Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest and Greatest.  (Read 22343 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:02:16 AM »

Hello.

The tech industry lags behind about 3/4 years, that is to say the latest CPU was started a few years back.
The same is with video game consoles.
So,one thing that did happen with the global economic meltdown is the scaling back.
It was the latest laptop was where it was at.
Now, the hip generation does it all on phones with tablets picking up.
So, here is the question.
We know what happened and why.
But do you think this is a permanent change?
Is the era of the super laptop going to go way of the 8 track and 45 record?
Or, do you think the next killer laptop is just waiting to happen?
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 04:58:59 AM »

The laptop will go the way of the netbook and dodo bird. OK let me refine this a bit, the older generation like myself will still want/use a full laptop but the younger gen is moving quickly away from them to all in one devices. I have been in IT for 25 years and have seen this trend happening more and more.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »

The laptop will go the way of the netbook and dodo bird. OK let me refine this a bit, the older generation like myself will still want/use a full laptop but the younger gen is moving quickly away from them to all in one devices. I have been in IT for 25 years and have seen this trend happening more and more.

Laptops will be here for some time yet. I will have a touch screen too but it is going nowhere. The desktop is in trouble. On netbook, it never really died and is still around only called slim lines or ultra lites with more power. I still use them today. As far as full laptop, I prefer 14 inch not 15 or bigger. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 06:44:13 AM »

While I like my tablet (iPad), I could not go fulltime to it yet. I know a lot of people that could. My mother who is in her 70's does Facebook and email and switched to a iPad and has not used her laptop since she bought iPad. So for some users, yes they can use a tablet and be fine.

I have 180GB of data on my laptop, music, digital photos, documents etc. While someday I could ditch the music and just get a streaming service, the digital photos of my kids, documents, etc are things that I can't lose. So simply storing all that is an issue. I could solve that with an online storage provider of some sort.

By the time you add a bluetooth keyboard to a tablet, you basically have the form factor of a slim laptop.  I think laptops will be around for much longer.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:47:46 AM »

iPads, iPhones, smart phones, tablets are convenient and that is their greatest strength. For basic, Email,  Internet tasks, Text and Video Chat without having wait for the device to boot up  they can't be beat. And that is where the comparison ends and there are drawbacks.

The drawbacks include

#1. No USB port on the iPhone and iPad.

#2. No user battery replacement for iPhone and iPad
http://www.cnet.com/news/when-your-ipad-battery-dies-dig-out-99-plus/

#3. No Mouse

#4. Very small screen

#5. Difficult to impossible do some serious work on.

Touchscreens might be fine for tablets and phones, but they don't belong on desktop monitors. Especially expensive large home monitors, with smudges on the screen really looks like crap.

To get everything else done a desktop or traditional laptop is still needed. I cannot fathom some architect trying to design a building, some CPA doing serious financial spreadsheets, stock market traders, or someone doing video or audio work on an iPad or iPhone. Netbooks might go away, traditional laptops and desktops will still be around for some time to come especially in the corporate world.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:49:50 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »

I have never wanted to use a USB anything on my iPad. Don't miss a USB port at all. Dropbox works just fine. I think USB thumbdrives are becoming less useful with the growth of online storage services like Dropbox, Box.net, iCloud, etc. I didn't say not useful . . . I used to carry on around a lot. Don't anymore due to having dropbox on my tablet, phones, computers etc.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

I have never wanted to use a USB anything on my iPad. Don't miss a USB port at all. Dropbox works just fine. I think USB thumbdrives are becoming less useful with the growth of online storage services like Dropbox, Box.net, iCloud, etc. I didn't say not useful . . . I used to carry on around a lot. Don't anymore due to having dropbox on my tablet, phones, computers etc.

You do no miss it because you have never used it. Apple is REAL bad about USB and memory cards that are cheap and part of life today. The want to charge you 200 more for a extra 48 meg in a phone with a 64gig micro SD can be had on sale for 30 or so. Its all about the drinking the koolaid. Driod tablets are much more capable and MS surface tablets have always had a full sized USB port and will see a cordless mouse automatically too. Then there is printing to any wireless printer from your tablet or phone. With Window phone or tablet its a breeze and with Andriod it is not too hard and with Apple a lost cause without apple add ons for $$$. Yep its all about the Apple kooliad. As long as you keep drinking it look great and you buy more. One day you will sober up though and see the light.

To put this into better perspective, MS and Driod work with existing standards for printing, USB, memory cards etc while Apple wants you to use their standard only which is far more profitable for them and locks you deeper in their trap.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:02:54 AM by W8JX » Logged

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »

All our relatives have iPads and/or iPhones yet none of them ever bought a Mac Computer. And probably never Will.  I do have a G3 Power Mac which I got used several years ago, but it is sitting in storage. I ran Linux on it for awhile. I once had an Android phone, the damned thing would often lock up and freeze.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »

You do no miss it because you have never used it. Apple is REAL bad about USB and memory cards that are cheap and part of life today. The want to charge you 200 more for a extra 48 meg in a phone with a 64gig micro SD can be had on sale for 30 or so. Its all about the drinking the koolaid. Driod tablets are much more capable and MS surface tablets have always had a full sized USB port and will see a cordless mouse automatically too. Then there is printing to any wireless printer from your tablet or phone. With Window phone or tablet its a breeze and with Andriod it is not too hard and with Apple a lost cause without apple add ons for $$$. Yep its all about the Apple kooliad. As long as you keep drinking it look great and you buy more. One day you will sober up though and see the light.

Never needed to have a USB port on the iPad for anything. Why would I need one? To get some file onto the iPad from a computer? There are several ways to do that over the network, Dropbox being the easiest. Why mess with USB drives? I hardly use USB drives on my computers anymore. The only one I use is a 500GB one for backups just because of the capacity and speed.

You mention printing? I can print just fine using the iPad to two different HP printers at my house. No extra Apple gear or software required. Also no need for a mouse on a tablet with a touch screen.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »

Never needed to have a USB port on the iPad for anything. Why would I need one? To get some file onto the iPad from a computer? There are several ways to do that over the network, Dropbox being the easiest. Why mess with USB drives? I hardly use USB drives on my computers anymore. The only one I use is a 500GB one for backups just because of the capacity and speed.

See you actually NEED a USB and get around it saying I will use a computers USB then transfer to drop box then to Ipad. So inefficient. What happens when not home? The whole purpose of a PROPER tablet is that you do not need a computer to upload data to it duh. Really dump not to have one but it is the apple mentality at corporate.

You mention printing? I can print just fine using the iPad to two different HP printers at my house. No extra Apple gear or software required. Also no need for a mouse on a tablet with a touch screen.

If they are apple ready and support Apples protocol. Nothing special needed for MS or Driod. As far as need for mouse I have used one a few times for far more precision than a finger. MS and Driod support higher accuracy inputs not Apple with out spending big $$$$. 

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »

See you actually NEED a USB and get around it saying I will use a computers USB then transfer to drop box then to Ipad. So inefficient. What happens when not home? The whole purpose of a PROPER tablet is that you do not need a computer to upload data to it duh. Really dump not to have one but it is the apple mentality at corporate.

If they are apple ready and support Apples protocol. Nothing special needed for MS or Driod. As far as need for mouse I have used one a few times for far more precision than a finger. MS and Driod support higher accuracy inputs not Apple with out spending big $$$$. 

Printing: The HP printers support AirPrint which most printers support now days. Before I got the printer with the AirPrint built in, I as still able to print anything. It's not that hard. Without eprint, I can email things to the printer and they print.

I don't NEED USB nor a computer to get a file onto the iPad. It sounds like you think some file starts on the USB drive. I don't use USB drives for storage. They are just used to move things from one computer to another or to give someone a file on. But that is rare, email, dropbox take care of that. The computer comment assumes there is a file on a computer that I want on my iPad . . Hence transfer to USB then to wherever. Or move it to dropbox. Now if there is a file on a website, say a PDF file of some antenna plans for me to build. I simply download it straight to the iPad. No computer needed.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »

Hello.

The newer devices can do Bluetooth or WiFi, and I am happy with that.
A Bluetooth to serial adapter has proven to be the way to go.
And, as was pointed out, printing is not a problem.
With that said, the parallel and serial and PS/2 ports are all gone on modern computers as well.
Wireless Bluetooth mice and keyboards do exist, and work well.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »

Hello.

The newer devices can do Bluetooth or WiFi, and I am happy with that.
A Bluetooth to serial adapter has proven to be the way to go.
And, as was pointed out, printing is not a problem.
With that said, the parallel and serial and PS/2 ports are all gone on modern computers as well.
Wireless Bluetooth mice and keyboards do exist, and work well.

Serial ports are still needed for older legacy programs to program LMR radios. And some of those programs operate on DOS. The software for programming the Icom M710 runs on DOS and I think that radio is still being sold new.  Despite all the great modern technology today, I suggest just having at least one older computer around in case a serial port is needed for some occasional purpose.

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »

Or, do you think the next killer laptop is just waiting to happen?

I don't think so, not in the sense you are inferring. We're moving towards A.I. more and more as the research finally bears fruit. In the next ten years you'll probably, finally, be able to talk in natural language to your "computer", and have it just do whatever you tell it to do, and be able to reliably ask you questions if the instructions are confusing or illogical.

No, we're not going to have to type on keyboards, it's simply a matter of time now.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »

For anyone that has used a full size keyboard, connected to a fast desktop with two or three or four monitors, any laptop or mobile screen device is a temporary convenience solution when traveling or otherwise being away from the fast desktop with a full size keyboard and two or three or four monitors.
Sales of anything will be directed by which hardware peddler has the better marketing people .Right now they are i(samsung) in the process of convincing everyone that a "phone" that is almost the size of an iPad mini is a phone.
So they have taken over a large section of Best buy.
Microsoft is trying to peddle the surface.
And all I want is more and bigger screens for my fast desktops!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: