Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 12445 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »

Hello.

This is as a reminder, people have been killed trying to reach for (Usually) their phone.
I saw a guy get thrown on the ground for what cops thought "might" be a weapon, a VX-3r with a stubby antenna.
I see more of this in Texas. where concealed guns are legal, and the cops are not happy.
But, remember that a talkie may just look like a talkie to you, but cops freak out easy.
So, be careful.
Thank you.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »

I see more of this in Texas. where concealed guns are legal, and the cops are not happy.

Concealed guns are legal in 32 states.  Those who have CCW permits have been checked out by the county sheriff's department and are considered "upstanding citizens."  The cops ARE happy!  When pulled over for a traffic infraction and you hand them your drivers license and CCW permit, they become even more happy.

Cops are NEVER happy if you are approached by them and reach for ANYTHING that they can't see.

I feel your post is inappropriate here and I find your phraseology offensive.

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »

Hello.

Yes, COPS are "Never" happy when you reach for something they can not see.
In Texas, you do NOT need a permit for a gun in your car, home, or carrying in between.
And, yes, this is a touchy subject, but I would like to point out the dangers.
You do NOT need to be carrying a gun, but if the cop shoots you and it turns out to be a phone or talkie?
See the problem?
That is the point of this.
A person could have never owned a gun in his or her life, but have a dozen talkies.
What I am saying is simply to be careful.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

Hello.

This is as a reminder, people have been killed trying to reach for (Usually) their phone.
I saw a guy get thrown on the ground for what cops thought "might" be a weapon, a VX-3r with a stubby antenna.
But, remember that a talkie may just look like a talkie to you, but cops freak out easy.
So, be careful.
Thank you.

You may come across a cop that is 'trigger happy' to that extent, but they're few and far between.  Being careful is just being prudent.  If you reach for something, tell the cop what you're going after and ask if its alright.  Don't be surprised if you're watched closely--with the cop having his hand on the butt of his gun--after all, all too often THEY don't know what they're seeing.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »

decades ago, hustling news up in central North Dakota, a desk sergeant told me the one thing officers tense up on right away is not seeing where a driver's hands are going.

the few times I've been pulled over, ah, "testing the speedometer," I get my wallet, car manual/registration folder, etc. up on the dashboard right away, turn on the dome light, and nicely announce every move.  my latest wallet has the license and insurance on a handy little fold-over windowed pocket, so it's real easy to hand that over in one-handed movement.

any funny bulges, best to put them up on the dash, too.  if any of them happen to be a sidearm, I might suggest putting both palms on the outside of the car door, and opening it from the outside latch if you are asked to exit the vehicle.

most cops are careful but cool.  but you never know what the cop dealt with on his last call... and that affects more than the next 10 minutes.
WA8JNM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »

Thanks. I have never thought much about this. I just had my son read it also.
KF4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »

Hello.

You do NOT need to be carrying a gun....

Why is that?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:47:12 AM »

...You do NOT need to be carrying a gun, but if the cop shoots you and it turns out to be a phone or talkie?
See the problem?
That is the point of this....

The way the laws are now, if a cop shoots you and you're unarmed, that cop is in a lot of trouble unless you were committing a crime.  Or haven't you seen the news stories about people who were shot or even killed, and weren't carrying--but were suspicious?  One cop was even fired, charged and jailed for something like that.

It's only common sense to realize that cops...  1. Don't really know what they're getting into every time they either stop someone or respond to a disturbance,  2.  Have to be careful and protective of their own life for their sake and the sake of their families,  and 3.  Are just as human as the people they're sworn to protect--and the criminals they're sworn to apprehend.

Also, 'REQ is correct--if stopped, keep your hands in plain sight, and if it is hard to see--dusk and after thru to just before dawn--put on the interior car courtesy lights.  If a cop sees that you're cooperating and trying to make it easier for him/her, they're more likely to be easier on you, and may even give you a break if you've done something minor.  73!
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 06:17:01 AM »

I have made it a point to show my hands to the point of 'raising' them left hand out the window right hand in the air when pulled over by an officer.

Why anyone would reach for a HT, Mike, Phone, or anything else is beyond me.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 07:01:58 AM »

The advice of putting your handgun on the dash is not wise!!  You leave the handgun where it is.......and keep both hands in the clear where they can easily be seen.  When the officer asks for your drivers license and registration, you inform him that your are a CCW permit holder and you are armed.  Then ask him how he wants to proceed.

An alternate way is to have your drivers license and CCW permit together and out of your billfold before the officer reaches the car and with both hands visible hand them over.  Then ask him how he wants to proceed.

He will probably then ask you if your're armed and where the weapon is.  Never reach or point....just tell him.  At all times keep your hands on the steering wheel.

Strange as many here think, the officer, once he sees your CCW permit, will continue on with the reason for stop and not get all freaked out.  This gun permit thing isn't something new.  It has been gaining support from law enforcement for years.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 07:55:49 AM »

Hello.

You do NOT need to be carrying a gun...

I don't know what country you live in, but in the country I live in, the Constitution guarantees me the right to have one (or more!) and I am allowed to carry it as long as I follow the laws in my state.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »

In some states, there a "duty to inform" if one is carrying. In other states there is no duty to inform when carrying.

I have seen comments in the gun forums saying that leaving your weapon on the dash or on the seat is what you should do. But that appears to be the case in states where open carry is legal without a permit and you don't have a permit.

Carrying or not, permit or no permit. You get pulled over at night, put on the dome light.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:34:07 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

Hello.

In both incidences I am thinking of, no motor vehicle was involved.
In both incidences, no forearms were present.
One, a cop "heard" the person was a hacker, and decided to "check things out.
This was a county Reserve, almost a guarantee screwup, in the city.
I would give benefit of the doubt, but these people are nuts.
Anyhow, the suspect "might" be "printing" where the outline of a gun was showing.
The "gun" was a VX3r with a stubby antenna.
Another case was when the police went to the wrong address, daylight, and shot the homeowner.
Home surveillance cameras clearly show the homeowner with a cellphone in a black leather case.
Just do a search for 'Man shot by police with cellphone.'
It does happen, and although it is not all that frequent, the point being is that no weapons need be present.
And, cops are upset about things like this.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2008/11/cellphonegun.jpg
The new ones will "Switch on", light up, make all the right noises, but can not actually make calls, they have the sound module from a toy cellphone.
Again, I am not saying that cops are after hams, just to understand the potential danger, be aware and careful.
As far as automobiles go, this seems to be less of a problem.
And, it is not the person who has a firearm that needs to be informed, it is the person who does not, is not thinking of firearms, that is most at risk.
Hopefully this now makes sense.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

Before you key that transmitter, be sure you aren't really holding your pistol.  Nothing like shooting your mouth off!  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: