Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palstar AT2KD  (Read 3087 times)
K1PJR

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »

I have an AT2KD which I love except in has one minor issue.  The turn counter does not have a light which makes it a bit annoying at times especially at night. Before I take the cabinet off, does anyone know if there is access from the inside for an LED to illuminate the counter? From the photos at their site it looks as though it's sealed.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
K1PJR
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »

You're correct (I also have this model), it does not have a lighted
turns-counter display..  It is a minor issue for me, also

The only light it does have, is for the SWR/power meter display.
Think the unit would need more wires and a different kind of turns counter,  which (in my opinion) add more $$$$ to its' cost.

Ken KC8Y

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »

Every turns counter I've seen and used are sealed units without a way to illuminate the numbers.

This would be a cool modification to the unit.  When I build my 40m transceiver which uses an LCD readout that is difficult to read from more than 2ft., I decided to use outboard LED lighting.

I fashioned a "roof overhang" which I mounted on the outside of the front panel over the LCD readout.  The underside of the "overhang" was painted white and I used a strip of 3 ultra-bright LEDS, which has adhesive on the back side, under this "overhang."  Since the "overhang" is angled down, the LEDs shine on the LCD readout which now can be seen at any reasonable distance.

I fastened the "overhang" to the front panel with double-sided tape and the only modification to the front panel is a small hole for the 12vdc leads to the LEDs.

Something for you to consider.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:57:40 PM by K8AXW » Logged
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:50:30 AM »

Hello.

What I am thinking is an aircraft instrument post light.
http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/category/lighting-instruments
Get one from an old aircraft that upgraded to a glass cockpit.
The older ones use real light bulbs, so anything from 5 to 50 volts is an option.
LED? yes, you could go that route, but an old post light can be had for next to nothing.
The transformer can be a filament unit or even a walwart, or the power supply from the rig.
A post light has this hood that directs light down.
Position is not critical.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:38 AM »

Hello.

The other trick used with aircraft is a thin piece of fiber optic that gets sandwitched between the panel and instrument and is bent towards the instrument.
The advantage is no mods to the case or counter.
We are talking really thin.
They use around 6 threads to make this work.
The light source is usually a light bulb but who knows, an LED may be just the ticket.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »

I have the same tuner, I have placed a small desk light with a flexible  light over the tuner, it also give extra lighting for other parts of the station, great tuner and love that its only two controls over most tuners that use three, fast easy and repeatable.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »

I have the same tuner, I have placed a small desk light with a flexible  light over the tuner, it also give extra lighting for other parts of the station, great tuner and love that its only two controls over most tuners that use three, fast easy and repeatable.

My low wattage desk light does the same--and makes every piece of gear with an unlit panel easy to see and use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: