Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI from neighbor's disconnected cable service box  (Read 18195 times)
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »

Don't say I told you to do this, and I'll deny I posted it here. ( I'll say my account was hacked).
If you can seek over to the cable box armed with a hand full of F-type male 75 ohm TV cable terminators. You can put them on the end of each and every cable connector you can find in that box. That should reduce or eliminate your noise source.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »

I remember reading some time ago that leaky cable TV connections accounted for over 50% of RFI problems in the US. It was so bad that the FAA did random detection around airports and found that the leaky connections did cause issues with aircraft systems and terminal communications.

I lived in Vegas for a year and never had to subscribe to cable TV. The terminal box was in-grould on the line between me and the house next door. They suscribed and when the tech hooked them up, he left all the other connections unterminated. There was enough signal radiated and contained in the in-ground bos that my unconnected 75 ohm CATC acted like an antenna. Sure I didn't get all the channels, needed a converter box to get that, but I was able to get enough to watch.

In my area (Northern Virginia) the cable companies can;t keep up with the growth so the sub out the installs to any one with a ladder and a pair of pliers. We get some pretty bad interference from the cable drops.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: