The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX7G - Marquesas Island  (Read 62281 times)
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

This one for sure. The child makes it special

That's the one we're leaning toward. His name is Ryan and he was a lot of fun, even though I'm pretty sure he called me Chicken Man in Marquesan all week.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:55:13 PM by N7SMI » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »

Sent for a card via OQRS. Hope you guys had a great time.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »

I just received my LoTW confirmations for TX7G.  Thank you!

Jonathan W6GX
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »

Me too, thanks!  I'll still be sending off for the card.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »

Just received the beautiful QSL card today.  Thank you!  What a fantastic operation from beginning to end.

Jonathan W6GX
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2014, 06:23:31 AM »

Just received the beautiful QSL card today.  Thank you!  What a fantastic operation from beginning to end.

Jonathan W6GX

Ditto.  I didn't send a QSL request but received an unsolicited QSL as an upfront donor.  A classy touch and a fb operation.  Congrats guys.

PS - My kids want to know if the fowl being held on the card was a pet or was dinner.  I told them pet.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:25:40 AM by K0YQ » Logged
KQ0J

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2014, 07:25:25 AM »

TX7G thanks to those great ops.  I previously only had one unconfirmed contact to that entity on SSB and I was able to pick up 5 bands on CW.  I just got into DXing 3 years ago,  so there are a LOT of places I need to work / confirm on a lot of bands.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »

PS - My kids want to know if the fowl being held on the card was a pet or was dinner.  I told them pet.  Smiley

Good answer. This one was definitely a pet. Him and his friends all had roosters on leashes and would try (unsuccessfully) to get them to fight.

Interestingly, there were thousands of roaming chickens on the island (roosters = 24/7 QRM... thank goodness for good headphones and earplugs at night), yet chicken wasn't on any menus. We did have goat on the local restaurant menu and a noisy goat next door that disappeared mid-week. He was delicious!
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »

Thanks for your comments. I hope to have all direct QSL cards out in the next week or so. There are about 1000 yet to send.

Some have been rather critical of our low numbers for Europe. As a team, we've thought a lot about this. It was not for lack of effort.

We would call for EU-only usually several times hourly and did our best to work any weak stations that were calling. Our relatively high numbers for SA, OC, and AF (compared to other FO/m operations show we gave difficult locations a lot of attention). Our predicted local nighttime (EU daytime) openings to Europe on 20/17/15 simply wasn't there - we'd call and call for hours with few EU responses, always sacrificing rate on 30, 40, and 80 meters to try and get more EU stations logged.

We also had terrain that blocked low angle signals to Europe, and long-path was pretty much non-existent due to very significant terrain to our South. When combined with the very significant polar aurora from the biggest sunspot in 24 years (much polar flutter on EU signals also made them difficult to decode) and 2 radio blackouts during optimal propagation to EU, along with almost non-stop DQRM and numerous stations that would call and call but never listen when we had openings there made things very difficult. We discussed what we could have done to give EU a better chance, but short of a different QTH (meaning generators and tents), another schedule, or significantly longer time on the island, we're not sure what we could have done different.

Another operation will be on from Marquesas Nov. 16-21 from a different location. I only have one QSO with Marquesas and am anxious to fill some band slots.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »

Thanks for sharing the stories.  Those volcano spires look menacing and I'm surprised that any RF made it past them  A job well done!

Golden rule #1 for dxpeditioners
"you can never make everyone happy"

Jonathan W6GX
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »

Just now opened an envelope with a TX7G QSL card - Nice card!
NV5E

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »

Just got my card and it only shows my 20m QSO.  Looks like I requested it correctly on the Clublog OQRS page.  No matter though, all of them show up in LOTW. 
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »

Just got my card and it only shows my 20m QSO.  Looks like I requested it correctly on the Clublog OQRS page.  No matter though, all of them show up in LOTW. 

Uh oh! We must have misplaced one of the QSO labels. I'll send another one right away.
NV5E

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2014, 08:51:18 AM »

It's not worth the postage to do it.  I have the card to look at and all the QSO's are in LoTW, so I'm happy.  I appreciate the offer though.
Rob
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »

Got my chicken card today too, even though I requested mine late.  Very, very nice.  A fine ending for a satisfying operation.  I look forward to your next trip.  Thanks.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: