Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Submersible Pump in a Big Lake ?  (Read 11724 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:56 AM »

My feeling is that the people making the decisions are less well educated than in bygone days, as well as being less encouraged to use common sense.

In some cases, it's pay peanuts and get monkeys, but it often seems that managers - even at senior levels - are heavily  overpaid monkeys.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »

People who still have their morals find a way to express themselves without the use of profanity.  There are lots of ways of expressing one's feelings too.  Only the uneducated have to use profanity--and they claim they can because of freedom of speech--but that's another topic.

Getting back to people expressing themselves, I have a bit of a story. 

The town I used to live in has a town meeting type of government, and once a person wanted to start a fleamarket in a parking lot of a church who had sold him the land when they built a new church nearby.  He had grand plans, and there wasn't too much to stop him since the zoning of the land wasn't residential--it was combination residential and commercial, but his was the only planned commercial venture in the middle of all residences.  He and I locked horns because of a request he made to me concerning removal of a structure on my land to let him carry out his plans--something I did not want to do.

At the selectmans meeting where he made his proposal and requested a permit, he had several abutters including myself who kept up with introducing requirements that would either put the guy out of business before he started because of costs, or that would tie his hands effectively closing the fleamarket at any sign of violation.  It was that man who first had a lawyer come to subsequent meetings and then--against the advice of that lawyer, start ranting at those meetings about how he had a right to run a business, a right to do as he thought best, a right to refuse special restrictions and so on. 

The permit he had to have never was issued because the abutters calmly kept up with the stated restrictions and how the guy would affect the conditions around his property.  He finally gave up when the selectmen stated they would issue a conditional permit--with every single issue brought up by the abutters addressed and spelled out and with most of those issues going the way of the abutters because of how he had expressed his unwillingness to bother thinking about how his fleamarket would affect those around him.  He then stated --through his lawyer--that he could neither afford the conditions nor was he willing to be bound by such a permit, and that he was giving up his plans. 

Not one of the abutters argued or used any type of colorful language or did any yelling or carrying on--rather they expressed themselves calmly and intellegently.  Only the applicant ranted and raved, and it got him nowhere with the town officials--or the abutters who didn't want to see their peaceful neighborhood changed into a noisy one every weekend there was decent weather around.

What has this to do with ham radio?  Only this--I was the next door neighbor of that property, and the thing this guy wanted me to remove was the 60 foot tower I had up on my property, a tower that was guyed with two of the guy points on the property line.  The tower permits had been applied for and granted, yet this guy wanted the tower down because he believed it a menace to his plans and to the safety of people at the flea market.  It was interesting to note that not one of my other neighbors ever complained about that tower, as I had kept all people within 500 feet of the tower site informed as to my plans before and after I had it put up, and AAMOF, several made comment that THEY wanted the tower to stay as it was at the meetings!  There again, maybe that was because they wanted that guy gone, and anything and everything that kept him away was welcome to them!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »

But a part of the problem are those who do not understand anything expressed without indecent and/or profane language.

Some years back, there was guy in a boat somewhere off Florida calling his girlfriend on about 14190, no callsign given, cussing enough to fit an upset marine. Even when calling her. Obviously not an amateur. He got real upset when I called CQ over the top of him........it's fundamental to the Radio Regulations that a station authorised to operate on a frequency cannot, by definition, be deemed to be causing interference with a station that isn't.  Eventually he went away......upset.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: