Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-9100 USB driver comes/goes!?!?  (Read 1658 times)
KG7CZV

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »

I have an IC-9100 with the newest revision firmware.

I have the latest Icom USB driver installed, on a brand-new Windows 8.1 PC.  I installed it as per the instructions, driver first, before ever connecting the radio.

Connect up the radio to the PC via a nice short USB cable, turn on the radio, Windows beeps, and the correct drivers for the two COM ports appear in the device manager.

So far so good.

Every few minutes, Windows beeps, removes the device as if I unplugged the cable, then beeps again and reconnects the device. (I think it is just removing the lower-numbered of the two com ports created, but I'm not positive.)

This of course causes whatever software is attempting to use the radio fits!

All help/thoughts greatly appreciated!
KG7CZV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »

I believe I have now resolved this problem.

In going through the debugging process, I encountered some mention of the IC-7100 having similar problems, and being sensitive to USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 ports.

I tried several different high quality USB cables, and got different results (none satisfactory: either failure to recognize the IC-9100 at all, or one of the ports not initializing, or the original disconnect-after-1-to-5-minutes problem.

I then tried the various 2.0 vs. 3.0 ports on my computer, and had similarly odd results.

I found one mention on the Internet of a fellow seeing similar things on his IC-7100 and solving it by putting a powered hub in between the radio and his PC. So, I dug out an old powered USB 2.0 hub I have, inserted it into the system, and everything immediately starting working fine, and stable.

Go figure.    My theory is that the IC-9100 sometimes draws a teeny bit too much power, resets its USB/UART internal device, which causes the driver on the PC to reset, or semi-reset.

The PC I am using is a brand-new  Lenovo H530s 57323778 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 444.   Of course, it is possible the Lenovo isn't spitting out a happy amount of juice on the USB.

Brian AF7ES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: