Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 20169 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »

Hello.

When I was living in downtown San Antonio, at night, there was rape alley, the alley behind Broadway and from Houston St to to 3rd street.
Friday nights I would just kick back at watch.
Usually a female, sometimes a male, would get raped.
Other than calling the police report a "Disturbance", I did nothing but watch.
Police show up? I am so out of there!
The reason was that I did not want to get shot.
This was prior to conceal carry, and the police did not care what the reason you were carrying, conceal carry was a felony.
The thugs all had guns, and there always was that "Gun Man", just far enough away but close enough.
Now, this does not happen, the thugs know that they might get shot!
I had a sofa I would kick back on, enjoy the view.
The sofa is gone, not that it matters, things are much quieter now.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »

Someone is being raped and all you do is watch?

You are the worst kind of coward I can think of.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »

Hello.

Like it or not, that is the way I am, call the police, kick back and wait.
I am not a coward, if it is someone I care for, I get involved.
But, And I must make this clear, Number One comes first.
You may disagree, but that is you.
Now, with conceal carry, this have changed somewhat.
But, to make this clear, I am NOT Mr. get involved.
I see drug transactions just like everyone else, and just like everyone else, call the police from a safe area.
The druggies know the response time for the police, and have a "Rotation", they are always on the move.
You can play footies with the gang bangers, I stay away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »

And, to make this clear this was "Just a rape" no need to get involved would be the answers I would get from others.
The fact that I would call the police was unusual.
In fact, read about this Kitty murder, it was first thought to be a rape or robbery, and not a murder in progress, by police dispatch.
Carrying a handgun is for self defense.
I am NOT a cop, and frequently do not carry anyway.
YOUR Robbery, rape or what have you is not my problem.
Like it or not, that really is the way it is.
Look around you, think the average person is going to help you?
The bunch with a blanket over their heads singing is not.
The reason that people who have conceal carry and are pulling out their weapons is a direct threat to them or someone they have direct ties with, and that is what is in the classroom material for conceal carry.
Otherwise it is phone call time, from a safe distance, yes, also in the training.
I did not change my stance on this when I got a concealed carry permit, the training only reinforced what I was already doing.
And, what would I have done anyway, sat out there with a blanket over my head and started to sing?
That is the reason you might consider keeping a gun.
I am not advocating the issue one way or the other, just pointing out the facts.
MOST people will do nothing, SOME people will call the police.
Do not count on anyone actually getting involved.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »

And, to make this clear this was "Just a rape"...

When you are in a hole and are trying to get out, the best thing to do is STOP DIGGING!
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »

Hello.

I am not in a hole, I am pointing out reality.
Guns by themselves do not pose a danger, it is the person.
I choose not to carry a gun, I am simply not always in a position that I know where I am going.
But, gun or no gun, I will not willingly place myself in harms way.
Some cops prefer you not have one, some cops do, but, whatever the case, you need to assume that the cop thinks you have a gun.
Gun or no gun, I have not changed my position.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

Hello.

I am not in a hole, I am pointing out reality.

That's right... the woman who was being raped was probably wearing a skirt that was too short and she was probably showing a little too much cleavage. The guy who forced himself on her probably just thought she was flirting with him. After all, why would a woman dress like that if she didn't want men to make advances on her? And besides, we all know that when a woman says, "NO!" she doesn't really mean it.

So really, it was all her fault since she was asking for it. This will be proven when the case goes to trial and she is made out to be a woman of "loose morals". And besides, the rapist's mother probably beat him as a child causing him to hate women so in reality, he is the victim here.

But that's OK. A few days in the hospital to tend to the physical wounds and a few months or maybe a year or two in counseling and she will be right as rain. And if she does end up being pregnant as a result, a quick abortion will wipe out all memory that this whole thing ever happened. After all, it is just rape!

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »

Lets hope that someone like PIU isn't the only person around if something like that happens to one of his family members.  Sad

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2014, 02:16:08 PM »

Sad part is I would say over 90% of those that carry cannot even consistently hit a 12 inch target at 15 yards and will more likely hit someone else instead.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »

Re: W8JX

Actually 95% of those that carry concealed or otherwise and know the purpose and best use of a hand gun could give a shit about hitting a 12 In. target at 45 ft. Try cutting back on CIS Los Angeles.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »

Actually 95% of those that carry concealed or otherwise and know the purpose and best use of a hand gun could give a shit about hitting a 12 In. target at 45 ft. Try cutting back on CIS Los Angeles.

There's the old saying, "Gun control is hitting what you are aiming at." If you can't consistently hit what you are aiming at, what's the point?
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »

No comment.
KF7WRU

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »

Re: W8JX

^^^^^^^
This
KF4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

Hello.

When I was living in downtown San Antonio, at night, there was rape alley, the alley behind Broadway and from Houston St to to 3rd street.
Friday nights I would just kick back at watch.
Usually a female, sometimes a male, would get raped.
Police show up? I am so out of there!
The reason was that I did not want to get shot.
This was prior to conceal carry, and the police did not care what the reason you were carrying, conceal carry was a felony.
The thugs all had guns, and there always was that "Gun Man", just far enough away but close enough.
Now, this does not happen, the thugs know that they might get shot!
I had a sofa I would kick back on, enjoy the view.
The sofa is gone, not that it matters, things are much quieter now.

My God man, do you know what you just said?  Perhaps there is a command of the written language issue here... I hope so.

There is always a percentage of people that can not, will not, or are not mentally capable of either defending themselves or their loved ones when attacked.  These are the people would rather have someone else (the police as an example) do this.  Excuses abound, but the result is the same.  I have never understood this non-preservation mentality; I just know that it exists and folks like this seem to be OK hoping someone else would prevent them being a victim (because they have emotionally delegated a third party to be responsible their preservation).  In many areas, you do not have a legal duty to help; either by calling for help or getting involved personally.... so you have the law to justify your non-action.

I personally would have trouble looking into a mirror every time I shaved for the rest of my life because I was too much of a coward to to do something to help a helpless innocent or my family.

W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »

I personally would have trouble looking into a mirror every time I shaved for the rest of my life because I was too much of a coward to to do something to help a helpless innocent or my family.

I've never been to San Antonio nor Texas, but having lived in Chicago I would guess there may exist settings and neighborhoods with certain alleys that are very dangerous late at night and where injecting oneself into such a situation w/out backup might be like suicide, no matter what you are carrying.   

what is strange here is the person who brought it up felt comfortable repeatedly hanging out in that alley, despite its nickname, and evidently did not find rape too despicable to watch.  that is more than troubling, but maybe he was just not making himself clear about how he felt about it  Huh   

today with cell phones, surely PIU would video the perpetrators and immediately get the video to the authorities?
or is he just yanking our chains from the get-go with this whole disturbing scenario?
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: