Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Talkie.  (Read 13815 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »

Icom IC32W

This was/is my hands down favorite. Tough as a brick, easy to use, and very capable.

I have replaced it with the Yaesu FT1D to get narrow band FM transmit and APRS. Hand to go that high up the line to get true dual receive and the like. Given time the FT1D may  become my new favorite.

The biggest fault I have found with the IC32W and my old Icom mobile FM rigs has been that they are way to sensitive on receive. Can hear so many repeaters and simplex users full quieting without being able to reach that it is frustrating.

KF7CG
The IC-32x has 2 fantastic receivers.
A major mod is needed for dual receive, but it can be done.
In mine the VHF final module had died so I replaced it, and transmit diodes etc.
Put it on external power and 1, 10 and 25 watts.
Now, 136 to 299 and 300 to 599 MHz, transmit and receive.
Replaced all the caps directly in the DC circuits, rated for 25 volts, added linear regulators where needed.
15 volts is now the ideal external voltage.
On battery power it is a more manageable 10 watts max.
The way this is done is to separate the DC input on top from the rest of the radio.
It still gets 12 volts to everywhere needed but can apply 15 volts directly to the finals.
The IC-32x (AT) is large enough to where it can be upgraded.
Modern SMD allows for several additions.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »

uv3R MKII

Handy and unobtrusive. Oh and cheap.

73, JP, K8AG
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 11:47:58 AM »

GE M-PA.  I have one in VHF and one in UHF.  Only downside is expensive batteries.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »

The first one ever made, The Jazz Singer.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »

I was always partial to dad's IC-2SRA, 2 antennas meant twice the fun:

http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/images/04-2012/IC-2SR_publicgfd-1.jpg
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »

The IC2 has the advantage that you don't need the manual to be able to drive it. The FT250 certainly does....
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »

The IC2 has the advantage that you don't need the manual to be able to drive it.

A reason I like my Icom u2AT.  Easy up=down buttons.  Only real problem is that PL is not easy to set, no memory to store the different settings per repeater pair. 
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »

The IC2 has the advantage that you don't need the manual to be able to drive it. The FT250 certainly does....

You know it is time for a new hobby when you start complaining that your Icom 2AT is too difficult to program.

73 John AF5CC
N8LTD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 11:03:31 PM »

My fav was my first one-Kenwood TH-79a. When I got it new in 1995(that's also when I got my first ham license), I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. It died a few years ago so the Kenwood TH-F6a replaced it, and I still have the F6a.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »

GE MP-A  also, 144 MHZ, 220MHZ, 440MHZ AND 900 MHZ MODELS all with hamflashed firmware.
They can't be beat with simple direct entry of frequency, ctcss, alpha numeric tags , auto repeater offsets, CW id,vfo scanning and  64 CHANNEL  fast memory channel scan.

K4JJL,

Batteries are easily replaced by cracking old ones open by freezing in a fridge and hitting the dead battery with a rubber mallet.
For pre-assembled cells go to the following web page.

http://www.all-battery.com/72vnimhnicdbatterypackseries.aspx

there are lots of ready made pre-assembled packs available to re-cell hard to find batteries at all-battery.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 03:33:59 AM »

Hello.

Hamflashed, or open sourced, that is the way to go!
Direct frequency entry is the big plus.
In the case of Motorola radios, this complex flashcode gets replaced by modules.
When the radio is read and "explored", all of the hardware is listed, and what it can do.
The basic Motorola patents for its trunking format have expired, including iDen, so you can do pretty much anything you want.
Commercial radios are SO much better!
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 04:10:27 AM »

Bendix King EPH series. Heavy, but bullet proof. Also does narrow banding to monitor local govt comms channels properly. One of the most rugged built radios I have seen. But then the US govt paid dearly for that feature. I got a pile of them surplus from the US Forest Service.
N1NQC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

Hey All,

Had two prior  2AT's , still have my third.It's now  "Mickey Mouse" strapped to a pine board w/ D cell  holders . Can low voltage tap for   REAL QRP. I used it on a pair  of rabbit ears  for hill topping   in the early day's  of hamming. LOTS of fun and bullet proof.

Loved my FT 60,but after many years  of use it finally  gave up the ghost.Almost bought another but they are now Chinese made . Got an Allstinko DJ V57 instead. It's "OK", but I miss my '60.

Had a 202 , gave it to a buddy.

Had lots  of kiddie and "pro"  CB HT's ,FRS/GMRS and commercial ( Sabre's, etc). Many/most gone  now.

I use HT's VERY infrequently  now, maybe for the OCCASIONAL car to car "convey  control".

K
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »

It WAS an Alinco I had 20+ years ago. Forgot the model number.

Now it's the Motorola XPR7550. I have no criticism of it at all.
Also have Icom 92AD. Nice, but no you don't get a decent indication of battery time remaining, or a better/bigger battery option. I'll keep it around for D-STAR.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »

Loved my FT 60,but after many years  of use it finally  gave up the ghost.Almost bought another but they are now Chinese made . Got an Allstinko DJ V57 instead. It's "OK", but I miss my '60.

I just looked at the label in my FT60R.  It says made in Japan.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: