Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer install recommendations.  (Read 24159 times)
KG6YSF

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »

The wife and I are looking at a camper for camping and touring our great nation. I have been thinking a bit about radios and antennas and have decided to go with the Yeasu FT-897 or 857 so would like some input on those radios as well antennas to use with them. The trailer is an "RPod" about 15ft long with fiberglass body with aluminum frame. I was thinking of a screwdriver for the HF duties and a tri-bander for the UHF/VHF side. Now the fiberglass body is one issue for the antennas, the trailer is pretty small so I want to stay with a single radio of compact nature. I figured that the bumper would be the most likely spot for the antenna to be mounted, however, I figured that there was a lot of accumulated experience hear to tap into for ideas.
So please give me the ideas that have and have not worked for you when installing radios into travel trailers.
Thanks all.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:43:50 AM »

Go to my web site, and read the OTR/RV article.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »

The wife and I are looking at a camper for camping and touring our great nation. I have been thinking a bit about radios and antennas and have decided to go with the Yeasu FT-897 or 857 so would like some input on those radios as well antennas to use with them. The trailer is an "RPod" about 15ft long with fiberglass body with aluminum frame. I was thinking of a screwdriver for the HF duties and a tri-bander for the UHF/VHF side. Now the fiberglass body is one issue for the antennas, the trailer is pretty small so I want to stay with a single radio of compact nature. I figured that the bumper would be the most likely spot for the antenna to be mounted, however, I figured that there was a lot of accumulated experience hear to tap into for ideas.
So please give me the ideas that have and have not worked for you when installing radios into travel trailers.
Thanks all.

Being that 897 is out of production because display is no longer available I would advise against it.  You might consider a Kenwood 480 SAT with optional MB 480 that mounts head and body together with a handle. Its built in tuner can handle up to about a 4 to 1 SWR to make portable dipoles easier to use and it is still in production. They also have a 200 watt version without a built in tuner.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »

Although it is not the best antenna in the world, the ATAS 120 works well with the Yaesu ft 857 (or 897).  It will autotune with the push of 1 button on freq's from 440 MHz to 40 meters. It does require a good ground but is slick to use.

Being you are going to use it "mobile" but kind of fixed, you could use most anything for an antenna if you don't mind putting it up and down when you want to use it.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »

K0BG I have your website book marked already so I will go back to it and read some more.

I don't want to have an antenna that has to be put up and then taken down, we only stay in one place for a couple days at a time. Hence I would like to use something more like a screwdriver for HF. A mobile 2m, 70cm, 6m one or two to cover those bands.

My biggest question was in getting the system mounted and grounded properly. As for the radio I guess I didn't know that the 897 series was out of production, guess I'll look more at the 857. I figured that the 897 being bigger it may have more direct access functions via buttons instead of menu accessed functions. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »

I figured that the 897 being bigger it may have more direct access functions via buttons instead of menu accessed functions. 

Not really as the 857 and 897 share a lot of circuitry. If you want a lot of features via direct access you need to look to another brand.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 04:55:56 PM »

That is true, my wife has an 897, as she is disabled she uses it through a computer using HRD which suits her.
That gives access to pretty well all functions. I prefer hands on
For HF in our caravan I prefer our Kenwood TS570dge and mobile, my ICOM 706mk2g.

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »

Truly not set on either radio I am wanting a radio that does have 70CM, 6M, 2M and HF. The trailer is very small and I don't have room for my Kenwood 940SAT and Yeasu FT 8900. The space for the radio dictates that it be mounted under the cabinet over the table. Basically think of the radio you would want if you had to mount one in a Smart Car if you had no choice.

That being said any suggestions would be considered and appreciated.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:22:41 AM »

My own thoughts is ICOM 7000 (recently discontinued) or 7100, that (and the Yaesus) give the option of putting the main body of  the rig anywhere out of the way  just leaving the head unit to worry about.

73 de Tony
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:39:48 AM »

Maybe mount the screwdriver on the towbar, that way you have something solid?
At least you won't hit anything while travelling, even with the biggest screwdrivers.
Would a halo on six be better? Small telescopic mast so the halo is almost flat on the caravan for travelling then extend for when parked up? Unless you specifically need vertical polarity.

73 de Tony
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:38:01 AM »

Truly not set on either radio I am wanting a radio that does have 70CM, 6M, 2M and HF. The trailer is very small and I don't have room for my Kenwood 940SAT and Yeasu FT 8900.

Myself I would never want to "tie up" my HF rig for 2m and 440 FM use. There are small mobiles that will do that nicely and can be mounted separately out of way use less power doing it too. When you limit yourself to the shack in a box concept you limit your choices. I mentioned 480 earlier because it is very user friendly with lots of direct access features and it comes as a remote head unit so you mount main body where convenient.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »

The trailer is very small and I don't have room for my Kenwood 940SAT and Yeasu FT 8900. The space for the radio dictates that it be mounted under the cabinet over the table.

Why not network it and run it wirelessly through a laptop or tablet anywhere in or near the trailer?   Your radio can be mounted anywhere then.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »

Truly not set on either radio I am wanting a radio that does have 70CM, 6M, 2M and HF. The trailer is very small and I don't have room for my Kenwood 940SAT and Yeasu FT 8900.

Myself I would never want to "tie up" my HF rig for 2m and 440 FM use. There are small mobiles that will do that nicely and can be mounted separately out of way use less power doing it too. When you limit yourself to the shack in a box concept you limit your choices. I mentioned 480 earlier because it is very user friendly with lots of direct access features and it comes as a remote head unit so you mount main body where convenient.

Okay? how would having the UHF/VHF HF in one radio ty-up the HF portion? I can only use one frequency at a time. At home no I want separate radios as I have, TS940, FT8900, TR7 MFJ 969. I only want compact and simple for the small space in the trailer.

The trailer is very small and I don't have room for my Kenwood 940SAT and Yeasu FT 8900. The space for the radio dictates that it be mounted under the cabinet over the table.

Why not network it and run it wirelessly through a laptop or tablet anywhere in or near the trailer?   Your radio can be mounted anywhere then.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Well this one is a little beyond me so don't even know where to go. I camp a lot in out of the way back country places. I usually do not camp at a "camp ground." More often than not I am in areas that I have what I brought and nothing more. Frequently an hour from the closest store. If this requires internet it wont happen.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 04:20:15 AM »

Okay? how would having the UHF/VHF HF in one radio ty-up the HF portion? I can only use one frequency at a time. At home no I want separate radios as I have, TS940, FT8900, TR7 MFJ 969. I only want compact and simple for the small space in the trailer.

I have worked portable and mobile a lot out of my car/SUV over last 20+ years and never wished my HF rig covered VHF/UHF. I always had a dual band mobile accessible that I could use as a cross band repeater for my HT so I could work distant stations or repeater from my HT while it was running low power too. It was a lot of fun because it was like a high powered mobile in you hands. NO shack in a box does this. You could even place dual bander in car. You can also monitor FM while working HF too. Further more a shack in a box is a compromise and does not excel at HF or VHF/UHF. When kenwood made 480 they considered shack in a box concept but decided against if for price and performance.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:15:14 AM by W8JX » Logged

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 05:00:07 AM »

Thanks all.
Whatever you do, buy lots of Ferrite's...  I found that Ferrite's on the main inverter 12 leads, with a .01 across them helped me.  I also dropped .1's across all fans, and florescent power leads.  Following that I placed many many 31 mix ferrite's all over on anything I could...  Dropped my noise level from 10 over S9, to S3 to S4 on 40.  I have a blog entry on what to look for in the home that generates RFI...  It is located at:

http://nk7z.net/rfi-now-house-cleaning/

It is part II of a multi part set of articles covering what I did to rid myself or RFI...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: