Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rag Chews, DX won't chat, just hit and run QSO'S  (Read 7223 times)
AA1IK

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:08:22 AM »

After calling CQ RAG CHEW, rag chews only please, no hit and run QSO's DX station answer my CQ and still hit and run.

If you are DX please take note;

I want to get to know you, if you don't want to chat, then please do not answer my CQ.

I want to chat, get to know what you like, what you do when your not on the radio, about where you live, what you do for work, about your kids, and other hobbies.

I do not want to read yet another mechanical download about your antenna farm, and computer. I could not care less about this. Its boring!

Getting to know someone in another country is exciting, and fun.

Is it preconcieved notions that keep DX from chatting with us here in the US?

I monitor EU stations chatting among themselves regularly.

What am I to think?

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:13:28 AM »

Since I am interested in radio, I don't mind talking about radios and antennas. I "rag chew" most mornings with the DX on the low bands. I also "rag chew" with the DX on the higher bands when I can speak their language and they do not speak English (German, Spanish, Thai). I also like to be competitive, so if the DX does not speak one of my languages and I can not speak one of their languages; it is a friendly 59, 73. Usually the DX speaks many languages compared to a lot of English only speakers on this side of the pond. I always greet the DX, and comment on something I know about their country. Many times this will lead into a "rag chew". The problem is that with an unscheduled rag chew the LID's will get impatient and start QRMing. Anyway I am rambling! Have fun.

73, de Lindy    
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »

I would think the stations that don't answer you don't want to "rag chew" with you.  The DX that does answer you may not know what "rag chew" or "hit and run" means and their English to Swahili dictionary isn't much help.

When I call CQ, I take what I get and make no rules for the other station to follow.  I don't get many replies unless I am on a rare IOTA or other DX location.

I think that perhaps there are "way too many" USA ops on HF and the rest of the world is bored with us.

73 and gl
Wade
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 06:44:45 AM »

Getting to know someone in another country is exciting, and fun.

Yes it is, but you have to go through some formalities first.  It's all about building relationships and it's a give and take thing.  Maybe you're just being too forward and are coming across as pushy and arrogant.

I do not want to read yet another mechanical download about your antenna farm, and computer. I could not care less about this. Its boring!

Yes but this may be the first part of the conversation that helps break the ice.  Are you married or ever dated?  I'm sure your first conversation wasn't about jumping in the ----- (well maybe it was).

I want to chat, get to know what you like, what you do when your not on the radio, about where you live, what you do for work, about your kids, and other hobbies.

In time, let the relationship develop naturally.

Is it preconcieved notions that keep DX from chatting with us here in the US?

No.  I've come to personally know many DX stations and we enjoy sometimes long and sometimes short QSOs.

I monitor EU stations chatting among themselves regularly.

Yes, they have developed relationships.

What am I to think?

Already answered.  Back off and be natural and friendly.
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 03:18:16 PM »

Remember a foreign station's command of English may be limited to "formalities" and his brag file.

Try a QSO in the other fellow's language every once in a while - it's an interesting challenge!
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »

Also remember the DX may be burning the candle at both ends to make a few DX contacts, that is it may be 2 AM his time and he stayed up this late to work western DX or maybe he is fixing to hit the door to go to work. Conditions are not all that favorable these days, myself I notice a nice little DX opening on 20 right after sun down and it doesn't last long. When condx are not good, I'll purposely keep my QSOs as short as possible. Honestly I love to rag chew, but I totally understand the short DX QSO and take DX as it comes my way. With time and patience you'll cultivate DX rag chewers.
AA1IK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »

You just don't get it Phil.

Should DX back off, and just be natural, when the say

CQDX no north america. Are they being unfriendly when they do this. I think not.

They can talk to anyone they choose or not talk to them. And they can complain about it too. It's their right. As can I!

This has nothing to do with being natual or friendly.
It has to do with respecting the calling station's wishes.

There is a V6 station that calls CQDX regularly and does not want to talk with the US. Hams in other countries do the same thing, I don't answer someone who is calling CQDX from the US because I am in the US.

I respect that their wishes.

And for the rest of you who assumed that I was not biligual, Bon Jour, mais amis.

de AA1IK/P
WA3YAY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 07:17:40 AM »

I know a few Hams that have this concern too. I don't share it. DX to me is like fishing. I don't need to get to know the fish to be happy with the catch.

On the other hand, one of my dearest friends, G6FLG and I met on the GB3DX repeater. He was on 2M and I was on EchoLink. We had a lot in common - a love of old cars, motorcycles, radio, etc. and we've been chatting on HF and Skype on a regular basis for almost 5 years now (I guess I should get on a plane and visit in person sometime soon).

There are ways to get to know the people on the other end of a DX contact. But I'm not sure that HF is the best mode for this. My suggestion is to find a 2M repeater locally that has a EchoLInk to a foreign counterpart and chat up the locals. It's a lot clearer, relaxed and reliable. That'll do the trick.

G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 01:47:01 PM »

I can understand your interest in wishing to have long keyboard chats but I don't think the time is right. The conditions of the bands are very poor at the moment and in contacts to Europe you will be lucky if a contact can be held for five minutes.  Remember also that it may be impossible to keep a frequency for a long period to chat even if the conditions are stable. There are hundreds of operators using 14.070, you can't hear them, you can't see them but they are there, and they can't see your transmissions either so holding a long QSO battling  QRM and QSB is not an option for people who also either have command of little Enlish, on none at all.

Because you see macro's sent you in English doesn't mean that the operator speaks English. Perhaps you are not aware but there are many Russians who contact each other using their English macro's because they can have quick contacts under difficult conditions. However if they are close to each other they will converse in Cyrillic for their keyboard chats.

When conditions improve in 2010 you will find that there will be more British operators around and of course some of them wil be pleased to chat but not everyone is able to type for a lengthy period, the brain and the fingers get tired, and its much easier to talk.

Take care, 73 Mel G0GQK EPC # 1083
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »

I share the same feeling about working DX as you Ernest. When I got my ticket I wanted to do nothing but work DX. Well after a few dozen of those hit and run QSO's I got very bored with it. The standard exchanges of rig, wx, antennas, etc. are fine for the introduction, but it is nice to have a chat with the fellow on the other end of the QSO and at least get to know the person. I also realize that many foreign amateurs may struggle with the English language and therefore I try and be patient with them and understanding of that. This is one reason I seldom DX anymore. Its become too contest like. I also understand where your coming from when it comes to stations answering your call and doing exactly the opposite of what you requested in your CQ. Many DX'ers specify certain call areas so why shouldnt they respect your wishes just the same? This is why I stay on the lower bands now and ragchew with my friends all over the US and let the DX'ers exchange their 5-9 cya later crap.
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 09:54:16 AM »

I spent a number of years living and working in Germany as a contractor. I operated my ham station while there and learned a lot about different customs, languages, and the differences in social behavior.

Putting demands on foreign hams to chat with you is not a good way to win them over. Foreign social customs are quite different than in America and this includes ham radio.

73's
Mike
W5RKL

ZL1PHD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »

I agree.
If a contact does not want to stay and chat. I have no problem with that, I move on and forget to log the contact (unless it's from a far out place). If the contact wants a rag chew, I'd more than happy to comply and will most defiantly log the contact.
Same goes for QSL cards. I have a few but once you have a box full... I don't do them anymore.
Making the contact and having a rag chew for me is what it's about. The sprit of making a contact with your own equipment.
To me it's like fishing. Keep the big ones, let the small fry go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: