Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 29231 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »

...Win 8 has sold over 200 Million licenses. If as a lot of people are saying, it's not wanted, that's a lot of licenses. Yes it's a bit behind Win 7 in says for the same time frame, but I doubt it's as big of a flop as people think.  

The ONLY reason that that many licenses have been sold is that they've been 'force sold.'  People buy a new computer from a supplier--and it comes with Win 8 installed.  That counts as a license 'sale' as it is, but what about the number of people who have either dumped that version and installed an earlier one that they already have--or whom have gone out and bought an earlier version of Windows to reinstall on that new computer?

Counting license sales isn't a good indicator of popularity for forced sales items.  A better one would be to see how many of the older systems have sold since the newer system was introduced--if it were possible, then do some figuring of that number versus the number of new license 'sales' done.

An even better one--how many of the new stand alone OS packages have been sold?  That is the OS package alone without hardware.  Compare that to the number of Win 7 packages sold during the same period.  Win 7, though it costs more, is still outselling Win 8 AND Win 8.1, hands down!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »

Of course not, you can't do anything with 8 that you couldn't do with XP.

there is a lot of software that used to run on XP, - that won't run under win_8.
- M$O 2003 is just one, & there are others, as XP had a simply huge software list.

I guess we should go back to MS DOS?  As I have said before XP supported sloppy 16/32bit code and 8 does not. As far as MS Office 2003, the reason it does not run is it is blocked because it is not secure and stopped getting updates long ago. Myself I like moving forward and not clinging to outdated software and hardware.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »

corporations with a zillion-seat license for Windows have the option to downgrade using the current license on new PCs.  so that's a sale of, maybe, 3 pallets of Windows 8.  the machines end up running Windows 7.  Microsoft claims Windows 8 licenses were sold.

those license-sale numbers are pretty bogus.  the companies could run legally WFW 3.1 for all Microsoft cares, until they get a support call from IT.  it's still a Win8 license.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »

Why bother with computers . . . Let's just go back to all paper logging etc.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »

I guess we should go back to MS DOS? 

In some cases, the answer is yes. Some of the LMR radios sold on ebay require DOS for their programming software to work. The software for the Icom M710 (to open the radio to all the ham bands) requires DOS. And in both cases require serial ports. I am sure there are other examples as well. This is why it pays to keep computers with older operating systems around the ham shack.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »

That's the downhill slope. A company makes a radio and writes a configuration program that runs on the then latest version of DOS. MS comes along and discontinues selling DOS. The radio company is no longer selling that radio so they aren't going to invest the time and money to write a configuration program for a current operating system. The looser is the customer who has a perfectly good radio but no way to program it. Everything becomes a throw-away. That's pretty much the cost of technology.

AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

I guess I am one of the fools that happen to like Windows 8.1 it is SOOOOOOOOO much better than XP or 7 ever was. I have yet to have that dreaded BSOD that was most frequent with XP and somewhat less with 7. I just bought a Dell venue 8 pro tablet that runs a full version of 8.1 so I can access my home computer and do a little digital mode work while at work on my lunch break. I tried Linux for a short time but that is for people who like to tinker with the software some and there is not as much software for it as with windows and Apple is for rich folks who can throw their money away on software that there is not as much of for ham applications. And as far as the tablet market goes Apple is falling off it's high horse rapidly.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »

there is a lot of software that used to run on XP, - that won't run under win_8.
- M$O 2003 is just one, & there are others, as XP had a simply huge software list.

I guess we should go back to MS DOS?  As I have said before XP supported sloppy 16/32bit code and 8 does not. As far as MS Office 2003, the reason it does not run is it is blocked because it is not secure and stopped getting updates long ago. Myself I like moving forward and not clinging to outdated software and hardware.

MS-DOS 5 was great. Version 6 ....not so much
Office is secure as long as you don't open strange documents from strange people.
You waste less time this way anyway.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2014, 04:06:45 AM »

Office is secure as long as you don't open strange documents from strange people.

Office 2003 is best retired. It was not very secure and there a lot of Office documents in public domain and some could be tainted.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

Office 2003 is best retired. It was not very secure and there a lot of Office documents in public domain and some could be tainted.

It's kinda like meeting people. You shake their hands and god knows where they have been and if they washed them. And yet it happens everyday. for the last few hundred years at least and we still don't live in personal bubbles to avoid contamination.

As for those documents that "could" be tainted. Sure they could and when someone figures out how to "tain" Office 2014 or Office 2019 documents. they will "retire" those as well. Instead of slapping MS upside the head for allowing .vbs files to be a) discguised by maining the interface "more friendly" by hiding extensions, and B) executed without warning from the old version of Outlook or word. or Excel .
But saying the old version is "best retired" because of the "possible tainted public domain documents" smells just as bad as it sounds.

I've always run it with scripts disabled only because it didn't want "something" happening I didn't know about whether it was "malicious" or not.

I 'm not that concerned about office 2003, since my Office 97 still runs fine on my XP machine Smiley
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »

Hello.

And, that is the point.
If Micro$oft were in charge when I was growing up, I would have never touched a typewriter!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »

As for those documents that "could" be tainted. Sure they could and when someone figures out how to "tain" Office 2014 or Office 2019 documents. they will "retire" those as well. Instead of slapping MS upside the head for allowing .vbs files to be a) discguised by maining the interface "more friendly" by hiding extensions, and B) executed without warning from the old version of Outlook or word. or Excel .
But saying the old version is "best retired" because of the "possible tainted public domain documents" smells just as bad as it sounds.

You miss the point totally. During Office 97 and 2003 hey day security was not a concern. Starting with 2007 they made it more secure and added a LOT more features. They changed file format too. I like the extra whistles and bells on 2007 and 2010 especially in Outlook. Your are pretty naive if you think tainted documents is a idle threat. I have seen it happen and its not pretty.

I've always run it with scripts disabled only because it didn't want "something" happening I didn't know about whether it was "malicious" or not.

Again very naive if you think it is that easy to be safe with a old OS. 

I 'm not that concerned about office 2003, since my Office 97 still runs fine on my XP machine Smiley

Man you are in stone age.

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »

Meh: Iron Age:

still dual_boot win3.1 & win98se
- not kidding - it's a 486 DX100 w/ 32mb ram. ..
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

Meh: Iron Age:

still dual_boot win3.1 & win98se
- not kidding - it's a 486 DX100 w/ 32mb ram. ..

What do you run on it?

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »

Times have changed. Maybe you should look for a commodore 64 at swap meets. 

10 PRINT: "The Atari 800 has better graphics and the cassette drive is a better transition from reel than 5 1/4 floppy - how are people going to figure out which way that sucker goes in?"
20 END
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: