Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't seem to decode PSK31  (Read 786 times)
N7SET

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2006, 10:14:01 PM »

I've been monitoring the PSK31 calling frequencies using WinPSK. I can see the 'tracks' in the waterfall, some of them being S5 or greater. When I select the tone to decode, nothing comes out of it. The vector graph points to the 12 o'clock position and according to the documentation, it's an unmodulated carrier.
Is this pretty common to see so many empty signals out there, or am I doing something wrong?
This is with an IC-720A and a Rascal interface.

Thanks for the tips!

James KC7YJJ
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:56:04 PM »

What sideband are you using? Most ops use USB no matter what band they are on.
N7SET

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »

USB on 20 meters and LSB on 40 meters and below. I've tried moving to USB on 40 and below but there are significantly fewer signals there.

-James
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »

The most common mode of PSK31 (BPSK) is NOT polarity sensitive. It will work equally well with the radio in USB or LSB. The only difference will be your radio's dial reading.

It is common practice to use USB on all bands in order for everyone to have the same dial reading but it doesn't affect the ability to copy the signal.
KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:46:42 AM »

Have you tried a different PSK31 program? I would suggest that you try digipan and see if that works any better. Your soundcard appears to be seeing the signal as it's showing the peaks on the spectrum display. I have used Winpsk on two laptops using stock on-board sound successfully. I have had to adjust soundcard timing to function properly on one setup. Soundcard modes have generally worked for me with very little tweaking required for any of the programs. Good luck and don't give up. It's very easy to use once you figure this out and you'll get lots of enjoyment from it.

N4CLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »

Well here is another question regarding decoding problems.  I was and have been under the impression that it is better to get the audio that you want to decode from a place in the receiver other than Speaker audio.  It is kind of like getting unprocessed audio in your FM receiver directly from the discriminator on the hi side of the volumn control.  

I too am having problems decoding using the speaker audio on my FT-857D.  I guess my question is this, why can't you use or get some kind of audio from these radios that remains at a constant level, one that is not processed, and one that is not adjustable from the front panel ie "VOL".  Then set your levels in the sound card windows, and our setup is setup for your particular station. It just seems to me that you are fighting a never ending battle to shape your audio, from some hardware designer that was tone deaf and  decided that "YOU" needed to "HEAR" that radio audio this particular way.  You have to grant me this, there are NO two radios that produce the same audio characteristics, therefore how can all these different programs that, decode PSK31, deal with all the different audio characteristics.  They just sort of do the best they can.  

Am I off base here?

I guess what I am really asking is this.  Can I not use the 6 pin mini din connection on the back of my FT-857D to get this audio?  And if so, where can one find a cable that has that din connector and 3.5mm connectors on the other ends of that cable for Tx audio and Rx audio?

Thanks for listening.
WU6X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »

I'm using WinPSKse also, speaker "fixed output" into the speaker input on a Signalink SL-1+ and decoding with no problems.

Check the "Settings" menu, sound card tab and make sure the software found your sound card. Also, do the Receive Level Adjust in the same menu, if you haven't tried that already.

I'm using the Data port from the FT-867D ... works great on RCVE, having trouble getting XMIT setup, however. New radio ... lots of menus! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: