Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Ten Tec Argonaut  (Read 5638 times)
F8WBD

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:54:42 AM »

There have not been many recent reviews of the latest Argonaut. I am seriously considering a purchase but am a bit nervous. Have to wonder about the rig's reliability and company support. Also sales. I don't want to have it fail this side of the pond only to discover TT has dropped out of the transceiver market and support of current rigs at the same time.

I have had 5 TT rigs over the past 30 years and no complaints.

Anyone following current TT transceiver news reports recently?

Dick
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »

Dick

Well for what it's worth: I haven't heard anything really negative about the new Argonaut. I think every ham who is honest will have a few nits to pick about new equipment but I personally haven't heard any major issues.

I have to say as long as there is a Ten Tec they will service their radios. Last summer I sent in an Argonaut 509 that's got to be 35 years old and got it back in fine condition. In my experience (I own, what, 5 TT radios dating back to the 509) the support has been very good. Recently I was thinking about converting my old Argosy to a new DDS VFO and had made some inquiries on an internet forum when I got a personal email from their service director pointing out some of the old vs new design issues I would run into. That did impress me.

Other hams may have different differing views but I think the new Argo is a safe bet.

Doc WB0FDJ 73
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »

Hopefully there is not much to go wrong with that rig.  I operated one this past weekend at field day here in NA.  Excellent cw audio.  The dsp works well.  This one had optional cw roofing filter and it did fine on busy bands when fed with a decent wire antenna.  I suspect the rf filters are not that sharp as I heard some noise from a 20m transmitter when it was on 15m.  The controls work fine but are a bit unususl with a 3 selection toggle switch determining the button function.  Tentec has offered support on rigs after they were discontinued so maybe a decade can be presumed even with new owners.  I can't remember if its been in qst but its receiver may be similar to the 100w Eagle.  73 Curt
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »

I've tried one and liked it.  In the end I went with an Eagle as I wanted a 100W radio with 6M.
The RX on the Argo by some is known as the baby Eagle and has much of the same technology.

I also have a TT 6n2 (model 526) and a  TT Triton (model 340).  The Triton I'm the second owner
and since 1978 its had a VFO shaft rebuild and new lamps.. that all!  Three radios all bullet proof.

I'd say no more risk than many other radios maybe less.

Allison

PA3FZS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:52:22 AM »

There is a Mega Sale ongoing at Ten Tec right now. You can get some good deals if you're in the market. Trouble for us Europeans of course is that Ten Tec only appears to ship within the US. Next to that we pay rather inflated prices as well. I inquired at a major UK dealer for an Argo VI, but they have gone silent on the topic. No idea why, although the speculation on TT's future on contesting dot com is intriguing.

F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »

Went to the T-T site. 800 bucks gets you rig, mic, and cw filter. That is a very good deal. The mic and filter were not originally included with an Argonaut purchase. I would recommend buying based on, at least my, previously positive T-T experience.

However, I went with the Elecraft K1 two weeks ago. Two used with many extras. Permits me to also purchase a new laptop which is really necessary.

If the sale were last month, I would have jumped at it as I am in the USA right now.
PA3FZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »

Have fun with the K1. Very nice kit as well, I speak from experience since I owned a K1 for a few good years myself.

If I've done my math well, 800 US translates to a generous 500 GBP. Plus VAT (20% in G land) amounts to about 600 GBP. There will be a dealer mark-up of course. Hopefully they will make me an offer lower than 800 GBP, but am not holding my breath  Smiley

Take care,

Marinus
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:55 AM »

TT, just don't ask them about the SP-325. That is, unless you like to get insulted......

ron
N4UE
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »

End of the K1-4:
http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2014-July/205702.html

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: