About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV CB  (Read 636 times)
KF7ITG

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »

I own a 36 foot RV that is 12 foot 3 inches in hight. It has a sturdy roof constructed of fiberglass over 5/8 inch plywood which is supported by a 3/4 inch square tube frame. I have an Icom 7000 and an AH-4 tuner with several antenna options I use when parked. What I would like to incorporate is a Citizen Band radio to use for local traffic conditions while moving. My problem is as always the antenna because of my hight. Overpasses in cities can be as low as 13 feet 6 inches and interstate overpasses are 16 feet 6 inches. So a roof mounted vertical would be extremely short and a side mount could be longer but still not much of the antenna would be above the roof. Both of these antennas would only be half of an antenna, no counterpoise. Another option I am considering and would like to hear some thoughts on is using two 102 inch SS whips mounted length ways on the roof raised 4 to 6 inches in a dipole fashion. Huh??

Thanks for your thoughts
James, 73
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »

Do like everyone else, and mount the antenna on the mirror bracket. Certain not ideal, but good enough.

KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »

It's not a Kenworth truck. The mirrors are one piece cast metal with untold number of motors and wiring for remote adjustment and heating elements to keep the mirrors clear. So I'm not sure how I would mount something to this type of mirror. I've sure never seen anything mounted to this type of RV mirror but if you can point me in the right direction to what you have seen I would at least consider a mirror mount. If I were to drill into the single support arm for the mirror and hit anything it would most likely cost five grand to get it repaired. ;-) These things aren't as simple as a Ford F250 or a Freightliner tractor. Thanks for your help.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »

It's not a Kenworth truck.

Does it have any kind of a "nose" at all where something like an automotive AM/FM style CB antenna might be installed?  What about windshield or panel trim/framing for attachment?  Are the sides fiberglass like the roof?

Consider too that using a compliant antenna (whip/spring antenna) that extends beyond the roofline can be a possibility.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »

If I were to drill into the single support arm for the mirror and hit anything it would most likely cost five grand to get it repaired. ;-) These things aren't as simple as a Ford F250 or a Freightliner tractor. Thanks for your help.

My bigger concern is strength of mirror and mount will not take strain of it. If you go through wall or roof for a mount I would not worry about frame but rather I would place a stiffer plate on each side of wall/roof and I would put silicone sealant under plate on outside.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »

It's not a Kenworth truck. The mirrors are one piece cast metal with untold number of motors and wiring for remote adjustment and heating elements to keep the mirrors clear. These things aren't as simple as a Ford F250 or a Freightliner tractor. Thanks for your help.

They're exactly the same kind of mirrors that are on pretty much all 18 wheelers here in Europe that I've driven for the last 20 years. Hell, even my 2010 Ford Mondeo (Taurus) has them. They're not that expensive. Two motors, a bulb or heating element and 4 wires is what is in them. I can get a replacement for my car for maybe £100-£150 and the haulage companies don't seem to get too bothered when you break one so ones for trucks can't be that expensive.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:45:27 AM »

I'd start at a truck stop. The ones I've pulled into have had a million different types of CB antennae and mounts.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »

Go to a truck stop and buy a regular mirror mount.  Throw away the u-bolts and just bolt the angle part w/ antenna stud to the side of your RV.  If you are still worried the antenna might be too high, just get a different antenna.  I have a CB antenna for my van that is only 2 ft tall so I can get in my garage.

Mike
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:49:43 AM »

My MH has a chrome handle behind the door , mounted vertically  to assist in  climbing in.
(drivers door)  ...  Mounted short  cb antenna on to of it.  you only need  1 mile or less range.
Handle is about 2 feet long so a fair to middlin'     counter poise..
you could glue a wire  from  the bottom  down to the  base of the  RV to  add  counter poise.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:06:55 AM »

I own a 36 foot RV that is 12 foot 3 inches in hight. It has a sturdy roof constructed of fiberglass over 5/8 inch plywood which is supported by a 3/4 inch square tube frame. I have an Icom 7000 and an AH-4 tuner with several antenna options I use when parked. What I would like to incorporate is a Citizen Band radio to use for local traffic conditions while moving. My problem is as always the antenna because of my hight. Overpasses in cities can be as low as 13 feet 6 inches and interstate overpasses are 16 feet 6 inches. So a roof mounted vertical would be extremely short and a side mount could be longer but still not much of the antenna would be above the roof. Both of these antennas would only be half of an antenna, no counterpoise. Another option I am considering and would like to hear some thoughts on is using two 102 inch SS whips mounted length ways on the roof raised 4 to 6 inches in a dipole fashion. Huh??

Thanks for your thoughts
James, 73

Maybe you can go with a bumper mount antenna on the back of the RV. That would work if you have a steel bumper. I do not know what you would do if it is one of those vehicles that are covered with fiberglass and does not have a flat, solid surface to mount to.

Another option would be to get a trailer hitch type antenna mount. Many RV's have a receiver type trailer hitch. There are antenna mounts that work for that as well.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:09:40 AM »

Can you install a couple insulators on the roof and make a dipole a few inches above the roof? Your rig is long enough for a half wave dipole.

It won't be pretty but it'd let ya talk a few miles which is all you should do on CB anyways.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: