The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio vs CB  (Read 32102 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »

Hello.

The FCC could care less if you talked to a station from the short path, long path, or tried an intergalactic contact.
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/citizens-band-cb-service
You can call yourself Jesus Christ if you want to.
Nobody really cares what you do with it within reason.
GMRS is pretty much the same way.
Than, I pointed out 27.255 MHz, shared with CB, RC, and business.
Yes, under CB rules I can only operate 4 watts.
Under RC rules I can only operate 25 watts.
But under Business Radio Service I am limited to paltry 250 watts!
However, if I move up to 28 MHz, I can run just a touch over 1000 watts.
You see, THAT is what I find funny.
The very fact that I was able to even get a response to this CB vs ham thing going?
There was an other, now locked thread, where I talk about taking a junk large computer monitor apart and using the parts in Amateur service.
Some hams were asking about schematics and such, for a junk computer monitor or TV?
The spirit of Amateur Radio should be one of understanding electronics and international goodwill.
My willingness to take apart used consumer electronics has the first part covered.
And, if you ask the local hams, I primarily speak Spanish, but, if you are nice, I will speak English,that has the second part covered.
I find 160 meters, 11 meters, 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters, 440 and GMRS to my liking.
The cheap Chinese 10 meter radios are FCC type accepted under part 90 for business.
The cheap talkies are type accepted under parts 90 and part 95 as well as being legal for part 97.
But, a lot of people are missing the point.
What am I doing?
Am I out doing a contest or chewing the rag on some legal frequency they may never use?
Am I a good operator, showing courtesy by always asking if the frequency is in use?
May I make this simple, I strive to be the model operator, perfect in every way I can.
There are times I may not be perfect, but I try to listen and correct.
Now, listen to me on the air, as I pick frequencies that do not propagate will and run only as much power as needed.
I give my callsign as is required, when required.
CB operators as well as ham operators will tell you, I run a class act.
And that is my point, CB, ham, GMRS, it is all radio.
There is no excuse to be a sloppy and offensive operator.
As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a good impression.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 05:19:10 PM »

In an emergency it doesn't matter what method of communication one uses....As long as the message gets out, be it ham radio, cell phone, cb radio, tin cans and a string or smoke signals. There are millions of CB radios out there that could be pressed into use during an emergency. They cost next to nothing to buy or to use and anyone can use them. It is just a communications tool.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16:39 AM »

Yes, under CB rules I can only operate 4 watts.
Under RC rules I can only operate 25 watts.
But under Business Radio Service I am limited to paltry 250 watts!
However, if I move up to 28 MHz, I can run just a touch over 1000 watts.
You see, THAT is what I find funny.

But wuith CB, RC and BRS radio there is no requirement for any training. Anyone can buy a radio and just use it. In order to operate that 1000W as an amateur you have to take a recognised exam which tests your technical competency and ensures you have the knowledge to operate 1000W in a safe manner minimising interference you do cause and if you do cause interference that you have the knowledge to know how to test for it and rectify the problem.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 04:30:49 AM »

Hello.

Under business band rules or as a novice I can run "Only" 250 watts.
Clearly I am being sarcastic.
And, that is my point, why bother running CB illegal when I can move up 1 MHz and run 1000+ watts?  Tongue
On CB, I run 27.255 or 27.385 MHz 
On amateur Radio I am almost exclusive to 28.385 MHz
The reason is that 27.255 and 27.385 are shared business.
From 27.385 to 28.385 is exactly a 1 MHz hop.
From 4 watts to 250 watts (256) is 21 decibel gain.
From 250 watts to 1000 watts is (1024) 6 decibel gain.
.1 watt is (was) the legal license free maximum.
A CB radio does not need to be converted in any manner to operate 10 meters.
It can be a CB, and an Amateur Radio, at the same time.
The trick is a transverter, with a 1 MHz shift.
So, you see, CB and Amateur Radio are very close, so close that a transition can be very easy.
The question is one of getting people to want to transition.
There should be no CB vs Amateur Radio.
The FCC took 11 meters and created CB in 1958, long before a lot of hams were born.
But, there is this stupid rivalry.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 08:57:52 AM »

Suppose you work another CBer who is 100 miles east of you, but you do it using longpath?  Is that illegal?

Yes.  The regs for CB also include a limit on distance.  I forget what it is, but I think it's something like 10 or 20 miles.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

Hello.

I posted the CB rules, there is no distance limit.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »

yes there is, or was, it was something like 255 miles which was 100 kilometers or such.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:57 AM »

It is 250 kilometers, about 150 miles plus change.

KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »

Hello.

Now, the only rules are, you can talk to the aliens, but must see their green cards before inviting them to dinner!
Oh, and if you live near an airport make sure they understand the traffic pattern!
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »

Why do many CBr's not come to ham radio?

I've noticed that many times 10 meters will not have any activity except for beacons, but 27mhz will be alive with activity.  Many of the CBr's have their rigs tuned to lower 38 monitoring just waiting to hear the DX.  Their operating practices are horrible granted, and mayhem is the theme.  But many are radio thrill seekers who don't like the structured environment of ham radio.  They thrive and love the wide open operating practices of CB where rules are tossed out the window.  Plus they seem to have a mindset that hams are boring nose in the air snobs.  Considering many of the hams I've met over the 40 years I've been in this hobby, a few do fit that persona but most don't.  Hell even I tuned down to lower 38 once in a while and even upper 27.555 to see what all the excitement is all about.  Once you tuned out of the normal CB channels it settles down to some fairly good operators!  

Notice I don't hit ENTER after each period.  That would make for a very difficult to read post wouldn't it?  Most of the time I don't even read posts like that as they are so difficult to understand what the poster was trying to say.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:04:44 AM by HAMMYGUY » Logged
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »

Notice I don't hit ENTER after each period.  That would make for a very difficult to read post wouldn't it?  Most of the time I don't even read posts like that as they are so difficult to understand what the OP was trying to say. 

That's for sure. Poor writing skills do not help at all if someone is trying to make a point or be taken seriously.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »

Hello.

I am even worse in spoken English.
But, I doubt you speak Spanish.
So, I regchew in Spanish, not that I am trying to be a snob, but that is easier for me.
I kick back and chat for hours.
We use VoIP, CB, GMRS, Amateur Radio, whatever!
CB for us is like the 2 meter simplex "talk in".
A short range invitation system.
GMRS works as well.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »

FCC 95.413(a): You may not use a CB radio..
(9): To communicate with, or attempt to communicate with, any CB station more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2014, 04:32:12 PM »

'scuse me while I go get my hip boots.  It's getting a little a tad deep...       Tongue
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »

Thanks, I thought there was a milage limit.  I playred CB for a while as a youngster, but when they dumped all the 23 channel rigs on the service  for cheap when they came out with the 40 channel stuff, the bands went into the  toilet.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: