Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ts 590 vs ftdx 3000  (Read 2292 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »

I recently sent my ts 590 to kenwood to get the alc issue fix UPS so far as not able to deliver my package so so far is lost in the event they don't find it I was think what to do buy another 590 or upgrade to a yaesu ftd3000 so my question is it worth the upgrade or stay the same
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »

The Sherwood Engineering page has receiver measurements you can use to compare the two radios.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »

I don't own either one, but have used them both, including pretty recently at HRO.

My "impression" is there isn't a lot of difference.  Go with what feels good for you, after using them side-by-side.  "Ergonomics" is a big factor, and a very personal one.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:44:36 PM »

I have had both-the 3000 has a better Rx and is quiet in comparison to the 590.

Don KF7DS
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:59:32 PM »

Please explain quiet. I've been hearing that about every time someone buys a new receiver. How much more quieter can receivers be than atmospheric noise? It must have to do more with the 10% normal audio distortion (THD) than the front end.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:03:57 PM by KI6LZ » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:14:21 AM »

Please explain quiet. I've been hearing that about every time someone buys a new receiver. How much more quieter can receivers be than atmospheric noise? It must have to do more with the 10% normal audio distortion (THD) than the front end.

or reduced sensitivity....

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

I have owned both radio's, the 590 for almost a year and the 3000 for over a year. Had both radio's side by side doing comparo's on every band except for six meters and the 590 did get sold. There was never a time that one radio could not hear what the other one could hear but on both cw and ssb the audio on the 3000 was always more pleasing and the RX noise floor was always less on the Yaesu, the 590 had the high hiss level that all the kenwoods I have ever owned had but the 3000 was very close to a buddies 5000 as far as the RX noise which is lower than most all the Yaesu radio's I've owned. The RX audio seemed to have less IMD artifacts as well, the DSP was better at every level and you had more control over the shape of the filtering as well in the 3000. No ALC spike issues with the Yaesu and the RF output on the 3K in SSB blew the Kenwood away. I ended up buying two radio's because of how they placed on Sherwoods RX list, the 590 and the K3 and there both gone, these differences may come up in a lab but in real world use you may never see them pop up even when comparing them on a crowded band during contest time. I didn't buy the Yaesu cause it had a fish finder, it may be smaller than the Icom's but it is very usefull to see band activity. One thing that I really like but I am by no means a CW maverick but the CW tone on the yaesu has made me go back to that mode just on how it sounds, clear, clean and crisp. The kenwood for me is too small of a rig but if they have fixed the ALC issue it would make a great portable/DX Va-ca/backup rig and its very easy to use plus at the price I see them selling for a great deal but IMO the Yaesu was worth the extra wood plus its down convertion on every band with two VFO knobs and nice display. I also found that the built in EQ on the 3000 was better than the multi band EQ that you have to use Kenwoods software to change, you can make the Yaesu sound clean and natural or like a DX meat grinder. The 3K's APF/Contor control really works great when trying to dig a dx station outa the crud on 75 meters. Enjoy which ever rig you buy.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: