Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer install recommendations.  (Read 23724 times)
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:18:29 AM »

Why not network it and run it wirelessly through a laptop or tablet anywhere in or near the trailer? 

If this requires internet it wont happen.

It requires a wireless router and a few other pieces of support equipment.  Not much different setup than if you were to remote your station through the internet but in this application internet is not required.  Pretty "geeky" to get going but I'm just offering it as an option.  I do this at home and it's fun/useful to be able to run your hamshack from the livingroom couch or out on the patio.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »

A small screwdriver mounted on a motorized mount will let you raise and lower it with a flip of a switch and If you use the ft 857 / ATAS 120 set up, you will be very handy.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »

Why not network it and run it wirelessly through a laptop or tablet anywhere in or near the trailer? 

If this requires internet it wont happen.

It requires a wireless router and a few other pieces of support equipment.  Not much different setup than if you were to remote your station through the internet but in this application internet is not required.  Pretty "geeky" to get going but I'm just offering it as an option.  I do this at home and it's fun/useful to be able to run your hamshack from the livingroom couch or out on the patio.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

You miss the point.... He wants to have a station to take camping and not need internet or even a PC or tablet to use it locally.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 01:19:09 PM »

The FT-8900 Yeasu has cross band ability and I have used it several times for various events like bike races and such. If the XYL and I separate for some reason ie a run to the store or something I would like to be able to stay in touch even if we do not have access to a repeater. HTs are great but as implied earlier they are low power and some times you need more power to keep in contact. The N Ca coast is a perfect example for this, not very good repeater coverage and an HT is almost useless unless you can see the other person. Some areas require higher power for comms and my XYL is a Tech so no HF for her barring a true emergency.
Also I am a huge fan of the KISS principle. For those who may not know KISS stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid." Though I can pass the test the tech aspect is not my strong suit. As well I have MS that is affecting my memory, so I try to keep things simple so as to have a basic, solid, working system. This is all I want. Nothing fancy just a solid working system.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »

He wants to have a station to take camping and not need internet or even a PC or tablet to use it locally.

1. Can you show me where he said that before I posted?
2. Remoting radios via wifi does *not* require internet.

He does have some conflicting requirements - "small" for the confined space of the trailer, the predetermined operating point is at the trailer table, but wants a "larger" radio like an 897 for knobs instead of menus.

Controlling a radio with a laptop or tablet mitigates these problems, at the expense of some additional complexity.  Just offering it as an option.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 04:24:55 AM »

He wants to have a station to take camping and not need internet or even a PC or tablet to use it locally.

1. Can you show me where he said that before I posted?
2. Remoting radios via wifi does *not* require internet.

He does have some conflicting requirements - "small" for the confined space of the trailer, the predetermined operating point is at the trailer table, but wants a "larger" radio like an 897 for knobs instead of menus.

Controlling a radio with a laptop or tablet mitigates these problems, at the expense of some additional complexity.  Just offering it as an option.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Your suggestion makes it more complex and requires more pieces to complete puzzle. not a good solution

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »

Well I would rather have a simple system, radio and antennas. I am dealing with a trailer that is notoriously hard to get a GOOD ground on and is very noisy. I am going to run two 6v solar batteries with solar panels when not in a camp w/hookups. So as we know solar charge controllers are noisy so this will not help. I have a lot to deal with with out making things more complicated. I am good to keep a computer operating right for three years so I'm not great with them. I do not own a smart phone or tablet, and don't want one,  so that wont happen.
In my terms "small" is relative. The 897 and 857 are ones that I am familiar with. Their size is optimal. I do not want a radio that takes up a lot of space ie Kenwood TS940. I would like to mount it to the bottom of the cabinet over the table. Not have it on the table. The cabinets in newer travel trailers are particle board so light weight is good. Yes I will put a support plate on the inside of the cabinet to spread the load. Still I do not want a radio that is large and heavy. I would prefer one radio but if I have to I will do separate radios. Remember the key word is K.I.S.S.
Radio recommendations and antenna recommendations please? Think permanently mounted mobile or base antennas that are easily erected, ie. screw on a couple parts, extend a telescopic vertical... I really do not want something that takes a bunch of effort or time to put into operation. We will for the most part not be in one spot for more than 2 days and then on to another spot. We will initially do this for about two months as we tour the nation.     

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

I still think you should look at a 480. Control head weighs about 3 lbs and main body 7 lbs. I can handle high duty cycles much better than a 857 and has bigger display and more button direct access. The 100 watt version will auto tune any reasonably resonant antenna.   Mount main body remotely and use control head where ever you operate from.  Some pictures below.

http://www.pa3eke.nl/joomla/images/stories/tranceivers/kenwood_ts-480/ts-480-uitgeneden.png

http://www.rhuss.cncfamily.com/ts480-lg.gif

front of main body
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RJPziotD17o/UYuwYSXL8iI/AAAAAAAACFw/LeI3vO9nohE/s1600/0480frnt.jpg

rear of 480 SAT 100 watt with built in tuner
http://images.kenwood.eu/files/image/257/8/original/ts-480sat_body-back_image.jpg

rear of 480 HX 200 watt no tuner
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0480rear.jpg

W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »

On my motorhome I currently have for stationary antennas a Eagle One 31' vertical and a Arrow 2m/440 J-Pole. For mobile a 108'' and Hustler whips, and a short Larsen 2m/440. Radio was a Kenwood 480, now moving to an Icon 7100. These radio have a separate head unit and radio unit. The radio unit is in a storage compartment near the antennas which are mounted to the rear ladder.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »

If you go to the link you will get a much better Idea of what I am up against.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skooterpics/4960582100/in/set-72157624880282924

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »

If you go to the link you will get a much better Idea of what I am up against.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skooterpics/4960582100/in/set-72157624880282924

All the more reason to use a rig with a remote head and built in tuner. Your can locate main body where it will fit. 

KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »

I am not against remote head radios by any means I like them actually. The Yeasu FT-8900 in my wife's Durango is mounted that way. I am not wanting to have to do a involved install with a lot of tech and moving parts. I would like as simple as possible with the least amount of individual pieces as feasible. While keeping a solid working system. So I am beginning to look at radio options other than the Yeasu 897 or 857 as well as separate VHF/UHF options. My biggest question now is antennas, mainly mounting options as places look very scarce on the trailer.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:49 AM »

I belive at least the FT 857 has a remote mountable head.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »

For the HF aerial, I would still say mount it on the towbar. It is part of a steel A frame together with the axle.
The only substantial chunk of metal

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »

I'd mount it on the tow bar, directly in front of the body. Since the body is fiberglass it won't affect the antenna much. That should provide the best ground for the antenna plus the metal frame will have the best capacitive coupling to the Earth below it. You could also carry some extended length whips for the antenna that could be added for better efficiency on the lower band while parked.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: