Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still using Windows 98? NT4.0? 2000?  (Read 5978 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 05:48:56 AM »

well,
- there is the win_3x laptop that runs some logging program,
that one likes, and the CW trainer that one likes, as well.
- then there is the win_98 PC that also has some program(s) on it, that one also likes.
& this thing also dual_boots with win_3x as well.

neither have a wireless card, - so they can't get on the 'net anyway. ..
& none of that stuff will work under a win_7 O/S either.

"Wireless card" exists with Windows 3.x driver(s). Cisco Aironet 350 is one of them. (used to be just Aironet before Cisco bought them). Look it up.

And don't know what you mean by "none of that stuff", but the OP was talking about W98, NT4 and W2K, he didn't mention Win 7 so it is irrelevant to the thread created by the OP.

And not only that, you don't need to have "wireless card" in order to get "on the net". It is the same thing if you have a telegraph key, you don't have to have a radio transmitter in order to send a signal. Have you heard of ethernet networking?

My Acer 330 T Travelmate laptop which runs Windows 98 uses a plugin ethernet LAN card to get on the internet. Yes I tried it out and it works. I was able to view some sites using IE 4 with a mighty 64 MB ram.

It is a small 12" laptop, in fact it is a forerunner of today's netbooks!  It does not contain a floppy or disc drive, but it uses an external combination floppy/disc drive.

It looks like this

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:25:27 AM »

I used OS2 from 93 till about 97 as it could run Win9x apps in a virtual window. OS2  ver 2.x and above was 32 bit. It also had a virtual DOS that was better than real DOS. After that I moved to NT4. Never really cared for or used Win9x much. Switched to Win 2000 as primary in 2000. Used Beta NT5 some before 2000 shipped as it became 2000. Went to XP in 03 and Vista 64 in 07. I found 2000 more stable and quicker than XP back then. Still use Vista on 3 machines and 7 professional on a laptop that I plan to upgrade to 8.1 when I get time too. (It came with both versions non CD). Of early 32 bit Windoze 2000 was best in my book. My old Intel quad core powered Vista 64 bit machine still does a fine job and rock solid. Use 7 but never loved it.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »

Sorry I can't be more certain in my description, but I just dumped the Linux installation from my primary PC in order to play with Win 8.1, so I can't reference it too easily.  What I'm referring to are the add in shells such as WINE, and the additional software that is available on the web, whatever terms that Linux uses for them.  

No, I'm not Linux 'educated,' but I try different things (I have to do something with my retirement hobby time after all) and getting up to speed on the Ubuntu/Mint linux is my next, just as soon as I can set up a spare computer with that OS installed.  That is so I can have a machine that I can still access the web on while I'm playing with the Linux machine.

Since you mention Ubuntu/Mint can we assume you just dumped Ubuntu or Mint?

And I don't understand why you say "setting up" a Linux based app would be any more difficult than a Windows based app.

Rick KK4GGL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 06:55:58 AM »

I erased it from my primary machine hard drive--and it was Linux Mint/Cinnamon 17.  It's going on a separate machine in about a week, as I said, so I can reference the web as I play with the Linux machine.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »

Really can't be on the 'net.  The browser that these systems support are old and can't run on the net, and the newer browsers won't run on the older OSes, they're too old.

BUT...  Computers will still run the old OSes.  I run an older system on 98 for older applications with no problems.

As long as you turn Javascript off older browsers work fine.  Most web sites don't truly need it anyway, and those that do have competition.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: