4nec2 and copy/install the program there.

Next, you will need to assign some rights to the folder.

- right click | Properties | Security | Edit

Make sure either your user name or the group 'Users' is on the list. If not, then click Add and type Users or your username into the box and click OK. This takes you back to the previous dialogue and adds the user or group to the list.

Now, click on the Users group or your username. The assigned permissions will appear checked under Permissions for Users in the box below. Make sure that Full Control (or at least Modify and Write) is checked. Then Ok a couple of times to save the settings.

Now try running your program. If it creates new files in the same folder, then should now have the permissions to do so and shouldn't prompt you.

N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »

Yes, it is under C:\4nec2 so it's in it's own folder.  I'll try editing the folder options and see if that works.  I originally put it in Program Files X86, but that was before I knew W7 would be screwing with me.  I may go back and put it under Program Files X86.  Then it will probably let me associate extensions and if I edit the folder permissions, it may all work out.

I'm not sure, but I may just try dragging the whole 4nec2 folder over to program files, I don't really think it matters, but it might screw up the control panel.  Probably best to uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks.
WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:59:05 PM »

W7 is indeed tighter on permissions. How are you trying to associate extensions with the program?

One way I am aware of is to select a file (i.e.your .nec file), right click it and select Open With and the Choose Default program. You will have to browse to the executable (4nec2.exe or whatever it is called) and select and OK the choice. This will create the assiciation in the first place.

You can change the association later as well by going Control pannel, Programs (not Uninstall a program!). Under Default programs select 'Make a file type always open in a specific program'. This will load a list of all of the extensions that your system recognizes and are assiciated with programs. Find the .nec extension and change it to what you require. This might be usefull if you happen to move the program to another location.

I am using W7 Pro. I'm not sure whether this follows on the W7 Home Premium edition or not, but hopefully it will.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »

I tried moving the directory to Program Files(x86) and it went back to it's old mode of not letting the program write to the directory, even when I run it as admin.  I could then associate the .nec file with the program however.  I couldn't get it to get away from that no write mode, so I just went back to having the program under the C:\ and it's working but I can't associate the .nec file.  I've tried the right click thing plus going into control panel and doing the associate thing, but it just goes back to programs in 'Program Files' directory and won't let me associate it.  It appears that programs have to be in one of the 2 Program Files directories or you can't associate it.

I may try uninstalling it and re-installing it, but I'm not holding my breath.  I can't believe others aren't having this problem.
WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »

... but it just goes back to programs in 'Program Files' directory and won't let me associate it. 

I'm not quite sure what you men by this. You can use the Browse button and browse to anywhere and find the .exe file to associate with. it doesn't have to be in C:\Program Files.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »

I don't understand it either, if I right click on a .nec file (C:\4nec2\models\example1.nec) and select Open With/Choose Default Program and then I get the 'Open With' window only 2 recommended programs show up, Adobe Reader and Notepad.  So I click on 'browse' and it immediately takes me to explorer 'Program Files', so I change it to C:\4nec2\exe\4nec2.exe and I select that and then another window opens that says 'open with' and I choose open and it goes back to the window with Adobe Reader and Notepad and nothing happens.  It doesn't open it just leaves me blank.  4nec2 is not listed under 'other programs' and it doesn't associate. I used to do this all the time in XP.  It didn't matter where the .exe file resided.

Booger.  There may be some way in W7 to change the default associate folders?
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:32 AM »

Think I've got it.  Dragged 4nec2 back to Program Files (x86) and set the permissions on the 4nec2 folder allowing everything for all users.  I'm the only user, so it doesn't matter.  Now everything seems to work without the blankety white error messages and .nec is associated with 4nec2.exe.

Thanks for some of the insights Wavey.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:24:54 PM »

I had the same problems, my solution is to run it on a win8.1 machine and do away with win7 entirely.

After moving to the win8.1 pc I have never had an issue with 4nec2 and I don't need to run as Admin either.

There is just Something about win7 and not wanting to play nice with any programs installed on it.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »

I've heard some stories about w8 too.  I was trying to stay away from it for other reasons.

Anyhow I've got it sorted as long as everything I'm using in the program is in the 4nec2 folder.

Actually I don't mind that it protects me from extraneous programs running or writing to my HD.  A feature XP didn't have.  It's not perfect though and I doubt W8 is either.

On to building my 3 element 6M gamma matched beam for the season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: