The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile for Toyota Prius  (Read 3221 times)
REMOVED_ACCOUNT_2015-01-09

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

Hello.
Looking at installing hf mobile into a Prius which is a hybrid. Any Prius owner's have any issues with hf in this vehicle?

john
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »

You're in for a rude awakening!

No matter the year, the digital signature of the Synergy drive is overwhelming. It is even enough to open a tight squelch on most inexpensive VHF transceivers.

Here is the guy you want to talk to: John Pavelich, VE3XKD. I have his email address, but I won't post it on line. If you want it, send me an email. My email address is on my web site.

REMOVED_ACCOUNT_2015-01-09

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »

Ham radio was an afterthought purchasing the Prius. I would certainly do it again. Great running car and the 48-52 MPG allows more money for ham gear.  Smiley Base gear!

You're in for a rude awakening!

No matter the year, the digital signature of the Synergy drive is overwhelming. It is even enough to open a tight squelch on most inexpensive VHF transceivers.

Here is the guy you want to talk to: John Pavelich, VE3XKD. I have his email address, but I won't post it on line. If you want it, send me an email. My email address is on my web site.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »

Ham radio was an afterthought purchasing the Prius. I would certainly do it again. Great running car and the 48-52 MPG allows more money for ham gear.  Smiley Base gear!

That Synergy Drive is a interesting concept. There is no transmission, only a planetary coupling engine to final drive and the ratio and direction (forward/neutral/reverse) is controlled by 2 electric motors. Very unique. Word is Toyota is finally going to a lithium battery on 2015 model which was delayed at last minute to switch from nickel cadmium it was first designed to use.  It took extra time for battery and electronics changes for it.

Our Chevy volt seems to put out enough RFI charging that the FOB for our Saturn will not work well unless it is several feet from Volt. I will have to take a HT in Volt sometime and see how it sounds.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new technology and change with it or cling tightly to old technology and fall further behind everyday....
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »

I just installed a Kenwood 2/70 in my Prius and works fine.  I know its not HF but it is at least something.
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »

We own a 2011 Prius, and I've had a Yaesu 7900 in it for about 3 years.  I used a mag mount for about a year before I got brave enough to pop a hole in the roof for a permanent NMO mount.  The 1/4 wave dual band whip actually looks really nice on the sloped roof  Cool.  I've never had any problems with the electronics of the car interfering with the VHF either.  I sure like the car, and have no regrets.  When people at the gas pump ask me what kind of mileage it gets, I just reply that I'm not actually putting fuel in the car, but rather it is so efficient I have to stop once and a while and let the pump siphon out some gas!  Enjoy!

Wane - KB7FSC
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »

I drive a 2010 Prius. 
Running VHF/UHF mobile with a mag mount, I have no problem.
No personal experience (and not much interest) with HF mobile.
Toyota made the radio installation easy. 
With the 12 volt accessory battery in the back, there is no need to run a pair of #12 or #10 power wires the length of the vehicle. 
I stashed the radio body under the rear cargo deck, maybe 2 feet from the battery and tucked the antenna cable under the trim.
There does not appear to be any current monitoring at least in the negative battery lead,  it goes straight to the chassis.
WB2EOD
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »

Hello All -
 Just my own experience. I was parked up in the Marin Headlands  north of San Francisco back in 2007 and I had my HF rig tuned to 20 meters. Everything was fine until I noticed a growing form of strange QRM. It pretty much swamped the signals and sounded like something I had never heard on the air before.
 As I looked up a Prius pulled in and parked about 15 feet in front of me. I couldn't imagine that all of this QRM was coming from that car even though I knew that it's circuitry was different. Then the driver turned the ignition key off, the rear lights went out and the QRM disappeared. I have since heard that later models have improved on this problem but I haven't been near a Prius for many years with an HF rig to see if its true. As for me, I ended up buying a Geo Metro in 2000 and have no problems with HF mobile QRM. Of course, the reason for that is that my way of mobiling is to park somewhere and set up a larger than usual screwdriver antenna (a High-Q with extra long whip) and enjoy the contacts without worrying about driving hazards. Good luck with any possible HF mobiling that you decide to do.

Bruce  K6RQR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: