Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 17416 times)
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »

In some states, there a "duty to inform" if one is carrying. In other states there is no duty to inform when carrying.

I have seen comments in the gun forums saying that leaving your weapon on the dash or on the seat is what you should do. But that appears to be the case in states where open carry is legal without a permit and you don't have a permit.

Carrying or not, permit or no permit. You get pulled over at night, put on the dome light.

While some states do not have a duty to inform law, it is almost always recommended to inform the police. 

If a firearm is already out in plain sight (example, on the seat -- only a suicidal numbskull would leave a firearm on the dash), leave it there.  If it is not, NEVER reach for it so that you can put it in plain sight.  Do not reach for or touch a firearm unless the officer tells you to do so.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »

This is the reason I always wear my orange 'Emergency Communications Officer' vest, my ARES hat, and my police style ARES badge. My car is clearly marked with 'Emergency Vehicle' and ARES magnetic stickers, sporting an $1100. Gall's lightbar.
Always be ready to clearly identify yourself as an "emergency first responder'.  By doing these simple things it will help eliminate any 'misunderstandings' with your local LEOs.

Thx

No misunderstanding, the officer is about to choke to keep from rolling on the ground laughing.

Stand aside, I have arrived to save the day! I have a handy-talkie and I'm not afraid to use it!

What a whacker...

Don N4TTS
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »

So you are saying it only takes half as much thought to operate a radio?!!  Smiley  Now we know the where the problem lies in hamdom. 

But the consequences of an error in operating a radio are much less severe than an error in operating a gun. 
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 11:54:49 PM »

the cops are generally fine with legal concealed carry, in fact most cops fully support it. 

like with any issue, not all cops agree.  rural cops tend to support it; urban cops tend to want stricter gun control laws.

urban areas comprise the majority of America in terms of population; rural areas comprise the majority in terms of geography.

the gun industry has sent its sales skyrocketing by spreading fear that the govt wants to take away everyone's guns.

"a lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still putting its boots on" -- Mark Twain

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:58:24 PM by K9AIM » Logged
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 02:43:00 AM »

Hello.

When conceal passed in Texas there was a very vocal group of cops who said that this would change things.
The Governor said, How, are the crooks going to not want to shoot the police?!
The crooks are going to carry, permit or not.
But, some people are not aware of this concern.
Some people should not be cops.
That is not the issue.
At issue is this concern over people being aware of cops concern over weapons.
I breath fire, and at a function with the Governor I was to breath fire.
Some cop not assigned to this detail explained how he "Needed to search me for weapons".
It was pointed out how stupid this sounds, a breath 60 feet of fire, and the guy is looking for what?
But, yes, running around with a talkie, not driving, but walking, can be a concern.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »

Hello.

When conceal passed in Texas there was a very vocal group of cops who said that this would change things.
The Governor said, How, are the crooks going to not want to shoot the police?!
The crooks are going to carry, permit or not.
But, some people are not aware of this concern.
Some people should not be cops.
That is not the issue.
At issue is this concern over people being aware of cops concern over weapons.
I breath fire, and at a function with the Governor I was to breath fire.
Some cop not assigned to this detail explained how he "Needed to search me for weapons".
It was pointed out how stupid this sounds, a breath 60 feet of fire, and the guy is looking for what?
But, yes, running around with a talkie, not driving, but walking, can be a concern.

WTF???  PUI (posting under the influence)?

Don N4TTS
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

Breath fire??? Sounds like the guy is PO'd because a cop wanted to search him for concealed Tic Tacs within 60 ft. of the Governor's podium. Strange indeed.
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »

Some folks swallow swords, some folks breathe fire....
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »

Some folks swallow swords, some folks breathe fire....

you are correct sir: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_breathing

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »

a few warnings for anyone who thinks fire breathing is like a walk in the park:

http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-Fire-Breathing
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »

Warning, do not inhale.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »

Warning, do not inhale.

right, fire breathing does not kill people, but inhaling or being in the line of fire very well might...  Roll Eyes

if a cop pulls you over and you are a fire breather, i suppose the advice is do NOT reach for your torch nor your fuel of choice.  inform the officer of what you are carrying, tell him (or her) you are well-trained and ask him (or her)  how he (or she) wants to proceed.   Huh

to be a good fire breather you probably have to be so cool that you piss ice cubes...
AF5DN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »

Hello.

You do NOT need to be carrying a gun...

I don't know what country you live in, but in the country I live in, the Constitution guarantees me the right to have one (or more!) and I am allowed to carry it as long as I follow the laws in my state.

Yep.. for me it's not a question of "IF" I am packing..... but how many...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »

Hello.

You do NOT need to be carrying a gun...

I don't know what country you live in, but in the country I live in, the Constitution guarantees me the right to have one (or more!) and I am allowed to carry it as long as I follow the laws in my state.

Yep.. for me it's not a question of "IF" I am packing..... but how many...

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »

Hello.

As a rule, I do not carry.
It is not that I disagree with carrying, but the responsibility.
Remember, you have to have a super cool head.
I was in the parking lot of the Julian Castro campaign HQ 4 years ago with a friend.
This idiot David Van O's and his wife come up acting very odd.
He says I can not wear a cowboy hat, he has a patent on it.
I look at my friend who is about the drop the guy and am freaked.
I scream "Stop, Please Stop". and the guy does.
This is some fruitloot Democrat lawyer who was told about my antics and wanted me on his campaign.
I had no idea, not one inkling of who this guy is, all I saw at that moment was this idiot who is not acting normal.
Cops also have to deal with that.
That is my concern.
Had this guy pulled out his, well, anything, there is a very good chance he would be dead.
Again, people have been killed pulling out their cellphone!
And that does NOT have this black thing sticking out!
The point being, it is much better to be safe than sorry.
I run around with the VX-7r, and have had people report a person with a gun.
Have it on your belt, later at night, post 911, and yes, it does happen.
This post 911 fear is starting to die down, but still, be careful!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: