The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd QSL card Question  (Read 13999 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »

Uh oh, here come the QSL religious wars again.  ARRL LOTW vs. Independent e QSL, paper vs. virtual, hard card vs. soft card. Hey, if you want to collect toilet paper awards to cover the wall cracks and discolored paint in your shack then by all means do it.  Make sure you use that real high quality toilet paper rather than that brand X single ply stuff....OK.
I believe that most ham radio operators want to make contacts and enjoy a QSO.  If all you're doing is living to collect toilet paper and acting all anal retentive as to which logging process is the 'true' process then you're missing the fun.  Having a P__sing contest with each other over the virtues of these QSL collating systems is like flushing the toilet...it all goes down the same hole.
Stop taking yourselves so seriously...it's just a hobby...Sorry but those who care so much that they need to fight over this crap are losers.

*** yawn ***
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »

Speaking of toilet paper, I have just such a QSL from a local from many years ago, c.1956.
He is now an SK, but his QSL is right there with all the rest of my collection. I also have a
couple that I hand made, sent to the other station for his signature and postmark so I could
confirm his state. Whatever works, works!

Bill
W4XK
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »

I've done this for years. I print custom designed "cards" on my PC and send them out.
Actual cards are too expensive to waste, since in my experience there is only about a 50% return rate on them.
Besides, my custom "cards"?are far more interesting and one of a kind then those others.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »

Yet another reason I do not participate in either LOTW or eQSL.  Paper or nothing.

BTW, I print out my own  QSL cards and, GASP, they are printed by my homebrew, logging software!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:10 AM »

I believe that most ham radio operators want to make contacts and enjoy a QSO.

No they don't! If that was true, then why is JT65 (or its variants) so popular? Those modes only serve one purpose and that is to put a contact in your log with only the minimally required information (and hopefully confirm it). As a matter of fact, it is not even possible to have a "real QSO" with this mode. Yeah I know, most PSK31 QSOs are nothing but macro swapping, but at least you could have something resembling a conversation with someone if you want.

Personally, I don't get it. With all due respect to Joe Taylor, a JT65 contact is like watching paint dry!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:41 AM »

IU:  I have to agree with you ......even with PSK31.  I've used PSK31 quite a bit and finally threw in the towel.  The reason was because PSK31 became a swap of macros. 

Time after time I've tried to engage a station in a conversation and found basically two things.  They either are not interested in anything but a contact in the log as you point out or they can't type! 

I have encountered several of the second class and it became obvious immediately they were using the "hunt and peck" method of typing.  While this was painful to watch, I never-the-less applauded them for trying.....for their efforts. 

Most don't even want to try.

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »

There's the other aspect of HAM radio...dishumanification  Cheesy Taking the human aspects out, automating the contact and the interaction just to roll more toilet paper across your walls.  I guess that's an aspect of the hobby for those hopeless introverts who couldn't hold a conversation for more than five seconds. Well as long as they are relegated to their slim bandwidth beep zones then they should be entitled to have some...err...fun..hah.hahaha.  Only real men talk on the air.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »

The solution is simple:  Send the card back and ask him to sign it!
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

There's the other aspect of HAM radio...dishumanification 

dishumanification <-- no such word.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: