Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack Closes Under $1 For First Time  (Read 8480 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

"RadioShack's stock is trading below $1 per share for the first time in its history — and has the investment world wondering if it will eventually be delisted.

Shares of RadioShack Corp. fell 9 cents, or 9 percent, to 94 cents in Friday afternoon trading after falling as low as 91 cents per share earlier in the day. The New York Stock Exchange could delist the stock if it closes below $1 per share for 30 consecutive trading days.

The stock is well below its all-time high of $79.50 set in December 1999. Since then, RadioShack has had trouble finding its place in the evolving retail and technology landscape."
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

the chart says to me some big holders cashed and ran...
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »

WSJ Blog today:
"Investors appear to be most concerned about RadioShack’s cash position.  As of May 3, the company had $61 million in the bank, down from $180 million at the end of 2013. The company said earlier this month that it had enough cash to last at least 12 months, but that’s contingent on an immediate improvement in sales and margins, no easy feat."

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »

Hello.

Unless Radio Shack sells the ultimate toy, it is going to have to be bigger than Elmo, Furby and Simon combined.
AND, they have the ultimate widget nobody else has.
AND, they somehow train each and every member of the sales staff to sell, upsell, and upsell on top of that.
Radio Shack is screwed!
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:04:47 AM »

Useless store these days unless you want a cell phone or remote controlled toy & I have ZERO use for either! They can shut them all & I will not miss them.

Clayton
W4KVW
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »

What do Radio Shack and young codfish have in common?
They're both scrod.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »

heh, KBN.  as a born judge of fishy (Aquarius with Pisces rising, which means I'm all wet and everything I do is a little fishy) I do believe it's time to cut bait, here.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »

I'm a PIsces myself (born on PI day: 3/14).

Don't get too many chances to use the word "scrod".  First time I heard of it was in a story about a guy who'd just arrived in Boston and was eager to try this dish.  He hopped into a cab and asked the driver to take him to a place where he could get scrod.

The driver replied, "I been driving a cab for 20 years and I probably heard that same sentence a million times, but this is the first time anybody has used the pluperfect subjunctive!"

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »

I will miss them if they do go under. I don't shop there a lot anymore, but it is nice to be able to get various electronic parts on a moment's notice, without having to wait for them to arrive in the mail, and pay some (usually) outrageous shipping charges-like $8 or so for a single part that could be thrown in an envelop and mailed for $1.50

John AF5CC
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:50:11 AM »

RSH - Jun 23 10:49 AM ET -- 0.82
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »

woohoo!  investment opportunity!  get all your money out of CDO^3s and Russian banks and Petters Worldwide and buy RS stock!

myself, I'd rather invest in a sub sandwich.  lasts longer and fulfils a basic need.
N8LTD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »

These days it's hard to find a pl-259 in stock at a RS within 10 miles of my house. And I live in the big city of Houston.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »

These days it's hard to find a pl-259 in stock at a RS within 10 miles of my house. And I live in the big city of Houston.

Hello.

Electronics Parts Outlet!
http://www.epohouston.com/
You will see me there and at Tanners in Dallas (Carrollton).
I am the guy who drives a semi truck tractor and parks on the side.
We are the guys who came in and put together 800 crystal radio kits for a summer project.
By put together I mean getting parts together, drilling holes and sanding boards and section of plastic pipe, putting all the parts and instructions in plastic bags.
Times 800!
N8LTD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »

Hello.

Electronics Parts Outlet!
http://www.epohouston.com/

Times 800!

I didn't know EPO would have something like pl-259's. I just ordered 20 of them from Gigaparts Friday. And ordered the Extra class book 'cause I got tired of the local radio shop telling me "no we don't have it" every week when I would call. These days it's getting hard to find anything at local stores. And I'm getting to where i don't wanna get out in the heat and humidity and traffic and put miles on my car. So I order almost everything online now.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »

Divide RSH's market cap by the number of stores (about 4,000) and you get about $20,000 per store. So stop beefing about their business practices Now just about any ham can afford his own private Radio Shack. Ditch the phones; fill YOUR store with components! That day is probably approaching... fast.

RSH closed at 82 cents a share today. I'd imagine they're getting cut off by vendors. They'll have to pay upfront for advertising. Customers are learning about the problems... who will buy those high margin maintenance contracts now?  

Death Spiral. BK probably in days.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:41:26 PM by K0OD » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: