Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 12620 times)
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 04:54:26 PM »

While I'm not a huge fan of guns, I do own several.  I've already taken the required course work for a CCW and will pack when out in intermingling with people. 

We live in the type of society here where many consider life cheap.  Living with a blanket over your head singing Kumbaya will not make the boogieman go away.  We all have responsibility to protect ourselves and loved ones from any situation.

Believing anything else is simply foolhardy and playing the odds with your life. 
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »

i fear we are not far off from when people start homebrewing their own drones...

You're not serious!  People in this country have been building drones ever since the advent of miniature cameras and especially since the miniaturization of video cameras and transmitters!

Fortunately, it really hasn't become a problem nor are these hobbyists interested in surveillance of any kind.  Some babe sun bathing in the nude excepted.   Tongue   

i was talking about a drone to be used for malicious reasons by your Timothy McVeigh or al qaeda types.  unfortunately we can't be far away. and as far as a gun keeping you safe, if you wake up and see your weapon being pointed at you, it did not keep you very safe. 

unfortunately many guns get stolen or taken by children.  they are also often used in domestic disputes.  an argument could even be made that owning a gun makes you less safe.  i realize there is an argument the other way too, but maybe too many movies and video games make wielding a weapon seem manly without taking much time to depict just how big of a responsibility owning a gun and being a real man is.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »

Hello.

Here in the US, they just fly an airplane into whatever building.
After 911 we had some idiot fly a light plane into the IRS in Austin.
Some guy flew a light plane into the White House a few years back.
During world war 2, the Japanese had Kamikaze pilots.
People are willing to be trained to blow up as living bombs!
Drone? steal an advanced light plane, program the flight director, load it with all the bombs you can think of, and turn it loose.
Sorry but, at some point, somebody is GOING to do it.
The WTC was a high value target.
They made it hard to attack from the inside, so they took it out from the outside.
One plan was to steal a subway train, fill it full of explosives and stop it at the WTC station.
In the end, the cheapest and easiest plan was used.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:28 AM »

i fear we are not far off from when people start homebrewing their own drones...

You're not serious!  People in this country have been building drones ever since the advent of miniature cameras and especially since the miniaturization of video cameras and transmitters!

Fortunately, it really hasn't become a problem nor are these hobbyists interested in surveillance of any kind.  Some babe sun bathing in the nude excepted.   Tongue   

i was talking about a drone to be used for malicious reasons by your Timothy McVeigh or al qaeda types.  unfortunately we can't be far away. and as far as a gun keeping you safe, if you wake up and see your weapon being pointed at you, it did not keep you very safe. 

unfortunately many guns get stolen or taken by children.  they are also often used in domestic disputes.  an argument could even be made that owning a gun makes you less safe.  i realize there is an argument the other way too, but maybe too many movies and video games make wielding a weapon seem manly without taking much time to depict just how big of a responsibility owning a gun and being a real man is.

I can more easily understand your thinking after seeing you acknowledge movies and video games as your life experience. Are you also against fire extinguishers and burglar alarm systems?

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:21 AM »

Hello.

Owning a gun carries responsibility.
Some choose not to carry one, or perhaps even own one.
I can see someone freak out over something, and shooting.
All the more reason to be aware of this possible danger.
Remember, not everyone is clear headed.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »

I can more easily understand your thinking after seeing you acknowledge movies and video games as your life experience. Are you also against fire extinguishers and burglar alarm systems?

first, you are too quick to jump to conclusions.  i am not against guns and do not play video games, and rarely do I watch movies.
i support laws that regulate driving -- but that does not mean i am against automobiles!!! 

30 people die everday in the USA from gun violence.  i have yet to hear of a death caused by a fire extinguisher or burglar alarm, so your logic seems flawed here.  Gun ownership in  America is higher than other places around the globe, and not surprisingly so are deaths caused by guns.

the gun industry has carefully crafted a fear campaign that the kumbaya peeps are coming for your guns or Obama will send guys in black helicopters for them.  this has pushed gun indu$try profits thru the roof. People seriously argue they need a clip (magazine?) that holds more than 15 rounds (bullets?). 

I would be very encouraged by smart gun technology if it were not for the gun industry lobby that owns both sides of the aisle of the Congressional circus. as I understand smart gun technology, were a burglar to steal your guns, he (or she) cannot use them against you.

please don't assume too easily that you understand my way of thinking, unless you have taken the time to really hear me out.

KF7WRU

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »

The dirty dark truth about gun crime

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/03/blacks-guns-crime/

AC8ND

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2014, 03:03:18 AM »

first, you are too quick to jump to conclusions.  i am not against guns and do not play video games, and rarely do I watch movies.
i support laws that regulate driving -- but that does not mean i am against automobiles!!! 

30 people die everday in the USA from gun violence.  i have yet to hear of a death caused by a fire extinguisher or burglar alarm, so your logic seems flawed here.  Gun ownership in  America is higher than other places around the globe, and not surprisingly so are deaths caused by guns.

the gun industry has carefully crafted a fear campaign that the kumbaya peeps are coming for your guns or Obama will send guys in black helicopters for them.  this has pushed gun indu$try profits thru the roof. People seriously argue they need a clip (magazine?) that holds more than 15 rounds (bullets?). 

I would be very encouraged by smart gun technology if it were not for the gun industry lobby that owns both sides of the aisle of the Congressional circus. as I understand smart gun technology, were a burglar to steal your guns, he (or she) cannot use them against you.

please don't assume too easily that you understand my way of thinking, unless you have taken the time to really hear me out.

Death by fire extinguisher:
http://www.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/index.html?story=7522736

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2480467/Security-guard-beat-delegate-death-medical-conference-jailed.html

http://wreg.com/2012/09/06/millington-mother-says-she-murder-daughter-with-fire-extinguisher/

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Man-beaten-death-extinguisher/story-11260570-detail/story.html

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »

Been on this planet for 58 years, never owned a gun and still alive!

Must be a Canadian thing  Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2014, 05:37:41 AM »

Re: VE3FMC

I've been told that's because the RCMP and relevant local authorities actually enforce the law and the Canadian judicial system understands the meaning of punishment and confinement. No such luxuries here South of the border.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2014, 05:48:17 AM »

W1JKA,

You should look at some of the laughably short prison sentences handed out over here.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2014, 05:51:09 AM »

Been on this planet for 58 years, never owned a gun and still alive!

Must be a Canadian thing  Grin

No, its just being smart and aware of your surroundings. I have been sucking air on this big blue marble for 57 years and am also still alive! I do, however, own several firearms of different sizes and calibers but they are all used for sport.

I do not have a CCW permit nor do I intend to get one.

In over half a century, I have never been in a situation where I wished I had a firearm. Some of this is attributed to luck, but I would also like to think that it is because of conscious effort on my part not to go places where I think there is a better than average chance that I will need a firearm for my protection.

I have been on various firearm forums where it is almost as if some of the people who carry a concealed weapon come home and at the end of the day are disappointed that they did not find themselves in a situation where they needed to use their weapon.

Sad... very sad.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2014, 06:52:19 AM »

...30 people die everday in the USA from gun violence.  i have yet to hear of a death caused by a fire extinguisher or burglar alarm, so your logic seems flawed here.  Gun ownership in  America is higher than other places around the globe, and not surprisingly so are deaths caused by guns....

ACCIDENTAL deaths caused by guns may be higher here, in the US, but at the same time, states with less gun control measures show less crime than other states.  Chicago, with just about the tightest gun control in the nation show way more deaths by gun violence than anywhere else, simply because criminals know that they can use a gun without worrying that some law abiding citizen may have a gun and can stop them.

While your thought that the gun industry has crafted a fear campaign may have some truth in it, the opposite is also true.  People against guns have also crafted a much more effective fear campaign that guns are their own reason for all the deaths attributed to guns.  One thing that should be remembered is that guns are like tools--they do NOT pull their own trigger or go off by themselves for no reason.

For every gun crime, there is someone behind the gun pulling the trigger.  Another thing to consider:  Criminals don't obey the law--that's why they're criminals.  Gun controls and gun laws don't effect criminals because they don't obey the law.  All those laws do is tie the hands of law abiding citizens, and allow criminals the extra freedom to wreak havoc on society.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:20 AM »

30 people die everday in the USA from gun violence.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's 2013 Fatality Analysis Reporting System, 28 people die every day from drunk driving crashes. Why aren't we up in arms (no pun intended) about this but yet some people believe that we must enact stricter gun control laws? The only restriction on buying alcohol is that you must be 21. There is no background check. Convicted felons can buy alcohol. Criminally insane people can buy alcohol.

Because of the amount of time I spend in my car every day, I am much more afraid of being killed by a drunk driver than by gun violence.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »

What tickles the hell out of me is if today's gun control advocates had been around during the 1800s and decided to take a vacation or look for better job opportunities out to the Westard they would be singing a different tune now, even Matt and Wyatt couldn't spread themselves that thin. Not to mention earlier times when they too would have had their fill of Big Government (British) and got tired of paying a through the nose tax on tea. If your for gun control that's your right (earned for you with guns BTW) just keep your head buried in the sand and hope no one comes up and kicks you in the ass.

I think the closest thing that this has to do with ham radio is smoke and mirror signals.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:39:57 AM by W1JKA » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: