Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Talkie.  (Read 12233 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:26:01 AM »

Hello.

Almost everyone has at least one, a lot of hams started with one.
What is your all time favorite Talkie?
I really like the IC-32AT.
That was the first dual band talkie for hams.
But, what stands out as being your favorite?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 03:42:49 AM »

Hello.

Almost everyone has at least one, a lot of hams started with one.
What is your all time favorite Talkie?
I really like the IC-32AT.
That was the first dual band talkie for hams.
But, what stands out as being your favorite?

My first HT was the Radio Shack HTX 202 . I used it as a portable HT, a mobile HT as well as a base HT along with the HTA 20 Two Meter Amp also sold by Radio Shack. I like the simplicity of it, the intermod rejection and overall reliability. Although I have had other HT's since then, it remains my favorite.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:25 AM »

Hello.

The HTX-202 was not bad, but I never actually owned one.
As a rule, mono band rigs with a limited tuning range do far better than others for intermod rejection.
The IC-32 w,as not bad, but no HT-220.
The HT-220 was THE radio all others were judged by.
With a set of NiMH AA cells, an HT-220 can stay on for 3 or 4 days, on an active 2 meter channel.
The MT-500, with battery saver, can double that, and work with a "Convert-a-Com", that drop in mobile charger/external mic and speaker adapter.
In Austin, the PD went to UHF, so the things showed up surplus.
They also had a few PT-90 talkies that accepted a mobile adapter.
I used a PT-90 adapter with the IC-32.
I did not want more than one radio in the car at one time, geek was not cool in that era, even though there was no question, I was a geek!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »

The Icom IC-2AT was my hamfest rig for years (decades, actually)... I could not kill that thing. It was always reliable, I just popped in new Alkalines every now and then. I love the thumb wheel frequency change. I think I need to pop mine open though.. it's getting some sort of intermittent connection. Since I don't use an HT too often its not high on the priority list. It still works!

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »

The RS HTX 202 was a good HT and you can sometimes find them at a reasonable cost.  About the only way you could kill them was to really abuse them.  The IC-2AT were about the same, though you'll be a bit pressed to find one at a reasonable cost--they're liked too much and their owners tend to hang onto them just about forever.

Another Icom offering, the IC-T7H and the IC-T7H sport were almost as good.  Sturdy, built to last--and dual band to boot (although you could only actively monitor one band at a time) they are still available, but not being manufactured anymore.  The difference was the T7H were shipped with a rechargeable battery while the 'sport' model was shipped with an AA case for power.  Either could be changed in less than a minute by simply swapping the battery pack.

I like mine since the only thing I've had to replace was the PTT switch, a microswitch that had let go from use.  Other than that, it's been going strong for well over a decade now.  73.
KF4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »

My Sears model (I can't remember it) that I got for Christmas CB 100 MW Walkie-Talkie back in 1965... on channel 11. Grin Grin Grin

I had so much fun with it.  I was the terror to all CB'ers in my little town.  Anyone that landed on Channel 11 (after school hours) would get a call.

Talked with a station 20 miles away one time.  QRP Part 15!

My call was Walkie-Talkie KO1.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »

Baofeng UV5r

(Duck and cover)  Grin
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »

Hello.

If you like the Beofeng, that is fine.
I remember the Radio Shack Archer talkies, almost as cheap as you could buy.
All the way up to the GE PE talkie.
They moved cheap talkies from CB channel 11 to 49 MHz.
The cheap talkies were AM, low band GE talkies FM.
And, GE low band talkies were almost always 'Mid Split', 40 to 48 MHz.
Police went from Low Band to High Band or UHF in that era.
Mid Split was all but useless, no 10 meters or 6 meters!
But, cut a turn here and cut a turn there, and 49 to 55 MHz.
And, 49 MHz was also popular with cordless phones.
49.86 and 52.525 MHz
CPU controlled radios were not going to happen for at least 20 more years.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »

Baofeng UV5r

(Duck and cover)  Grin

If Baofeng was around in 1992, I probably would have bought that instead of the HTX 202.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »

I know I am probably a rarity, but I have never owned a HTX-202.  My favorite HT would probably be the Yaesu VX7R.  The Baofeng UV-3R I currently use is probably the best deal on HTs.

John AF5CC
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »

Hello.

I have never owned an HTX-202.
This was made by Maxon for Radio Shack.
Radio Shack insisted that this radio could not be modded.
This is a Maxon built copy of the IC-02.
So, I got the IC-32AT and was done with it.
The batteries will interchange, both the external slide-on and the internal.
My IC-32AT had a problem with the finals so it now has more up to date transistors, and can do up to 25+watts on VHF on external power.
It is a radio with 2 actual RF sections and can be made to simulcast, transmit on 2 frequencies at the same time.
This means having VHF and UHF data addressed at the same time.
But, this was a fantastic test tool!
I would use it to test industrial and commercial radio systems.

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:26:15 AM »

Icom IC32W

This was/is my hands down favorite. Tough as a brick, easy to use, and very capable.

I have replaced it with the Yaesu FT1D to get narrow band FM transmit and APRS. Hand to go that high up the line to get true dual receive and the like. Given time the FT1D may  become my new favorite.

The biggest fault I have found with the IC32W and my old Icom mobile FM rigs has been that they are way to sensitive on receive. Can hear so many repeaters and simplex users full quieting without being able to reach that it is frustrating.

KF7CG
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »

I recently sold or gave away all my other HT's and now use only the 2 alinco's that give you 5 bands with onnly 2 HT's.  good stuff.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »

my favorite is my little FT-60r. good little radio.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

I have 6, but I think my favorite is the Kenwood TH-F6A. All of my HTs have something going for them, but this one is the simplest and most intuitive to operate.

When I was a kid, we had a couple of sets of walkie-talkies at different times. The "DeLuxe" set had a Morse code key, which, for two kids who had to read the front of the unit to find what letter the other one sent, was nowhere near 5WPM. It was 1WPM if we were lucky. It didn't take too long to lose interest in that feature. Smiley

The other pair was an Archer set, from Radio Shack. Basic, but functional.

I also had a Realistic 23 channel CB HT, and currently, have a Midland 40 channel CB HT. I didn't count that in the 6 above, because I forgot, and I don't use it much anyway.

-- Tom
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: