Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux - Signalink USB - eeePC 900  (Read 1808 times)
KV4ZZ

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »

Just posting a success. Not starting a pro/con linux debate, there are enough of those going on already. I have an older eeepc 900 that was running XP but barely. Too many hiccups trying to use fldigi due to processor abilities. My sole purpose is an interface for digital modes. I am not trying to control a rig, I am not trying to balance my checkbook. I simply wanted my signalink usb to connect to fldigi to do psk31 (and then try others as I feel so inclined).

1. I downloaded Linux Mint 17 Mate. I installed it to a usb drive using Universal USB Installer with a persistent partition so I could save things. I plugged it into my eeepc and during power up hit esc and F12 alternately because I couldn't remember which one lets me choose the boot device for that machine. I selected boot from USB.
2. Once powered up I used the software package manager to search for fldigi and install it.
3. I plugged in the signalink usb and it was recognized as a sound device when I went to audio preferences. I adjusted the usb audio device PCM2904 Audio Codec for maximum volume for both input and output.
4. I started fldigi and went through the start up wizard and selected USB Audio Codec for the Input and Output.
5. Make contacts.

It was plug and play with this version of Linux.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

... and not starting a distro debate ...  :-)

SignaLink/FLDigi is pretty much plug and play in Opensuse too, once you add the Ham repository.

Rick KK4GGL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »

Good information.

I have the eeePC 900A as well running "Easy Peasy" Linux. The Signalink USB with the eeePC was going to be one of my projects to see if I can get the two to work.

This kind of answered my question. If "Easy Peasy" doesn't work with the Signalink USB . I will just load Linux Mint 17 Mate on to it. The only problem with my eeePC is that the hard drive is like 4 GB.

It originally came with some Xandros variant which I replaced with "Easy Peasy". Not sure If I can replace the hard drive or if 4 GB will be enough. But thanks again for the info.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »

Also...
I am using an Acer Aspire One ZG5 1.6 GHz, a gig of ram ( I think ) and  an 80 gig HD. I dual boot XP sp3 and opensuse 13.1. I'm using Windows for my packet at  the moment. I have it connected to a USB SignaLink and a Kenwood TM-281a.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: