Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood 940S  (Read 2897 times)
WI8P

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »

Last year I picked up a Kenwood TS-940S. An oldie for sure but in good condition. I see where I can get a board for it that will allow it to interface with my computer, though it will have to go through a serial port to usb conversion since I don't think you can even buy computers with serial ports anymore.  Anyway, my question is why?  I know additional software is required, but what functions would this allow me to control via the computer? Is it worth the $90 plus software?
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »

I believe you are talking about the interface board from PIEX. I installed one in my 940 a few years back and it worked perfectly. I use Logger32 as my logging program but most any logging program will allow you to control the radio in order to change bands, modes, frequency etc. The logging program will also read and display the frequency from the radio and enter it along with other information into the logging program when entering a QSO. If you are connected to a cluster within your logging program you can click on spots to set the rig to the freq and mode being spotted.
I had been off the air for 15 years and adding the board to my 940 made it like a new rig to me. Had a lot of fun with it before I sold it a few years back and upgraded the station.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:51:28 AM »

The 940 was a very fine rig in its day and arguably one of Kenwoods best but not a good choice for remote control world. Kenwood radios of 90's starting with 570 and later are much better in this regard out of the box. They also support a much faster data interface speeds for quicker control and more functions to control. Again 940 is a fine rig but getting long in tooth and parts harder to find too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »

Thanks to both for the replies!  Yes, I would like to get a new radio (I should have been kicked out of Dayton for drooling in the Kenwood exhibit!), but at this point, it's way down on my money priority list due to the recent purchase of a new 5th wheel and dually to pull it with.   

Yes, the OIEX unit is the one I'm looking at.  Changing bands, modes and frequencies was exactly what I was wondering whether it would do or not.  Since it will, looks like my next purchase!

Thanks again!
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

Had one in my 940. Works great for logging, DX cluster etc. You can still buy PCI cards that have serial ports. No brainer.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 04:15:50 PM »

Had one in my 940. Works great for logging, DX cluster etc. You can still buy PCI cards that have serial ports. No brainer.

If you have a place to put one.   Grin
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »

If you have a place to put one.   Grin

Or a USB to serial adapter is an option. If you don't have a PCI or pci-E card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: