Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30 Meters My New Favorite Band  (Read 5330 times)
W5VTC

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »

I recently purchased a Ten-Tec 4 Band QRP Go Pack from a fellow ham, who decided he didn't care for QRP. The HB1B had only been used twice and the antenna had never been used. The shoulder bag seems to be well made. $125 to take it off his hands was a steal. His asking price, not my offer.

I have never been on 30 Meters and I was really looking forward to trying it out. My CW fist is not the greatest, but I managed 4 QSO's in about 30 minutes and I have to say I am very impressed. From my QTH the band was in great shape. I don't want to knock the other bands, but for me, the 30 Meter folks are all very nice. I've had a few disgruntled QSO's in the past (related to my fist) and I found 30 Meters to be quite refreshing.

As for the HB1B, I love it. Even with my old Ameco key, it works great. I can see being a CW only OP and my fist can only get better from here.

Just thought I would share my excitement. 73 and have a great weekend all.

Scott W5VTC

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:20:08 AM by W5VTC » Logged
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Yeah, 30m is a fantastic QRP band. 
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »

Indeed, the 30 meter band  is truly a wonderful DX haven.  It has become one of my favorite bands for working a TON of DX. To me, 30 meters is one of the easiest bands to use via Qrp in one's pursuit of DXCC , WAC. and other DX awards.

my BEST regards with many 72...73 to all my Brother/Sister Qrpers.
Don sr.- WA2TPU/Qrp- A TRUE ALL AMERICAN MADE 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:11:31 AM »

I have to agree with TPU, over the last 4 years I've noticed the gradual migration of  my regular 2x QRP DX contacts to 30m from 20m for the obvious reasons. The keys to successful QRP DX on 30m (as any band) are day/night/seasonal propagation knowledge and a dedicated freq. cut antenna at your QTH. At my QTH to date my best performing 30m antenna is a bi directional inverted V 30m dipole @25 ft. with 12v relay, I found the V gives me much better results than the previous horizontal configuration. With this antenna most of the time I can turn a weak border line contact into a solid QSO by switching directions. QRP on 30 is where it's at, have fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: