Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns and Ham radio.  (Read 17405 times)
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on the Internet.  Your characterization of people who carry self-defense handguns is not only grossly inaccurate, it is clear evidence you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

I know far more than you and have not drank the NRA kooliad and have shot them for over 40 years too. To carry a gun concealed with a 15 round clip and two extra mags is a extension of ego and little more and more and more gun accidents and violence will result. Every time a Democrat gets in office the NRA plants fear to boost sales and profits. There is no competency test to see if you are fit too either. It is do right scarey seeing some of the people buying guns to carry. To suggest this right is needed for masses is stupid and only benefits those selling them. It has created designer gun that have no real sporting purpose otherwise and are deadly toys.  It is a ticking time bomb and anyone to suggest otherwise is really denying reality.

How is this related to radio? Well they relaxed radio rules to promote sales and profits and same with guns.

The founders created the 2nd amendment just in case of people thinking the above.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »

Re: N0SYA

They also created it because they fore saw a time when the citizens would not be able to hold  the Federal Government in check by the vote alone.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »

Re: N0SYA

They also created it because they fore saw a time when the citizens would not be able to hold  the Federal Government in check by the vote alone.

it was also because the huge military (and military industrial complex) we have today was absent back then and the founders considered a well-regulated militia was necessary for national security. 
it seems to me that was why they did not want government to interfere with the right of people to bear arms (single-shot muskets was the modern technology at the time).

Quote from: As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, then-Secretary of State

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

i suppose a more liberal reading of the 2nd amendment would grant people the right to own nuclear weapons , but i have yet to hear anyone take that stance yet. 
even 74% of NRA members say concealed carry permits should be restricted to individuals who have completed a safety training course and are 21 and older.

as an aside -- legal or not, i fear we are not far off from when people start homebrewing their own drones...
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »

Hello.

First off, the very first drones were home built.
Prior to world war 2, experiments with radio controlled aircraft were going on.
You can legally build your own kit gun.
But, this is Texas, and carrying firearms has always been common.
Prior to LBJ and "The Great Society" experiment, Texas only had very limited gun laws.
In 1968, the Gun Control act was passed, pushed by US gun manufacturers.
At issue were the cheap imported "Saturday Nigh Specials" that were eroding sales.
Oddly enough, most Saturday Night Specials were made in the US.
I carried the HT-220, a huge radio by today's standards, and would never be confused with a gun,  it was way bigger!
Prior to that I had an HT-200, even bigger!
Prior to that, a PRC-10, even bigger!
But, guns were not a problem.
Now, all of a sudden, we have a gun problem, and cops are shooting people who have only cellphones.
I never intended this a gun debate but to address the dangers.
Thank you.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:13 AM »

In the US paranoid psychotic surveillance society, everything is a bomb and anyone is a terrorist.
God bless the war on a specific emotion, long may it last, or some other emotion take its place.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »

i fear we are not far off from when people start homebrewing their own drones...

You're not serious!  People in this country have been building drones ever since the advent of miniature cameras and especially since the miniaturization of video cameras and transmitters!

Fortunately, it really hasn't become a problem nor are these hobbyists interested in surveillance of any kind.  Some babe sun bathing in the nude excepted.   Tongue   
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »

Not to mention how easy it is to bring down or put out commission an annoying drone anyway with anything from a helium filled party balloon while holding an attached long length of fishing line monofilament to it, signal mirror, laser pen or shotgun. I'm referring to the 4 motor horizontal mounted prop type drones of pizza and Amazon delivery fame.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:12:25 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KF5VPK

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »

I think the biggest problems the anti-guns folks have is they want to hold an inanimate object responsible for the actions of a criminal.

What they should be worrying about are the actions of criminals.

As for home made drones, before and after WW2 there were several companies working on adding wings and a motor to the typical family car. Several items did exist, flyable aircraft-cars.

Italy, 1949:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNp_iO-2Jfg

Spain, 1930s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PphEkquEpUI

or the US military flying platform:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVIzyWO1HE

AC8ND

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »

This is not the wild west but many think it is and carry concelled to feel big or for a buzz or because of insecurities. Many can not hit a barn door at 25 yards and more and carrry goobs of ammo hoping for a hit in the spray. Your wits keep you alive and out of trouble not a 15 round clip.. BTW been using handgun for about 40 years and when I carry in in wilds it is in plain sight.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever read on the Internet.  Your characterization of people who carry self-defense handguns is not only grossly inaccurate, it is clear evidence you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

I know far more than you and have not drank the NRA kooliad and have shot them for over 40 years too. To carry a gun concealed with a 15 round clip and two extra mags is a extension of ego and little more and more and more gun accidents and violence will result. Every time a Democrat gets in office the NRA plants fear to boost sales and profits. There is no competency test to see if you are fit too either. It is do right scarey seeing some of the people buying guns to carry. To suggest this right is needed for masses is stupid and only benefits those selling them. It has created designer gun that have no real sporting purpose otherwise and are deadly toys.  It is a ticking time bomb and anyone to suggest otherwise is really denying reality.

How is this related to radio? Well they relaxed radio rules to promote sales and profits and same with guns.

We should listen to you as an expert?
You don't even know the difference between a clip and a magazine.
Most of my guns have magazines. Some of my guns do not have magazines.
None of my guns have clips though I would like an M1 Garand.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:23 AM »

Hello.

Walk into any store and ask where the batteries are and they will direct you to a shelf filled with cells.
A flashlight may hold one battery or several.
But one call is not a battery.
Texas has a regulation that says having a clip with bullets in it is a loaded firearm.
OK, perhaps a magazine with rounds might be more of a problem, but everyone understands what is intended,
Like it or not, clip and magazine are all but interchangeable.
One new cop got in an argument with a witness on the stand arguing a "Gun" was a sex organ, it was a weapon.
He went to jail for contempt of court.
It is like restroom vs bathroom, sure, you can not actually take a bath in most public restrooms.
But, who really cares?
It is like the penlight with one battery.
I has only one cell, and it is not a pen, the only part that is right is that it is a light.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »

We should listen to you as an expert?
You don't even know the difference between a clip and a magazine.
Most of my guns have magazines. Some of my guns do not have magazines.
None of my guns have clips though I would like an M1 Garand.

JX is an expert on everything, just like PIU. Just ask them, they will tell you that! Bring up any subject...they will tell you anything but true facts. And tell any people that respond their post is just BS when it calls them out. Cause they are the experts on everything!

Personally I look at it as a choice. You can have a gun, or not. I don't demand you have one, so don't demand I don't have one. There is no argument if you just make your choice and keep your mouth shut. The constitution has spoken that it is OK to choose. What is left to argue about?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »

Re: KA5PIU  reply #84

Just a question of semantics would have been sufficient.
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »

Personally I look at it as a choice. You can have a gun, or not. I don't demand you have one, so don't demand I don't have one. There is no argument if you just make your choice and keep your mouth shut. The constitution has spoken that it is OK to choose. What is left to argue about?

The first reasonable thing posted in this whole thread....
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »

The reason magazine and clip have become interchangeable is because so many don't know the difference. Sort of default to lowest denominator. Same with cartridge and caliber.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »

The reason magazine and clip have become interchangeable is because so many don't know the difference. Sort of default to lowest denominator. Same with cartridge and caliber.

Hello.

Most people simply do not care.
Again, it is like battery and cell.
Dot com vs period com.
Most people will ask if you are a female if you were to say eham period net.
And, yes, want a gun, run out and buy one.
The whole point of this thread was to make people aware of what cops are thinking, and think before any moves around them.
As a rule, I stay away from cops, not that I am doing anything wrong, but that I have nothing in common.
The same is with the criminal element, they do their thing, I stay away.
I am happy playing with radio.
I think some cellphones are neat as well, they are now full scale computers with an RF section.
Amateur Radio is a hobby, nothing more.
CB radio and GMRS can be a hobby as well.
Guns are a hobby of others.
Enjoy your hobby, whatever that may be.
Just be careful!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: